News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Oh nice, the figures this year are not oversized, and hopefully not too pricey like last years offerings.

dragon53

Thanks for the great photos. The Papo Acrocanthosaurus looks more detailed than my Rebor one.
So is the Papo Giganotosaurus really underway and might be released in 2018---or was it just speculation?

Shonisaurus

The ceratosaurus is unfortunately a small retake, the cryolophosaurus is even larger than the ceratosaurus. I do not want to imagine how small the dimorphodon will be, it is seen that the same size as the Tupuxuara.

I expected much larger figures. The acrocanthosaurus is perhaps by far the preferred of this year.

Albertosaurus

The Ceratosaurus is in my opinion the best figure done by Papo so far. It looks fantastic. I just wonder if the paintjob will be that good when they start mass producing them. Probably it will be a good idea to get them as soon as they are available,since the first waves are always the ones with the best paintjob. You just have to look at the latest produced allosaurus...

Quote from: Killekor on February 10, 2017, 10:37:23 AM
OH MY GOD!!!! I want them all!

Killekor

Posting the same thing in every thread...seriously dude...stop it.

Killekor

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 10, 2017, 05:19:22 PM
Quote from: Killekor on February 10, 2017, 10:37:23 AM
OH MY GOD!!!! I want them all!

Killekor

What do you mean, sorry?

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

terrorchicken

those are some real beauties, maybe my favorite theropod figures Papo's ever done.

Albertosaurus

So Papo is being accurate this time around! Great! -Scroll down a bit when you click the link below to see what I mean-

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4975032959

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 10, 2017, 10:54:18 PM
So Papo is being accurate this time around! Great! -Scroll down a bit when you click the link below to see what I mean-

The ceratosaurus model looks much better than the prototype. With that attitude (that of the company chat) should go another company that manufactures among other things prehistoric dinosaurs that we know well and that is from Germany and unfortunately continues in its thirteen and that yes with all due respect and with very few exceptions do Bad or very bad figures regardless of whether they are intended for the most childish audience, but making a constructive criticism.

Learn from this company Papo whose figures are beautifully modeled and detailed.

Reptilia

Quote from: dragon53 on February 10, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
So is the Papo Giganotosaurus really underway and might be released in 2018---or was it just speculation?

As far as we know it is only speculation, exactly like the Iguanodon.

The Ceratosaurus is in my opinion the best figure done by Papo so far. It looks fantastic. I just wonder if the paintjob will be that good when they start mass producing them. Probably it will be a good idea to get them as soon as they are available,since the first waves are always the ones with the best paintjob. You just have to look at the latest produced allosaurus...

Agree, I still have to find a decently painted Allosaurus.

Quote from: Derek.McManus on February 10, 2017, 11:08:14 AM
Again more bold type capital letters and exclamation marks really Killekor are you trying to upset people?

Sorry guys, I don't want to sound patronizing but it's not telling him how to behave that you'll serve your purpose. There's already been an OT in another thread because people basically asked Killekor to be banned, I think that is up to moderators to call him out, in case. I honestly don't see what is so irritating for you, he's not having any abusive or trolling behaviour, he's only a bit exuberant and repetitive. Not a big deal anyway, you can easily ignore him. Just my two cents.

Shadowknight1

With Ceratosaurus, yes.  Can't say to most of the others, but they did make a slight goof with Acrocanthosaurus that I didn't notice until checking it against some skull restorations, specifically a picture of NCMS 14345, aka. Fran.  While the upper skull is very well done, they did miss a detail that REBOR actually caught when it came to the lower jaw.  Acrocanthosaurus' lower jaw is curved at the front at an angle on the Papo figure, but in reality, the front of an Acrocanthosaurus' lower jaw is blocky as it is on the REBOR figure.  On the flip side, REBOR went a bit overboard with the "eyebrow" ridges on their Acro, so it evens out.  Honestly, I love both figures and can't wait to display the Papo alongside the REBOR.  Maybe I'll give "Herc" his snack and  have the other Acro roaring to fend off a bunch of opportunistic Deinonychus. ;D
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

No they aren't. Following the skeleton isn't always going to be accurate, it's just following the skeleton. The Ceratosaurus is shrink-wrapped, especially the skull.

And the Acrocanthosaurus isn't even accurate to the skeleton.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 11, 2017, 03:07:14 AM

No they aren't. Following the skeleton isn't always going to be accurate, it's just following the skeleton. The Ceratosaurus is shrink-wrapped, especially the skull.

And the Acrocanthosaurus isn't even accurate to the skeleton.

It would have been nice if it wasn't shrink-wrapped, but at least it doesn't look ghastly/ghoulish like some of the CollectaA and Schleich theropods. I do think Papo is paying more attention to particularities than in previous years, though.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 11, 2017, 06:46:47 AM
It would have been nice if it wasn't shrink-wrapped, but at least it doesn't look ghastly/ghoulish like some of the CollectaA and Schleich theropods. I do think Papo is paying more attention to particularities than in previous years, though.
For sure! I actually quite like how the Ceratosaurus looks, if it was accurate it would loose some of that chameleon influence.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 11, 2017, 06:46:47 AM
It would have been nice if it wasn't shrink-wrapped, but at least it doesn't look ghastly/ghoulish like some of the CollectaA and Schleich theropods.

Or the PNSO Tyrannosaurus Wilson. :))

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 11, 2017, 02:04:25 AM
With Ceratosaurus, yes.  Can't say to most of the others, but they did make a slight goof with Acrocanthosaurus that I didn't notice until checking it against some skull restorations, specifically a picture of NCMS 14345, aka. Fran.  While the upper skull is very well done, they did miss a detail that REBOR actually caught when it came to the lower jaw.  Acrocanthosaurus' lower jaw is curved at the front at an angle on the Papo figure, but in reality, the front of an Acrocanthosaurus' lower jaw is blocky as it is on the REBOR figure.  On the flip side, REBOR went a bit overboard with the "eyebrow" ridges on their Acro, so it evens out.  Honestly, I love both figures and can't wait to display the Papo alongside the REBOR.  Maybe I'll give "Herc" his snack and  have the other Acro roaring to fend off a bunch of opportunistic Deinonychus. ;D

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the front of the Papo Acrocanthosaurus's lower jaw...  However, the Papo Acrocanthosaurus's head, forelimbs and feet look ENORMOUS compared to the rest of it!:

Shonisaurus

The acrocanthosaurus of Papo is my star figure, but regardless of that, it seems by the photograph as a shrunken or crouching figure. Maybe it does not look good from the angle of the photo. Photos of the upright figure of this figure have not yet been published, but simply those that are held in the hand of the photo have been published. It looks like a foreshortening.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2017, 04:47:58 PM
I'm not seeing anything wrong with the front of the Papo Acrocanthosaurus's lower jaw...  However, the Papo Acrocanthosaurus's head, forelimbs and feet look ENORMOUS compared to the rest of it!:

snipped pictures

On the Papo, the front of the jaw makes an angle like _/ that.  It should be a little more squared off.  And the proportions might be better than it seems because in that skeletal, the arms are tucked in closer to the body whereas the figure is crouched down.  And...no offense to Hartman, but that skeletal is done a bit wrong in regards to the Acro's arms.  He has the elbow bent at a right angle, and Acrocanthosaurus can't bend its arms that way.  The read-up on this is here.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Thanks for your reply, Shadowknight1.  Regarding the front of the lower jaw, I had thought the reason it looks like that on the Papo Acrocanthosaurus could be due to soft tissue going over the teeth and gums, but I guess that doesn't work since it doesn't have lips.  So I agree with you that it looks a bit off.

It does appear the elbow is bent at a right angle in Scott Hartman's Acrocanthosaurus skeletal.  Looking at the Acrocanthosaurus Wikipedia page, the Acrocanthosaurus skeleton shown in photos there also appears to be bending its elbows at right angles.  Some of the Acrocanthosaurus in this image from a 2016 paper also appear to be bending their elbows at right angles: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Theropod_courtship.jpg  It seems weird they all appear to get this wrong!

BlueKrono

But if the new Dimetrodon reconstruction taught us anything, it's that mounted skeletons in museums aren't always accurate to life.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Dobber

I'm glad Sim pointed it out because I thought I was the only one that thought the head on Acrocanthosaurus looked ridiculously over sized. It just looks silly...like it is a Schiech toy or something.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

BlueKrono

Quote from: Dobber on February 12, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
I'm glad Sim pointed it out because I thought I was the only one that thought the head on Acrocanthosaurus looked ridiculously over sized. It just looks silly...like it is a Schliech toy or something.  :-\

Chris
::shots fired::
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: