News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Utahraptor Skeletal Drawing by Scott Hartman!

Started by suspsy, March 30, 2017, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

That's really great; it's so strange seeing such a stocky dromaeosaur , I kinda dig it. I can't wait for a company like Safari to make a figure based on this.

The Atroxious

Holy...this is not what I expected to see when I logged on today. I'd been waiting for this for years, ever since Hartman told people that the old skeletal was incorrect. I'm kind of stunned right now.

Utahraptor is a really nice looking animal. I've known about the weird jaw for a while, but the tiny hands and flexible tail are interesting. It looks a lot more basal than the other dromaeosaurines I'm familiar with. I wonder if/how these new discoveries will affect its placement on the dromaeosaur tree.

suspsy

It makes wonder whether Dakotaraptor was beefy like Utahraptor or more gracile like Austroraptor.

Minmiminime

The eyes would have been enormous! Potentially, a very versatile and dominant predator indeed. Looking at this skeletal sends shudders down my spine
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Faelrin

I like this one even more now. Really does seem like an oddball when compared to its relatives too with how stocky it is. I have to wonder what it would have been like in the flesh (and feathers).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GasmaskMax

Very plump, bird like look on that thing. I can just see it strutting around like an overfed rooster  ;D

Sim

It's great to finally see the new Utahraptor skeletal!  I'm very surprised by how Utahraptor looks!

Quote from: suspsy on March 30, 2017, 08:10:14 PM
Take a good look at this beefy bad boy, CollectA and Safari!

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/at-long-last-utahraptor

I'm still waiting for a great modern Deinonychus figure!

Quote from: suspsy on March 30, 2017, 10:24:34 PM
It makes wonder whether Dakotaraptor was beefy like Utahraptor or more gracilel like Austroraptor.

Dakotaraptor wasn't beefy like Utahraptor.  In the paper that names Dakotaraptor, there's a striking comparison between the legs of Dakotaraptor and Utahraptor that shows Dakotaraptor has longer and much thinner leg bones than Utahraptor.

Another interesting difference between Dakotaraptor and Utahraptor is that Dakotaraptor, like many dromaeosaurids, has bony rods in its tail.  Utahraptor doesn't have them though, as Scott Hartman mentioned here: link  I'm very surprised it doesn't have the bony rods!  Even Achillobator which appears to be built similar to Utahraptor (comparison below) has the bony tail rods.  The differences between each of the four giant dromaeosaurids (Utahraptor, Austroraptor, Achillobator and Dakotaraptor) are very interesting!  I imagine they reflect their different ecologies. 

Utahraptor
  (image source)

Achillobator
  (image source)

suspsy

Interesting stuff.

The relatively short, flexible tail really is strange given that Achillobator and Dakotaraptor apparently had stiff rod tails. I wonder if any other dromaesaurs possessed such a feature.

CrypticPrism

What if it was a burrow raider? Or maybe it was a burrowER? Like a ground sloth?
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

stargatedalek

Quote from: CrypticPrism on March 31, 2017, 04:25:32 AM
What if it was a burrow raider? Or maybe it was a burrowER? Like a ground sloth?
This would make a lot of sense. The body isn't just robust, it's also compact, and it explains why the tail would be both more mobile and shorter.

CrypticPrism

It also gives me an excuse to draw a raptor in a hole!

suspsy

How would it be a burrower? What would be the advantage of that?

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on March 31, 2017, 03:17:03 PM
Lack of competition for nesting space, safer from predators, and protection from the elements. Once you're this large running and tree climbing become far less appealing methods of defense, but I doubt Utahraptor had the bulk needed to deter all would be predators.

It definitely has the legs and proportions of a burrower, compare to puffins or burrowing owls (although the latter is lithe among its relations).

I'm not saying it's likely given how little we know, but it does fit the skeleton for now.

CrypticPrism

Quote from: suspsy on March 31, 2017, 03:17:03 PM

Why do rabbits make holes to live in? Why do foxes? Badgers?

suspsy

Rabbits, foxes, and badgers are all much smaller than a Utahraptor. They have also evolved forelimbs and claws that can cope with digging. Utahraptor shows no such adaptation.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on March 31, 2017, 05:01:29 PM
Rabbits, foxes, and badgers are all much smaller than a Utahraptor. They have also evolved forelimbs and claws that can cope with digging. Utahraptor shows no such adaptation.
Puffins dig burrows that can stretch tens of meters into the ground using only their feet (not even their claws per-se, the actual toes). Utahraptor has very thick sturdy legs and large feet, it wouldn't need digging forelimbs.

CrypticPrism

A robust body, and a flexible tail that none of its family have except for it seems pretty specialized for me. Also, ground sloths made burrows. They're much bigger than a utahraptor.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 31, 2017, 05:05:45 PM
Quote from: suspsy on March 31, 2017, 05:01:29 PM
Puffins dig burrows that can stretch tens of meters into the ground using only their feet (not even their claws per-se, the actual toes). Utahraptor has very thick sturdy legs and large feet, it wouldn't need digging forelimbs.

I'm still not seeing any real argument for Utahraptor being a burrower.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: