News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 19, 2017, 04:31:56 PM
Although I know that most of the members of the forum do not agree, I would like Safari to do a rapetosaurus and with it a majungasaurus or majungatholus. We need wildlife from Madagascar apart from the masiakasaurus.  :)
majugatholus is a junior synonym of majungasaurus. majungasaurus is the correct name for the genus. anyway, i agree, i would live to see safari do either of these animals. but my collection is severely lacking of good, giant sauropod figures. especially the giant titanosaur species :'(

Mauro "Raptor86"

Guys, isn't this the Anzu from safari?

This drawings from Smaniotto is from 2012 https://smnt2000.deviantart.com/art/Trieboldia-Ehrm-I-meant-Anzu-319871282

Loon

Yikes, and here I thought Safari was better than that.

Ravonium

Quote from: Loon on December 20, 2017, 01:46:33 PM
Yikes, and here I thought Safari was better than that.

This is far from the first artwork Safari Ltd has used as 'inspiration', but it is definitely one of the first that wasn't stolen from a famous artist.

Update: Looking back at the figure and comparing it to the actual artwork, it isn't a full-blown copy of the artwork, and has quite a few (mainly anatomical) differences. The head on the Safari Ltd Anzu is feathered, ableit in the colours of the unfeathered head of the Anzu in the artwork. The wings on the Safari Ltd Anzu also look more broad than those in the artwork. Finally, red feathers are used in parts of the tail and wings that are green in the artwork (and in the underside of the Anzu, which isn't feathered in the artwork).

Update 2: Article removed because the author uses an image from the forum without permission, making him look like a hypocrite.

Patrx

Yikes! At least it's just the colors. The pose and density of the feathering are both different between the drawing and the figure.

Halichoeres

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on December 19, 2017, 02:45:10 PM
i really hope that safari will start upping the size on the sauropod figures. honestly, the closest thing we have gotten to amazing large scale sauropod figures were either the carnegie line or PNSO. i needs me some large scale titanosaurs, darn it

I want them to up the size on their figures of large sauropods. I would rather the Amargasaurus had been smaller if anything.

That's really disappointing that the Anzu's colors were lifted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on December 20, 2017, 03:14:42 PM
Yikes! At least it's just the colors. The pose and density of the feathering are both different between the drawing and the figure.

For the record, I was the scientific consultant for the anatomy and pose of the Anzu, which was designed and created from scratch, but I was not involved in colour decisions.

Shonisaurus

By the way, dinotoyforum, do you know when the Safari dimetrodon will be commercialized? For what Dejankins has, we will not have it until January. Honestly this wait is killing me more when I already ordered them to a company of dinosaur toys and resin figures from Germany.  :D

Flaffy

Oh my. Safari, Safari, Safari... Again with the "inspiration". Still not a fan of the colours, both on the figure and the artwork.
Was it really that hard to get an original colour scheme?
-1 for Safari, thought they left their heavy inspiration phase years ago.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 20, 2017, 04:35:26 PM
By the way, dinotoyforum, do you know when the Safari dimetrodon will be commercialized? For what Dejankins has, we will not have it until January. Honestly this wait is killing me more when I already ordered them to a company of dinosaur toys and resin figures from Germany.  :D

I'm not in the know!

Lanthanotus

Well, I pre-ordered all mine from Urzeitshop two days ago and they are now listed as "available" , that includes the Dimetrodon... so if you and the postal service are fast, you may have one before Christmas ( I hope I do :P)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 20, 2017, 05:31:49 PM
Oh my. Safari, Safari, Safari... Again with the "inspiration". Still not a fan of the colours, both on the figure and the artwork.
Was it really that hard to get an original colour scheme?
-1 for Safari, thought they left their heavy inspiration phase years ago.

It's a bit absurd to suggest that you can copyright a colour scheme. Yes, it would have been nice for them to give credit to the original artist, but I don't think copyright is being violated here.

By the way, Dan LoRusso copied (or, was heavily inspired by, as you put it) some existing art for the Terra repaints, including that Riojas pattern that everyone loves. Do any of these ring a bell? :)

I just think there are better things to be worrying about.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 20, 2017, 05:38:42 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 20, 2017, 04:35:26 PM

I'm not in the know!

From what it seems it is already commercialized in urzeitshop.de the dimetrodon since they have sent me the package. He is on his way from Germany to Spain.

I commented because the dimetrodon was in stock and it was true. I will be one of the first people that I will receive the news of Safari 2018.

I will comment if I have time in the forum according to my intuition since my knowledge in paleontology are poor (I know I say it ad nauseam) when the figures receive the opinions of each of them. It is one thing to see the figures in photography and another to see them in person. Although I know that I will like dinosaurs and real prehistoric animals more than virtual ones.

I already have the pleasant experience of having the mastodon (mammoth americanum) and daeodon and I can affirm that I am right.

This year has been a very big year for Safari.  :)

For those who live in Europe is already marketed in urzeitshop.de and no need to preorder since they are all in the store.  ;)

Concavenator

I just picked up the Anzu from Dan 8)

PliosaurusK89

How fast are deliveries from DeJankins?

SidB

Dean is super-prompt. Beyond that, it depends on your location and postal parameters.

Faelrin

Well at least it was just the colors copied and not everything else, like it was with the Oviraptor on nest they did a while back.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

amargasaurus cazaui

I remember when it was mentioned Dan had borrowed inspiration from various artists for some of these repaints and I believe he emailed some of them and explained/asked/mentioned what he was doing or ha done and sought their permission/indulgence of his efforts....I do not remember all the precise particulars, just a vague memory of the issue.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 21, 2017, 02:53:29 AM
I remember when it was mentioned Dan had borrowed inspiration from various artists for some of these repaints and I believe he emailed some of them and explained/asked/mentioned what he was doing or ha done and sought their permission/indulgence of his efforts....I do not remember all the precise particulars, just a vague memory of the issue.

That was good of him. I wonder if Safari did the same.

Everything_Dinosaur

The new for 2018 Wild Safari Prehistoric World models are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur - Przewalski's horse, American Mastodon, Daeodon, Hyaenodon gigas, Macrauchenia, Megacerops, Uintatherium, Dimetrodon, Amargasaurus, Ankylosaurus, Anzu wyliei, Malawisaurus, Regaliceratops and Triceratops.

You can find them all in this section here: Wild Safari Prehistoric Animals

May I take this opportunity to wish all forum members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - compliments of the season to you all.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: