News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo: New for 2018

Started by Carnosaur, August 09, 2017, 03:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 17, 2018, 05:40:00 PM
The limited Rex figures are starting to run low....

Glad mine is in the post then!  I went for the "Tiger" version.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 17, 2018, 08:30:50 PM

Glad mine is in the post then!

Same! Ordered mine just before ED responded to me, so glad I didn't put off buying it for a few days :)

IrritatorRaji

Okay, uh, so the joints are kinda stiff

stargatedalek

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 18, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
Okay, uh, so the joints are kinda stiff

Don't worry that's normal for Sofubi Toybox figures, my penguin was also like this at first. They're nigh-unbreakable so don't be afraid to force them.

DragonRider02

I really like the "Tiger" version, but... No $ to order one;__;

IrritatorRaji

More pics of the Classic Rex. Definitely some pros and cons.

I have to say though, the sculpt it beautiful. Perhaps not as detailed as other figures around its size (e.g Safari's feathered Tyrannosaurus) but still very appealing. The only place it lacks is with the teeth on the lower jaw, but if you keep the jaw "closed" (it doesn't close all the way) it hides the blocky teeth. The model is also very light, it's very surprising how light this model is. I feel like I've got standard CollectA models that weigh more.

I went with the classic colour scheme because, despite it seemingly being based on Zdeněk Burian's painting, it kinda felt a little more realistic to me. More so than a large apex predator being bright orange. It reminded me of the Tyrannosaurus design from that recent BBC documentary. There's also more to the colours than just red and black, the shoulder area is a dark green and the areas running along the spine are purple. Hardly noticeable in low light, but a nice touch none the less.

In regards to the articulation, it's a bit hit and miss. I don't really see the point of the tail being articulated, and the upper jaw being the articulated part is just a little off putting since there's a very noticeable gap at the back of the head to allow for movement.

Also, I've tried absolutely everything, and I just can not get the right leg to move. The ankle moves around nicely, but at the hip the leg just isn't moving. Heaving read so many accounts of people breaking their BotM raptors after forcing stiff joints, I've just decided to live with it and have even manged to get it to stand without moving the right leg! Reminds me a little of the pose of the Papo running Tyrannosaur figures :) Though I did have to move the left ankle inwards quite a bit to make it stand this way. Not so noticeable from the sides, very noticeable from the front and rear.

(Also I'm not displaying it with it's head dipping this far down, this was just to test the limits of how far I could get it to lean forward)

The only one thing about the model that I really don't like is something I'm hoping is exclusive to just my model, as it would be pretty shocking if this were a universal issue. The issue in question being the left arm, it sticks out, does not articulate, and is incredibly loose.

There are also places in the model where details just ceased to exist

Overall though, this figure is pretty good. Not sure how I feel about having spent £40 on it, I think it's a little much, but overall I'm happy to own this figure despite its flaws :)

Minmiminime

Great pics, avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji ! There really is a lot more to this colour scheme. The issues you have noted are interesting; my model has no such moulding issues or lack of detail, and the joints for the most part are pretty flush. I have the opposite problem with the arms, I can't rotate them at all! However as I can't really see the point I can live with this. It's certainly not a perfect model, but it's a beaut nonetheless 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

Thanks! And yep, definitely more to the colours than the stock images would lead you to believe :D

And I'm glad to see that the issues I had aren't universal and are absent from your figure, but still unfortunate that you have your own set of problems. Wish there was just a little more polish with this line, but yeah, like you said, regardless of the issues these are still real beauts ^-^

mgaguilar

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 18, 2018, 11:08:51 PM

Thanks! And yep, definitely more to the colours than the stock images would lead you to believe :D

And I'm glad to see that the issues I had aren't universal and are absent from your figure, but still unfortunate that you have your own set of problems. Wish there was just a little more polish with this line, but yeah, like you said, regardless of the issues these are still real beauts ^-^

Agreed, great coverage as always! Thank you so much for showing this little one off, I feel like it's the only one of the three color-schemes that hasn't yet been too well documented. And it's a beauty at that. This has convinced me to go for this color, though it will have to wait for Rebor's new releases.
And my green figure doesn't have those detail-lacking areas either, looks to be a mold or paint defect. Contact the seller and see if you can arrange something!

I have too many rexes jesus.

Minmiminime

"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 19, 2018, 06:49:34 AM
This has convinced me to go for this color, though it will have to wait for Rebor's new releases.

I'm so happy that my photos were of value to you! :D And I'm glad this underappreciated colour is getting some love (especially considering that Kaiyodo didn't make this easy to love considering its higher price).

If you'd like one of these Rex figures I'd advise not dwelling on it for too long, these figures are limited and, according to EverythingDinosaur, are running low.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 17, 2018, 05:40:00 PM
The limited Rex figures are starting to run low

-----------------------------------------------

Comparison photos over on How these figures look together? :)

Shonisaurus

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji For me it is a great figure and although it has its pro and cons is one of my many favorite figures of prehistoric animals this year. I congratulate you for having the weirdest version of Kaiyodo

IrritatorRaji

Agreed, while the figure definitely has its problems, I feel like the good outweigh the bad :)

JohannesB

I ordered the green one from HLJ as an impulse buy. (I might regret it.) The stock images are of the prototype, and are immaculate. I am wondering how much the real thing will hold up to those "ideal" pics. (I can be rather OCD, especially when such a relatively small toy costs so much.)

IrritatorRaji

They're not the best pics in the world, but there were some images of the green Rex posted in a Facebook group I'm in, I hope they're helpful to you :)

And some images of the figure in it's packaging, can kinda make out the markings

JohannesB

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji

Thanks for the pictures, they are helpful :-) A nice little Tyrannosaurus figure, whatever its shortcomings as an articulated toy. Anatomically also very nicely accurate. I wonder who the sculptor/artist is, and if there are other toy models by her/him.

Shonisaurus

As I said, I have not been to the cinema for economic reasons (I am devoted exclusively to the collection of prehistoric figures and that requires a lot of sacrifice) since 2006 and I did not see the King Kong movie but I have seen the google youtube videos of the fight of King Kong against the vastatosaurus and sincerely I am outraged that a simple monkey can physically with three impressive descendants of the tyrannosaurus rex in evolutionary way, although I know that it is only fiction I am a fan of tyrannosaurus and of the dinosaurs and in the movie of 2005 (as seen on YouTube) they are put as silly animals a vision that for me is very different from the JP / JW version.

Anyway, thanks for recreating avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji that scene of the film with these beautiful figures of Kaiyodo in this case with the green tyrannosaurus of the same brand.

IrritatorRaji

I agree, despite the flaws, these Tyrannosaur figures are still wonderful!

The pictures aren't mine, they're from a Facebook group, they belong to Luke Finch, totally forgot to clarify

terrorchicken

heh nice, love the recreation of that famous scene from King Kong!

Digibasherx

Whoa, I had to double check the ones I got, and luckily for me, none of the ones I have has the molding issue.  I have 2 of tiger, one green and one classic, the joints seem pretty flush, but the tail can get gappy after some fiddling. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: