News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figure in Absentia

Started by BlueKrono, January 23, 2017, 01:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

So by 2017 we have a pretty extensive selection of dinosaur figures to choose from. What do you think is the most popular/ well known dinosaur (or other prehistoric animal) that DOESN'T yet have a figure made of it?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

Centrosaurus (a very underrated figure in the dinosaur industry) except tyco toys are not made figures of that exceptional dinosaurs. The monoclonius should also be added.

Hadrosaurus is another figure none by the dinosaur and prehistoric animals.

Tarchia is another figure known in the prehistoric world and whose figures are not commercialized in the toy market.

On the other hand regarding pterosaururs is the dsungaripterus (although it has occurred in well-known companies) is not very popular and does not occur in traditional toy companies.

Another figure is the phorusrhacos which unfortunately is not done except some old company.

RobinGoodfellow

There is a classic thread about unique figures started by Roselaar in 2013 and promptly updated:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1369.0
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=763.0

amargasaurus cazaui

If I understand correctly the existing thread, has the purpose of listing those animals with only a single example made. In fact when it was begun I had suggested building alongside it a list of those that had no representative in the toy market, but was denied...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BlueKrono

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 23, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
If I understand correctly the existing thread, has the purpose of listing those animals with only a single example made. In fact when it was begun I had suggested building alongside it a list of those that had no representative in the toy market, but was denied...

How very strange. Why would you be denied starting a thread, and by whom? I don't think anyone's quite gotten what this thread is about yet. It is not a list of dinos that there aren't many of, or only one of, or a list of all species of which there is no figure. I'm just curious which ONE species is the best known, but currently has no figure in existence yet. Since "well known" is rather subjective, I'm just looking for people's opinions here.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 23, 2017, 02:37:56 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 23, 2017, 02:31:32 PM

How very strange. Why would you be denied starting a thread, and by whom? I don't think anyone's quite gotten what this thread is about yet. It is not a list of dinos that there aren't many of, or only one of, or a list of all species of which there is no figure. I'm just curious which ONE species is the best known, but currently has no figure in existence yet. Since "well known" is rather subjective, I'm just looking for people's opinions here.

No, it's a mistake... Amargasaurus was talking about my post... but your thread is not about UNIQUE species in toy form... sorry, it's my fault..  :-[

Halichoeres

The list of valid genera with no representation at all would be thousands deep, though only hundreds if we restricted ourselves to dinosaurs proper. We'd never finish it.

Some animals that are basically completely known, but have never, to my knowledge, been made are Anchisaurus, Kulindadromeus, Panoplosaurus, and Sordes.

Can we include things that have never been made well? Because then we could add Pinacosaurus and Stegoceras, among others.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

By well-known, do you mean quite completely known from fossil remains, or widely known by people?

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 23, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
Centrosaurus (a very underrated figure in the dinosaur industry) except tyco toys are not made figures of that exceptional dinosaurs. The monoclonius should also be added.

Hadrosaurus is another figure none by the dinosaur and prehistoric animals.

Tarchia is another figure known in the prehistoric world and whose figures are not commercialized in the toy market.

On the other hand regarding pterosaururs is the dsungaripterus (although it has occurred in well-known companies) is not very popular and does not occur in traditional toy companies.

Another figure is the phorusrhacos which unfortunately is not done except some old company.

Centrosaurus has been done at least once, by Kabaya: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_011108b.htm  It's also available in another colour scheme (Reply #7084): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg126664#msg126664

Monoclonius isn't a valid genus anymore, and it's been made by both Tyco and Starlux.

Hadrosaurus, despite how fragmentary its remains are, has been made at least twice, by Marx and Planeta DeAgostini.

Phorusrhacos has been made by both Starlux and X-Plus.

BlueKrono

I meant well known by people, though we might only be talking about dinosaur enthusiasts here. Most of the general public can't name five dinosaurs off the top of their head - try asking 'em, it's a fun game! Of the ones Halichoeres named I'd only heard of one - Anchisaurus - and I'm not too bad of a slouch at dinosaurs. Most of the ones we discuss or get excited about have a figure made of them. Granted, this is a dino toy forum, but still... what's most obviously missing? I'm having a hard time coming up with one that's not so obscure no one's heard of it but still has no figure. Thought I'd pose the question to the class.

Sim

In that case, I think it could be Kulindadromeus, Austroraptor or Epidexipteryx.

Roselaar

Checked MacMillan's Illustrated Encyclopedia, still a much beloved, classic repository, to check out any omitted names. Anybody know about figures of these?:

-Saltopus
-Dromiceiomimus
-Efraasia
-Massospondylus
-Lesothosaurus
-Echinodon
-Pisanosaurus
-Homalocephale
-Parkosaurus
-Vectisaurus
-Probactrosaurus
-Prosaurolophus
-Silvisaurus
-Panoplosaurus
-Struthiosaurus
-Bagaceratops

Gwangi

There was a Parkosaurus made for the WWD movie.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on January 23, 2017, 08:26:58 PM
Checked MacMillan's Illustrated Encyclopedia, still a much beloved, classic repository, to check out any omitted names. Anybody know about figures of these?:

-Saltopus
-Dromiceiomimus
-Efraasia
-Massospondylus
-Lesothosaurus
-Echinodon
-Pisanosaurus
-Homalocephale
-Parkosaurus
-Vectisaurus
-Probactrosaurus
-Prosaurolophus
-Silvisaurus
-Panoplosaurus
-Struthiosaurus
-Bagaceratops

That's a good list. There is technically a Silvisaurus and a Lesothosaurus, but the first is pretty crappy and the second is Dinosaur Train, which aren't crap (I mean, they're well made for what they are), but also aren't what most of us collect.

I thought of Dromiceiomimus too, but apparently theropod workers are coming around to the idea that it just represents additional specimens of Ornithomimus. Pity, as Dromiceiomimus has gained fame as one of the characters in Dinosaur Comics.

Anyway, I looked at the list of dinosaurs that Dinosaur Train has featured, and those might be the famous ones in the future as the kids watching it grow up. There's some really obscure species on that show!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I haven't seen any stegoceras, chasmosaurus, or hesperosaurus, as figures. Then there's also invertebrates such as some popular ammonite species like didymoceras.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Pretty sure that for the public all ammonites are the same.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

i cant remember any Chasmosaurus toy figure atm. please remind me.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: sauroid on January 24, 2017, 06:43:36 AM

https://flic.kr/p/JKQ5i9

Also in the Safari Feathered Dinosaurs Toob there is one and on Shapeways ( https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=chasmosaurus&type= ).
Tamiya has one as a kit:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35dinosaur_world/html/60101.htm

BlueKrono

Quote from: sauroid on January 24, 2017, 06:43:36 AM

I've got this JP one, which has at least three color variants:

Geoworld and CollectA also make versions, as well as a couple of well-known paleoartist sculptors.

You guys have put up some excellent suggestions though! I'd say Massospondylus, Probactrosaurus, Prosaurolophus, Bagaceratops, Austroraptor and Epidexipteryx would make a good short list. Personally I'd say it's a toss-up between Bagaceratops and Massaspondyus.

Stegoceras has apparently been made by CM Studios - a pretty neat one:
http://baryonyx-walkeri.deviantart.com/art/Stegoceras-198593200
Homocephale is one of the Panosh dinos. Dinosaur Train makes a Lesothosaurus.

sauroid

Saurophaganax would be nice, if you'd consider that as a valid species and not just an oversized Allosaurus.

and thanks for the Chasmosaurus info folks...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

Quote from: sauroid on January 24, 2017, 07:41:03 AM
Saurophaganax would be nice, if you'd consider that as a valid species and not just an oversized Allosaurus.

and thanks for the Chasmosaurus info folks...

Ooh, that reminds me. You should really check out this video:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5362.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: