News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fakes or Leaks? Safari 2018 models

Started by acro-man, August 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

The only one of those I own is the turtle, so I'd say the Daeodon is roughly about 5 inches long. Not sure what scale that makes it.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 21, 2017, 11:38:15 PM
The only one of those I own is the turtle, so I'd say the Daeodon is roughly about 5 inches long. Not sure what scale that makes it.

Ok, thanks. By my calcuations, a 1:40 Daedon should be about 3.5 inches long, if the data I found is correct.

I'm realizing that if the Eofauna steppe mammoth really represents the largest known individual at 1:40 scale, then that mastodon is indeed a little large as somebody claimed earlier in the thread.

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 21, 2017, 11:55:57 PM

Ok, thanks. By my calcuations, a 1:40 Daedon should be about 3.5 inches long, if the data I found is correct.

I'm realizing that if the Eofauna steppe mammoth really represents the largest known individual at 1:40 scale, then that mastodon is indeed a little large as somebody claimed earlier in the thread.

An American Mastodon is about 2.3m at the shoulder (2m - 3m). Daeodon is roughly 1.8m at the shoulder. Allowing for vagaries of sculpting, pose, and photo angle, they are pretty much to scale with each other. Whether they are 1:40 is harder to judge.

PaleoMatt

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Daspletotyrannus

I'm so getting the Mastodon. I will most likely get the Daeodon too. I wonder what other prehistoric animals are coming in 2018. Would be cool if a Ouranosaurus or a Gallimimus are coming in 2018 too.

When Safari going to announce the 2018 line up? I'm not going to get my hopes up.  I remember one year they said that they are releasing 11 new dinosaurs on Facebook then when the line up was shown it wasn't 11. So  with the leaks I hope they don't push it back a year or not release them.  I'm sure they won't.  After seeing the Mastodon I need it. Lol

Halichoeres

Judging by the head of the Kronosaurus, I'd say the Daeodon is probably closer to 1:30. But that's a pretty rough yardstick.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 22, 2017, 07:34:24 AM
WS Mastodon

https://www.facebook.com/monsterhousehk/photos/pcb.1588724887846506/1588723917846603/?type=3&theater

WS Daeodon

https://www.facebook.com/monsterhousehk/photos/pcb.1588724887846506/1588724024513259/?type=3&theater

I wonder where or how Monster House got the pictures, I don't think Safari released any official info yet, or allowed retailers to do so. Hopefully the leaks will prevent them to repeat that irritating game of silhouettes they played last year, which was exclusive to the prehistoric line, so even more irritating.

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on August 22, 2017, 07:38:53 PM
Hopefully the leaks will prevent them to repeat that irritating game of silhouettes they played last year, which was exclusive to the prehistoric line, so even more irritating.

Aw, I enjoyed the silhouette reveals; I thought it was a fun way to do the announcements. More exciting than finding everything out all at once  :D

Jose S.M.

I enjoyed the silhouette game too! It gave us a clue of the line up but let the overall look of the figures in mystery until the reveal.

suspsy

I didn't care for the silhouette game one way or the other. I just hope they start revealing the new line soon.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

I never liked the silhouette game. It's just annoying.

Reptilia

I think that at this point there should be a "New for 2018" child board, we already have info and some official pictures from both Schleich and Safari Ltd.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Reptilia on August 23, 2017, 07:54:11 PM
I think that at this point there should be a "New for 2018" child board, we already have info and some official pictures from both Schleich and Safari Ltd.

Yeah. It'll be September next week.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 23, 2017, 08:44:41 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on August 23, 2017, 07:54:11 PM

Yeah. It'll be September next week.

I'll make it so!

Reptilia

Great Dr Admin! Takama already started a Schleich 2018 thread, I assume it'll be moved to the new section then?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 22, 2017, 06:37:50 PM

Judging by the head of the Kronosaurus, I'd say the Daeodon is probably closer to 1:30. But that's a pretty rough yardstick.

I figured it was too much to hope with the Daedon, but I reeeeeally hope that mastodon turns out to be 1:40! I'm need to have it either way; it would just be nice if it didn't stick out too much compared to my other figures.

ZoPteryx

So happy to see Safari getting back into non-dinos!  I'll definitely be getting both of these and can't wait to see what else they have to offer next year.  :)

Shonisaurus

Honestly now that it's official that the daeodon and mastodon are going to be Safari 2018 figures, I'm delighted they made a prehistoric mammal on a larger scale, it seems made by Doug Watson, I find it a great figure.  8)

The mastodon sincerely does not convince me as much as the daeodon but without offending looks like a prehistoric stuffed mammal (although I also have to recognize as I have said countless times that I am a complete ignorant as a paleontology).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: