News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

More on Spinosaurus' Posture

Started by suspsy, February 25, 2017, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Even though a Spinosaurus fossil was found that was 40% complete, it is still very mysterious.

GasmaskMax

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 10, 2017, 08:27:44 PM
Even though a Spinosaurus fossil was found that was 40% complete, it is still very mysterious.
Very true.

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 10, 2017, 08:27:44 PM

Agreed.

Dinoguy2

Very interesting. I hope he publishes this stuff. There's a very solid testable hypothesis in there. The leg proportions of Spinosaurus match those of birds that walk more upright. I bet Spinosaurus was actually a Godzilla-posed tail dragger and Stromer got it right with his first skeletal!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2017, 03:51:28 PM
Very interesting. I hope he publishes this stuff. There's a very solid testable hypothesis in there. The leg proportions of Spinosaurus match those of birds that walk more upright. I bet Spinosaurus was actually a Godzilla-posed tail dragger and Stromer got it right with his first skeletal!
It probably wasn't able to do that but it's a possibility.

Reptilia

What is the actual consensus for the Serano & Ibrahim reconstruction? I mean, since they pulled it out seems that all average dino fans take for granted the new look of Spinosaurus, but in the scientific community how's that regarded?

CrypticPrism

As far as I'm concerned, it's in between Ibrahim and 2012.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

SpartanSquat

Are you reffering to the look? I think the closest look could be the Spinosaurus seen in Ricardo Delgado Age of Reptiles Ancient Egyptians

If you read the Graphic Novel, you will see the Spinosaurus change from bipedal locomotion to quadrupedal locomotion

CrypticPrism

Yes, in look and posture. I think the general consensus is that it was bipedal.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

AcroSauroTaurus

Its pretty much decided that Spinosaurus was bipedal, and that the spines supported muscles to suspend the front half of the body, as well as walking in a more upright stance. However, we don't even know if the new remains are of Spinosaurus or Sigilmassasaurus, different species in a family can be very different from each other.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Neosodon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 27, 2017, 03:39:25 AM
Its pretty much decided that Spinosaurus was bipedal, and that the spines supported muscles to suspend the front half of the body, as well as walking in a more upright stance. However, we don't even know if the new remains are of Spinosaurus or Sigilmassasaurus, different species in a family can be very different from each other.
What, I read a national geographic not long ago were it was concluded that Spinosaurus was to front heavy to be bipedal. It lumbered around on all fours on land but was quick and deadly in the water like a crocodile. And now it's pretty much decided it was bipedal?
Quote from: CrypticPrism on March 27, 2017, 03:30:44 AM
Yes, in look and posture. I think the general consensus is that it was bipedal.
And now everyone is confident it was bipedal because of this one article? Is there any other support besides this. If a bipedal Spinosaurus is the new generally accepted scientific understanding then it seems like it would be bigger news.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CrypticPrism

spinosaurus is too fragmentary for the census to be very big. Plus, it's just basic logic that a theropod couldn't be quadrupedal.

Reptilia

Quote from: Neosodon on March 27, 2017, 03:54:33 AM
What, I read a national geographic not long ago were it was concluded that Spinosaurus was to front heavy to be bipedal.

That's what I mean when I say that most people take for granted the new reconstruction.

CrypticPrism

Yes, but National Geographic made a 2 hour long documentary sucking up to a fake genus.

stargatedalek

Quote from: CrypticPrism on March 27, 2017, 04:17:11 AM
Yes, but National Geographic made a 2 hour long documentary sucking up to a fake genus.
They also made a documentary about feathering Tyrannosaurus that featured half-feathered dromaeosaurs and oviraptorosaurs with pronated wrists. They aren't exactly a great source.

However, the actual paper generally agrees with their Spinosaurus documentary.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 27, 2017, 05:09:47 AM
Quote from: CrypticPrism on March 27, 2017, 04:17:11 AM
They also made a documentary about feathering Tyrannosaurus that featured half-feathered dromaeosaurs and oviraptorosaurs with pronated wrists. They aren't exactly a great source.

However, the actual paper generally agrees with their Spinosaurus documentary.
The Spinosaurus in the documentary was shown to be able to stand up on its own two feet quite easily and on more than one occasion(48:31 and 50:17).

Halichoeres

For what it's worth, the paleontologists that I know personally have a low opinion of the Ibrahim reconstruction, but I don't know that any of them has examined the material themselves.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Hmm, Google translate fails to transfer the content into an unmistakable text. Knowing the Ibrahim paper but basically nothing more deepr on the matter, with a plain look on the skeletal reconstruction in the blog I fail to see how a creature like that could locomote in an bipedal stance. There's so lot of mass in front of the hind legs, that - no matter how many muscles where attached to the sail (if any) - the tail would have to be unproportionally enormous, a "simple" strong and broad crocodile tail would not suffice on that. If the skeletal reconstruction of Ibrahim is correct, I personally think that Spinosaurus on land looked more like this and moved as big crocs do today: capable of walking quadrupedal and upright for a short distance, but most times just pushing their heavy bodies over the ground with mainly their hind limbs. After all, what good would be a bipedal stance on such tiny feet (compared to the expected mass) when the animal would need to go from water over soft muddy ground to land?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: