News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figure in Absentia

Started by BlueKrono, January 23, 2017, 01:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Quote from: sauroid on January 24, 2017, 07:41:03 AM
Saurophaganax would be nice, if you'd consider that as a valid species and not just an oversized Allosaurus.

CollectA made one.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/02/28/saurophaganax-collecta/
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

oh cool thanks for reminding me.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Stegoceras has also been made for Transmutazors, and there's a Shapeways figure of it.

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 24, 2017, 07:23:53 AM
You guys have put up some excellent suggestions though! I'd say Massospondylus, Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus, Bagaceratops, Austroraptor and Epidexipteryx would make a good short list. Personally I'd say it's a toss-up between Bagaceratops and Massaspondyus.

It seems Massospondylus might have been made, if the figure shown here is one?: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2513.0  If that figure doesn't represent Massospondylus, I'd say Massospondylus would belong on the short list.  I think Anchisaurus should be on the list too.  Others that could possibly also go on the list are Dakotaraptor and Shuvuuia.  Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus and Bagaceratops seem very obscure to me though...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 24, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
Stegoceras has also been made for Transmutazors, and there's a Shapeways figure of it.

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 24, 2017, 07:23:53 AM
You guys have put up some excellent suggestions though! I'd say Massospondylus, Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus, Bagaceratops, Austroraptor and Epidexipteryx would make a good short list. Personally I'd say it's a toss-up between Bagaceratops and Massaspondyus.

It seems Massospondylus might have been made, if the figure shown here is one?: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2513.0  If that figure doesn't represent Massospondylus, I'd say Massospondylus would belong on the short list.  I think Anchisaurus should be on the list too.  Others that could possibly also go on the list are Dakotaraptor and Shuvuuia.  Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus and Bagaceratops seem very obscure to me though...

I for one heard about Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus, and Bagaceratops before I heard of Dakotaraptor or Shuvuuia. But that might reflect my age, since the latter two were of course described during my lifetime.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Yeah, looks like Masso's out. See? This was a good question. If Dakotaraptor doesn't have a figure yet I think that would take the cake, even beating out Austroraptor and Bagaceratops.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

'Timurlengia euotica' it seems to me that it has never been done at least it does not sound to me.

Sim

I don't think Timurlengia is as well-known/popular as other genera mentioned in this thread.

This skeletal reconstruction is from the paper that names it: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/03/08/1600140113/F1.expansion.html

As the paper acknowledges:
QuoteSkeletal reconstruction of T. euotica, with known bones colored in red. Individual bones come from different individuals, as they were surface-collected as isolated specimens in the Bissekty Formation of Uzbekistan. The proportions of the skeleton are based on an intermediate body type between Xiongguanlong and Tyrannosaurus but should be considered provisional until associated material is found.

Not only is most of Timurlengia's skeleton not known, but the parts that are known come from different individuals, so they might actually be from more than one species.  I would like to see less figures of animals like Timurlengia where the appearance has to be invented, and more figures of neglected prehistoric animals which are known from remains that are good enough for reconstructions of them to be recognisable as that animal.

Roselaar

Apparently MacMillan's misspelled Parksosaurus as 'Parkosaurus'. I already thought so.

As for Chasmosaurus, there's two versions of the JP toy, the one from Lost World Series 1 and the one from JP Dinosaurs 1. There's also a Yowies figure not yet mentioned.

Saurophaganax has also been done a few times by Sega for their various Dinosaur King lines.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 24, 2017, 07:37:52 PM
'Timurlengia euotica' it seems to me that it has never been done at least it does not sound to me.

Yes, there are hundreds of obscure dinosaurs out there that no figure exists of. This one in particular is especially unlikely, seeing how it was named only last year. I'd never heard of it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on January 25, 2017, 02:39:20 PM
Apparently MacMillan's misspelled Parksosaurus as 'Parkosaurus'. I already thought so.

As for Chasmosaurus, there's two versions of the JP toy, the one from Lost World Series 1 and the one from JP Dinosaurs 1. There's also a Yowies figure not yet mentioned.

Saurophaganax has also been done a few times by Sega for their various Dinosaur King lines.
thanks for additional Saurophaganax info. (and to think i have the SEGA dino king Saurophaganax figure/s :-\ )

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on January 25, 2017, 01:19:33 AM
I don't think Timurlengia is as well-known/popular as other genera mentioned in this thread.

This skeletal reconstruction is from the paper that names it: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/03/08/1600140113/F1.expansion.html

As the paper acknowledges:
QuoteSkeletal reconstruction of T. euotica, with known bones colored in red. Individual bones come from different individuals, as they were surface-collected as isolated specimens in the Bissekty Formation of Uzbekistan. The proportions of the skeleton are based on an intermediate body type between Xiongguanlong and Tyrannosaurus but should be considered provisional until associated material is found.

Not only is most of Timurlengia's skeleton not known, but the parts that are known come from different individuals, so they might actually be from more than one species.  I would like to see less figures of animals like Timurlengia where the appearance has to be invented, and more figures of neglected prehistoric animals which are known from remains that are good enough for reconstructions of them to be recognisable as that animal.

I know that unfortunately very little is known of that species but I assumed that it is not yet in the toy market.

Shonisaurus

I understand that the garudimimus has never been made into toy figures and it is a well-known animal that preserves its skull.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 26, 2017, 07:33:56 PM
I understand that the garudimimus has never been made into toy figures and it is a well-known animal that preserves its skull.

Wow, I think you're right about that. That would definitely be a strong contender! Garudimimus is definitely one of the best known ornithomimids.

Sim

Roselaar

BlueKrono

Ah, okay. If they're sure about the ID. Personally I've never heard of Castings before.

Sim

Garudimimus is what they're calling that figure on their website: http://www.miniaturemolds.com/Dinosaur-Molds_c61.htm

BlueKrono

While there's been a lot of hype around Epidexipteryx and its relatives, they're so new I think it's only a matter of time before they get their own figure. Yi Qi got one in 2016. I think at this point Dakotaraptor is the most well known, but it's also a fairly recent discovery. Of the ones that have been around for a while, no one seems interested in making a Bagaceratops, but they go nuts on just about every other ceratopsian.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: