You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patagotitan coming to Chicago Field Museum

Started by suspsy, August 30, 2017, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

And after nearly twenty years of holding court in the main hallway, Sue the T. rex will be joining the other dinosaurs in the Evolving Planet exhibit.

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/dinosaur-changes-coming-2018
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

I've never visited the Field Museum yet but this seems like an interesting change. Personally I would have put the brachiosaurus back in, but at least this museum is putting a sauropod in their lobby. ;) I wouldn't have expected for them to move their star attraction like this but it makes sense to have Sue near the back of the museum so visitors can see more on their way there that they might not otherwise, or at least thats if you apply theme park logic
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Patrx

This is exciting, but I'm also glad Sue is getting an updated pose and gastrallia!

ceratopsian

At least it's another dinosaur that will take Sue's place (unlike the Blue Whale here in London!)  Maybe I should plan a visit to Chicago for when Sue is fully installed with her gastralia in her new home.  I've always wanted to visit but not yet made it!

Halichoeres

Just in time for my move away from Chicago. Guess I'll have to come back and visit!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Patrx on August 30, 2017, 04:00:07 PM
This is exciting, but I'm also glad Sue is getting an updated pose and gastrallia!

Of course, I said this before actually seeing the plans for the update. Yikes! I'm not sure, but it looks like the shoulder girdle is dislocated, making the chest cavity comically deep and the neck sort of absorbed inward? I hope this is very preliminary.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on August 31, 2017, 10:58:20 PM
Quote from: Patrx on August 30, 2017, 04:00:07 PM

Of course, I said this before actually seeing the plans for the update. Yikes! I'm not sure, but it looks like the shoulder girdle is dislocated, making the chest cavity comically deep and the neck sort of absorbed inward? I hope this is very preliminary.

The curator who's overseeing the reinstallation, Pete Makovicky, has talked about the positions of the skeletal elements, and I assure you they aren't going to be like that image.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Thank goodness for that!  And for your reassurance. 

Patrx

WarrenJB

Blimey, that one looks like they were going to turn her into a carnivorous Cotylorynchus!

stargatedalek

I don't recommend referencing Hartman's skeletals in whole like that. He does a great job with the detail work, but his general proportions still follow the Greg Paul school of thought rather adherently.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.