News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 15, 2017, 04:12:49 AM
You guys are all talking about colors (when making these comparisons to Schleich).

The level of craftsmanship is still characteristically Papo. Well, the Polacanthus is somewhat less detailed, but you guys know what I mean.

Papo has gotten so much criticism over the years for choosing earth tones (grays, greens and browns).

Now that Papo is experimenting with reds, oranges, greens, blues and other hues they are being chided again.

Poor Papo.

Bright colors don't automatically equate to cartoony. Real life parrots are not cartoony.
I get opinions change constantly, but I can't help but agree. Artistically I love this new direction we're seeing from Papo, they've always done great detail work and between the wondrously bright Ceratosaurus and the almost jet black Kaprosuchus these past few years they've really started to embrace that aspect of their dinosaurs and focus on visual impression instead of staying true to source material, and it's paying off great in my opinion.

Silvanusaurus

I fail to comprehend how these new figures could be seen as less realistic or believable than their ridiculously exaggerated running T rex, or their floppy-handed dragon Allosaurus. Also, it's very strange to compare Rebor favourably in this regard, given that their figures are generally much closer to Schleich than these, in terms of being stylised in a way that appears 'cartoony'.

Flaffy

I've come to be really fond of these more adventurous yet realistic colour schemes on Papo standards.
I don't see how this year's offering are more cartoonish than their previous offerings.

Takama

I honestly have no problem with these new Color Schemes. The only one i DO NOT like is repainted Oviraptor,

Also Anyone remember the Syrachosaurus?   The first Pink Dinosaur every made in high detail?

CityRaptor

I have that one.

As for the Oviraptor, the colorscheme is based on a Cassowary.

And I fail to see how anyone could compare this year's offering to the junk Schleich produces. Bold colors, if done right, as in this case, do not make animals looking cartoony. The only reason we are used to browns and greys is because we mostly focus on mammals in the modern world. Most other animals however have a wide range of colors.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Quote from: Takama on February 15, 2017, 09:01:32 PM
Anyone remember the Syrachosaurus?   The first Pink Dinosaur every made in high detail?

I strongly suspect Collecta's new Styracosaurus model is inspired by Papo's for the colour, it's a very similar salmon-pink.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 17, 2017, 01:21:03 AM
Quote from: Takama on February 15, 2017, 09:01:32 PM
Anyone remember the Syrachosaurus?   The first Pink Dinosaur every made in high detail?

I strongly suspect Collecta's new Styracosaurus model is inspired by Papo's for the colour, it's a very similar salmon-pink.

Haha, I see what you did there  ;) :)

Dobber

Glad you all like the figures, I really do. Sorry my opinion seems to offend some of you so much that it seems to be devolving into backhanded insults. So much for forum decor  ::)

Chris

Edited for spelling mistake.
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

japfeif

Agree on the fact that Papo gets always criticism, whatever they do. Personally I don't think they are depreciating to Schleich levels, the acro could have been better but still a different class than anything from Schleich. To say that their latest models look cartoony seems a bit unfair to me, but then is quite a subjective idea, for me most of the Wild Safaris look cartoony. To each their own.
[/quote]

yep, Papo is like the Nickleback or Creed of the dino figure world.....a great product but no matter what they do always seem to garner the hate! I personally can't wait for the new crop to become available. A bit disappointed in the Polacanthus & it's weird head, as it's one of my favorite dinos, but also, until we actually  get one in our hands, we are not 100% positive how it will look. It MIGHT not be as odd as the pic shows. Same with the Acro & it's oversized head. It could just be how the pic came out....the guy holding it might have had the head a bit more toward the camera. Actually, in other pics I've seen the head doesn't seem to look that bad to me. The Cerato DOES seem to  have a bit oversized forelegs, but then again that genus DID have arms that were rather large. Again, we will see when we shall see....!  8)

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like him, should attract a lot of attention both on collector's shelves and stores.

Shonisaurus

It looks great but I liked it more in his promotional photo. On the other hand it seems as if it were shrouded or perhaps it is a figuration of mine. But the saying looks good although it seems to be a bit stunted.

terrorchicken

I think he's very nice! I like him better than the Safari version.

Saurox

These pictures look much better than the more recent 'in hand photos'.

Very much looking forward to getting this.

Shonisaurus

It looks like he's in an attacking position. I have noticed the figure and it is as always in Papo very detailed and worked, for me it is the star product of Papo this year along with the cryolophosaurus although I have to add that I like the first more because it is more realistic from the point of Scientific view.  :)

pylraster

It does feel quite too small. However, it is much better than the Papo Allo. Forearms are bit too big though.

Reptilia

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 17, 2017, 03:45:39 PM
New photos of the Acro.

Where are these new pics coming from? According to Everything Dinosaur all three theropods (plus the Dimorphodon and the two mammals) won't be available before the summer.

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 17, 2017, 04:36:19 PM
I think he's very nice! I like him better than the Safari version.

Well, honestly it's not that hard to beat the Safari version.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 18, 2017, 01:00:48 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 17, 2017, 03:45:39 PM
New photos of the Acro.

Where are these new pics coming from? According to Everything Dinosaur all three theropods (plus the Dimorphodon and the two mammals) won't be available before the summer.

I found these posted by Everything Dinosaur on FB.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Reptilia

Ah ok, thanks!

Everything Dinosaur specifies that it's a production piece. I remember last year the sculptor was concerned about mass production cheapening the fine detail of his works, well it seems like Papo listened to him and raised the bar of their quality standards. They were already on a high level but seems like 2016 models, and even more the upcoming ones, differ very little from the prototypes.

Faelrin

That Acro looks a bit better to me in those images then the first images of it. Having different angles really do make a difference in how something looks. Of course seeing something in person is probably always the best way to know if one likes something or not.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: