News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Actually if you look at an Apatosaurus and a Giraffe I have a theory, (cough) (cough) here it is (cough) (cough) okay the next thing I will say is my theory (COUGH) They are both thin at one end; much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end. That is the theory that I have and which is mine and what it is, too.  ;)

With apologies to Monty Python

stargatedalek

I think birds are probably the best example for sauropod necks, while unlikely sauropod necks were nearly as flexible they have a (more) similar number of vertebrae. Additionally birds and sauropods while fairly distantly related both got their necks from a common ancestor, and are not convergently long-necked as giraffes are.

Even something as stocky seeming in profile as a gull, penguin, auk or a sparrow has a very long neck.

Patrx

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 31, 2017, 03:22:16 PM
Actually if you look at an Apatosaurus and a Giraffe I have a theory, (cough) (cough) here it is (cough) (cough) okay the next thing I will say is my theory (COUGH) They are both thin at one end; much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end. That is the theory that I have and which is mine and what it is, too.  ;)

With apologies to Monty Python

Thank you, Ms. Elk  ;D

On topic, near as I can tell, based on the aforementioned 2014 paper, the neck on the WS Apatosaurus still holds up (no pun intended). I recall that the folks at SV-POW were never really sold on the "straight beam" diplodocid neck posture in the first place. However, it's been a long time since I've looked into it, so I may recall incorrectly.

Interesting to hear that you'd considered the forward nostril placement idea, Doug!

Neosodon

Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2017, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: Neosodon on October 31, 2017, 06:21:44 AM
I imagine a giraffe would be the best modern animal for a comparison.

Not in the slightest. A giraffe has only seven neck vertebrae, long, spindly limbs that are taller in front, and a relatively tiny tail.
I never said it would be a good comparison. Just the best modern animal to examine because it is the only modern animal today that has a large neck. By dissecting it you may get an idea of the how the cartilage and tissue affects the neck flexibility.

Birds may have allot of neck vertebrate but their necks are hardly a comparison for sauropods. Well maybe birds would work for estimating the vertebral flexibility of a small prosaurapod. But the neck of large sauropods would have been more robust and heavily reinforced to support the weight. It's hard to determine exactly how flexible the neck of a large diplodacid would be but the up and arched back pose you see on cheap toy chinasaur sauropods is highly unlikely. The wild safari Apatosaurus neck pose is within reason I guess but I prefer more conservative neck poses like on on the diplodacus.

Maybe we should move this to another thread.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Gwangi

I would imagine that large tortoises are perhaps a better sauropod analogy than giraffes but truly there is nothing alive today like the sauropods. And in the end it's all speculation anyway, no matter the science involved. For that reason the neck posture of any dinosaur toy really doesn't bother me as long as the model is well made, and the WS Apatosaurus is certainly that.

Faelrin

I like the turtle and tortoise analogy. Even if there's no real science behind it, my turtle does remind me of a sauropod when he stretches that neck of his out. Yet it's just a slight passing resemblance, as like you said there's nothing else around today that's quite like them (except birds being their theropod cousins).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

microraptorgui

Doug,

We don't know each other, but for what it's worth, I LOVE your Apatosaurus sculpt.  I also really appreciate how involved you are in checking the primary literature and modeling your figures accordingly.  Keep 'em coming!
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

suspsy

The WS Apatosaurus is still my favourite rendition of the animal.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

Quote from: Neosodon on October 31, 2017, 05:32:34 PM
Maybe we should move this to another thread.
I agree, while on topic to Safari in general, this Apatosaurus discussion isn't really related to the topic of the thread. Mayhaps a new thread about the the Safari Apatosaurus is in order?

Shonisaurus

I pass a Spinodude video about the new dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Safari 2018. Their figures are still packed but you can see how big is the amargasaurus and the beauty of the anzu. Apart from these two figures are the American mastodon and the daeodon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvy3a4buKyY

Bokisaurus

Beautiful new Safari 2018 landed :) I really love the mastodon.

Concavenator

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 01, 2017, 02:35:49 PM
I pass a Spinodude video about the new dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Safari 2018. Their figures are still packed but you can see how big is the amargasaurus and the beauty of the anzu. Apart from these two figures are the American mastodon and the daeodon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvy3a4buKyY
That Anzu sure is stunning!  8)

Anyone knows when will the rest of figures be available?I don't think they ever announced their new releases later than this year.

Jose S.M.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Friday reveal this week. Hopefully the other sauropod or the ceratopsian are included... or both, that would be the best!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 01, 2017, 03:44:19 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for a Friday reveal this week. Hopefully the other sauropod or the ceratopsian are included... or both, that would be the best!

And/or something completely out of left field. There are about 20 items that were either in the video teaser or in the mystery photos that haven't yet been shown. I don't think we'll get 13 prehistorics like last year, but since the Anky wasn't in any teasers, there's at least the possibility that there's stuff yet to come that we have no clue about.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this Friday we saw the first batch of CollectA.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2017, 04:11:02 PM
Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 01, 2017, 03:44:19 PM

And/or something completely out of left field. There are about 20 items that were either in the video teaser or in the mystery photos that haven't yet been shown. I don't think we'll get 13 prehistorics like last year, but since the Anky wasn't in any teasers, there's at least the possibility that there's stuff yet to come that we have no clue about.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this Friday we saw the first batch of CollectA.

The Collecta does not surprise me either in fact at http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de it seems that they announce their imminent arrival I passed the link,

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/CollectA-Figuren/CollectA-Neuheiten-2018:::2_666.html

Reptilia

November is Collecta's month, here come the good stuff guys! And regarding Safari, I dare say the new Anzu is the best prehistoric model they've ever done.

Ravonium

OK, my opinion on the dinosaur figures that have been released since my last post:

Anzu: Yes, I'll admit that the neck and leg feathers may look a bit soft, but in my opinion, this is probably the best oviraptorsaur that a major company has released. It'll take Collecta quite a lot of effort to make something that can compete with this. I'm probably getting this one

Amargasaurus: My main problem with the figure is the price compared to the size (and the size), Last year's Diplodocus was longer than this figure, yet it was cheaper. Amargasaurus also wasn't particularly large for a sauropod, so why is this model 15 inches long? I am also not particularly impressed with the head. Other than that, this isn't the worst figure Safari Ltd has ever made. I'm not going to get this one.

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Ravonium on November 02, 2017, 09:26:48 PM

Amargasaurus: My main problem with the figure is the size, They should have honestly made last year's Diplodocus as long as this figure. I am also not particularly impressed with the head. Other than that, this isn't the worst figure Safari Ltd has ever made. I'm not going to get this one.

According to their website Diplodocus is 18.5 inches long and 4.5 inches tall. Amargasaurus is 16 inches long and 4.5 inches tall. So Amargasaurus is shorter then Diplodocus and they are the same height. One of my problem with the  Amargasaurus is the price. It is more then the Diplodocus. 

suspsy

Who else is becoming impatient for the rest of the 2018 line to be unveiled?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

Today should be the day for more stuff, hopefully the other sauropod or the ceratopsian will be in the new batch. And Collecta just unveiled five extant figures, so the prehistorics must be next. Pretty soon we'll need a Collecta 2018 thread.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: