News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indominus

You see, this is why people on this forum can't express their love, or hate, for a particular brand. Let me make something crystal claer to you lot: I'm not a "Papo loyalist". I do not think that their models are 100% perfect, and if you need proof of that, read my criticism of their 2018 lineup on the 2018 Papo thread. I am simply comparing the Safari models to the Papo models, and if you deem that worthy of reporting, go straight ahead and do that, if you think I will be banned simply for expressing my opinion.

Ravonium

I wasn't planning to make a 2nd reply to this but I will say a few more things:

Quote from: indominus on December 21, 2017, 04:30:47 PM
I am simply comparing the Safari models to the Papo models, and if you deem that worthy of reporting, go straight ahead and do that, if you think I will be banned simply for expressing my opinion.

I highly doubt that's the only reason people will report you for. Your initial post was also irrelevant to the actual topic of this thread, which is something you can get banned or at least warned because of.

I'll leave the disputing of your "I'm simply comparing the Safari Ltd models to the Papo models" claim to other members of the forum.

suspsy

Quote from: indominus on December 21, 2017, 04:30:47 PM
You see, this is why people on this forum can't express their love, or hate, for a particular brand.

You know, it is perfectly possible to express love for one brand without denigrating another in the process. Expressing hate is divisive and totally unnecessary.

QuoteI am simply comparing the Safari models to the Papo models, and if you deem that worthy of reporting, go straight ahead and do that, if you think I will be banned simply for expressing my opinion.

Baloney.

You suggested that Safari shouldn't even be in business, then made a wholly unfair comparison between Safari products from 2012 and even older, and Papo products from 2017. As stargatedalek noted, you appear to have done to great lengths to avoid using more recent Safari products, many of which arguably surpass Papo's in overall quality. And you're doing this in the Safari 2018 thread of all places. In doing so, your aim seems to have been to deliberately provoke everyone who genuinely enjoys Safari products, not to mention insult Doug Watson.

If you make such an inflammatory post again, I too will be reporting it if I have the displeasure of seeing it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Take a time out folks, thanks. No more off topic responses please.  C:-)

Shonisaurus

Honestly, all comparison is odious. But if the thread of the comparative photos of dinosaurs of Safari and Papo is to denigrate Safari, I understand that it has been counterproductive for its detractors and even offensive to a pioneer company like Safari and whose figures are among the best in the market like Battat was. and that despite the years do not expire in genius or perfection do Doug Watson (excellent collaborator, whose exceptional contribution and deference with us in the forum makes us delve into the universe of Safari and its figures, attitude not seen by any other sculptor from another toy dinosaur company today), or from any other sculptor like Forest Roger, whose styracosaurus is at the same height as other relevant figures such as Battat Terra.

You should not do destructive commercial criticism or enhance the war between companies as it has done (and I say this with all the respect in the world) Indomimus. The figures of Safari (and I will not refer to any company as a comparative scale) is by far the most scientific from the paleontological and paleoartistic point of all current toy dinosaur companies, without the others ceasing to be great and essential regardless of the criticisms made by each person in each company.

What we should avoid is the war of brands and if you want in any case do as I have already commented constructive criticisms and not denigrating that may offend fans of toy companies such as Safari of which I am a total follower. You may like more or less a figure but we should never insult the work of any paleo artist whatever.

I ask respect for the great figures of Safari who, apart from year after year, surpass themselves day after day as a toy company, their genius never expires in spite of the time as it happens to other toy companies. "Respect to be respected," do not insult Safari or any company and anyone who wants to make constructive criticism because this forum is free to express their opinions without falling into traps saduce and malevolent as the comparison of Safari figures with Papo.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 21, 2017, 04:09:21 PM
Thanks for the esteemed clarification Doug, first of all I did not intend to offend anyone and least of all about the comments of the Safari dimetrodon. Your figure seems to me of the best thing that has been done, even more beautiful and detailed than the dimetrodon Collecta.

I was simply surprised that the stores of Europe have reached the dimetrodon Safari before the Americans whose parent company is based in the US, and of course for me is a sought-after and desired figure because as I said is for me the best dimetrodon figure made so far, and not because it is Safari or you have sculpted it, but because it is the one I like the most and the most similar paleontologically and paleoartistically to the pelicosaurus made to date. And a person speaks to you who lacks scientific knowledge.

I said Doug do not wish with my comments to offend anyone and less a key person and endearing in the dinotoyblog as you are.  :)

I was not offended, I just wanted to clarify since someone had mentioned it was being "held back" and didn't know why. I have a fever of 102 F so I didn't have the energy to go back and find the original post.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on December 20, 2017, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 20, 2017, 01:46:33 PM
Yikes, and here I thought Safari was better than that.

This is far from the first artwork Safari Ltd has used as 'inspiration', but it is definitely one of the first that wasn't stolen from a famous artist.

If you want more information, here is a very good article that was written during the Geoworld fiasco:
http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/raiders-of-dinosaur-art-rampant.html

Look familiar? :)) Hey, he used my photo for that post! How ironic that here he is talking about this  issue, and turn around , without asking me or giving me credit, use my photo for his blog >:D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 21, 2017, 07:13:16 PM

This is far from the first artwork Safari Ltd has used as 'inspiration', but it is definitely one of the first that wasn't stolen from a famous artist.

If you want more information, here is a very good article that was written during the Geoworld fiasco:

Look familiar? :)) Hey, he used my photo for that post! How ironic that here he is talking about this  issue, and turn around , without asking me or giving me credit, use my photo for his blog >:D

Now that is ironic. ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 21, 2017, 07:13:16 PM

Someone should say something to him. Otherwise he is going to look like a hypocrite :-X

Concavenator

I want to know,tyrantqueen, what do you think about the Anzu? Do you like it?
I know you don't like Doug's sculpting style,but I want to know what you think about the Safari models that are not sculpted by him.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on December 21, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
I want to know,tyrantqueen, what do you think about the Anzu? Do you like it?
I know you don't like Doug's sculpting style,but I want to know what you think about the Safari models that are not sculpted by him.

Yes, I like everything from the "mystery sculptor". The sauropods seem to be a bit on the shrinkwrapped side, but otherwise good.

Faelrin

So if I'm understanding what I'm reading, the Dimetrodon will be available soon? I really want to see how this one will look in in-hand pictures, especially in regards to the color scheme, because I have to wonder if the promo pics are just not doing it justice. I know that was the case for the Regaliceratops. I have to wonder how it sizes up alongside the Papo one, as well as the Safari Ltd Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus. If going by the measurements on the Safari Ltd website, it seems to be close in size, but probably not to scale with the latter two.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Tyrantqueen,what do you think of the Anzu? I know you don't like Doug's sculpting style,but I wnna hear your thoughts about the Safari figures that are not sculpted by him (Anzu,Microraptor...)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on December 21, 2017, 10:01:31 PM
Tyrantqueen,what do you think of the Anzu? I know you don't like Doug's sculpting style,but I wnna hear your thoughts about the Safari figures that are not sculpted by him (Anzu,Microraptor...)

I did reply, but it was in another thread.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=374.msg188488#msg188488

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2017, 10:03:34 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 21, 2017, 10:01:31 PM

I did reply, but it was in another thread.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=374.msg188488#msg188488

I guess the original was posted in the wrong thread. I have merged it (and your response) with this thread.

japfeif

A question about numbering: I know this isn't very important, I'm just curious. I received all the 2018 figures and was just question why the numbering sometimes go wonkers. For instance, for the past years the item numbers of these Wild Safari dinos seem to start with "
30"...and then USUALLY get larger as more figures are added (I say "usually" cuz sometimes they do seem to get out of order a bit). Earlier in the year, when the feathered T.rex & Velociraptor came out, they had numbers starting with "10".. #100031 & #100032 for these 2 dinos respectively. I thought maybe was the start of a new numbering system (or they were maybe part of a new Safari line). But then with the Deinocheirus, Diplodocus, etc. they went back to the "30" system & numbers got progressively larger as expected. Well the "30" numbers continued for the ones who came out this year, but then things went back to the "10" for the 2018 figures, except for the Amargasaurus, Ankylosaurus, & Malawisaurus, which all start with "30".
So as I said just wondering...why the inconsistency with item numbers? Are the "10" figures part of some different series (or "sub-series" maybe?), or is there really just not a lot of rhyme & reason on the part of Safari with regard to numbering? I know sometimes there are gaps in mumbering, and sometimes new figures are used to fill in the numbering gaps, even if the production year is different. But with Safari, there seem to be two lines...those starting with "30" and those with "10". Any info appreciated. (and yes, I have WAY too much time on my hands! haha)

amargasaurus cazaui

Almost sounds like2 different facilities using separate numbering that are used to produce the figures....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

dinoMD

Anyways, as fun as trolls are, I'm sure people have taken pictures of the latest Safari releases (i.e. Malawisaurus).  Anyone care to share? 

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinoMD on December 23, 2017, 10:12:42 PM
... I'm sure people have taken pictures of the latest Safari releases (i.e. Malawisaurus).  Anyone care to share?

see here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.msg188912#msg188912

Mononykus

I know I'm a bit late--it was a busy semester--but I want to share the photos of the first round of new Safaris (I usually wait until all are in but I took advantage of the Black Friday/Monday sale to get those. Hopefully there will be an after xmas sale to get the newest releases.

Anyway, I will start with a group picture:

Next up, the Anzu. I really like the sculpt of this and since the only other Anzu model is the shapeways one, this is a great addition. The colors are a bit, lets say unsubtle, but otherwise it is awesome. 1/20 scale.

Next is the Regaliceratops. I like this better than the Collecta. Except for a nose horn that may be too short relative to the brow horns, it overall seems more accurate (the Collecta's face is too long and the frill to strongly curved, and it has those annoying butt-frills). A bit more color on the shield would have been nice, but overall I like the subtle approach much more than collecta's ugly tribal masks. Its much bigger than the Collecta, about 1/25

And a comparison with the Collecta:

A truly awesome Triceratops horridus. I love this model. It is big, 1/35 scale:

And comparisons with Safari's older trike (which I also quite liked):

Ankylosaurus is another wonderful sculpt, although its too bad Arbor's latest reconstruction suggests an armor pattern more like that of the Favorite (which otherwise has an incorrect head). Same scale as the trike: 1/35.

And comparisons with some other Ankylosauruses:

Next up, Mammals, starting with the Mastodon. Another outstanding model, maybe my favorite of this batch. 1/30 scale

Next the Megacerops. It looks like the most accurate of the recent Megaceropses (the Collecta's head is too big, and the Mojo is too low and long). Also 1/30 scale.

Finally, the Daeodon, another nice figure. Really, Safari is doing some awesome mammals. Its a larger scale than the others, about 1/20

Now for the figures I didn't buy:
The Amargasaurus is not bad, but it is much too large and I already have 2 1/40 scale figures of this species that are very good (Carnegie and Battat BMoS). I also didn't get the Uintatherium as it looked rather drab to me, especially in comparison to the recent Collecta, and the criss-crossing lines (cracked skin?) don't really appeal to me. I may still decide to get it because in the hand the Megacerops looked much better than the promo pics, so there is a good chance this one will also look better in hand.

The Malawisaurus, Macrauchenia, and Hyaenodon weren't yet available when I ordered the first batch, but I will definitely be getting all three. The Malawisaurus is particularly exciting since it represents a new never-done-before species to add to my collection (I really like to maximize species diversity) and looks really good. I'm undecided about the Dimetrodon. It looks good, but I have quite a number of this species (esp. since it is another D. grandis), and the new Collecta seems to go a bit further towards the latest hypotheses about their appearance (more upright walk, partially exposed spine tips, even some damage), even if its colors suck (it looks like it needs to be treated with an algicide). Thus, the Collecta makes for a more interesting contrast to my existing models.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: