News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

i apologise but the entire point of the comment i first made was that what is the "scientific fact" of the year might not be the next. reason why i don't always preach it like many orhers do but that doesn't mean i don't accept it. im just more skeptical about it because they keep changing it

Reptilia

Quote from: hao_bao on December 05, 2017, 02:48:01 PM
Nice to see someone else who appreciates these amazing new figures. It's quite disheartening to read all the negativity surrounding them on this and other forums. I've seen the quetz described as a 'grovelling gargoyle.'

Wasn't Mark Witton on Everything Dinosaur's Facebook to call it like that? I actually like the idea of a gargoylesque Quetzalcoatlus, I'd take it any day over the ultra-boring standard interpretations by other brands. I think that Papo prehistoric figures are pure paleoart brought to your shelf, even when they're not that good, like the Tylosaurus, which is intentionally an outdated depiction. And there's a lot of inaccurate paleoart out there that's still aesthetically pleasing. I collect figures because I like how they look, not because I have a paleontology class to teach to. If one's interested in naturalistic and accurate reconstructions of prehistoric animals I think Collecta does a pretty god job, so to each their own.

Shadowknight1

While I would prefer the Quetzacoatlus to be soaring, I don't think the sculpt is bad by any means.  Can't say anything about the accuracy though, pterosaurs aren't my specialty.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Flaffy

It's one thing to take artistic license, it's another to distort proportions, change bone structure and go against current scientific findings.

Syndicate Bias

the thing is the artist himself isn't very well versed in dinosaurs to begin with is what i was trying to explain but i suck at it.

Reptilia

Yeah, Mr Seo should apologize for being a paleo-ignorant. Despite being unable to properly render any prehistoric animal he's been in the business for more than a decade, that's quite an achievement!  ;D

suspsy

Quote from: Reptilia on December 06, 2017, 11:12:03 PM
Quote from: hao_bao on December 05, 2017, 02:48:01 PM
Nice to see someone else who appreciates these amazing new figures. It's quite disheartening to read all the negativity surrounding them on this and other forums. I've seen the quetz described as a 'grovelling gargoyle.'

Wasn't Mark Witton on Everything Dinosaur's Facebook to call it like that?

He definitely said that either on ED's page, or his own. And given that he's probably the world's foremost authority on pterosaurs, I'm inclined to agree with him completely.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CyborgDino

Here's the comment in question: https://imgur.com/OM3ad6U

tanystropheus

How do we determine if an animal is supposed to be graceful or grotesque? Isn't that all subjective. Aside from proportions...but that's another story altogether.

Salamanders can be regarded as cute or grotesque. And, opossums are simultaneously cute and ugly according to common opinion.

Shonisaurus

As I commented once more more than two years ago, a paleontologist professor at a distance university and paleoartist, who gave a lecture at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid, to which I attended precisely an event related to dinosaurs, seeing in The Museum's Shop of the Museum, the figures of prehistoric animals exposed told us that Papo's dinosaurs were very well made but paleontological inaccurate figures and it is more said that most of them were based on cinematographic figures.

I do not know what credit to give to that paleontology professor about said statements but that's what he said. That does not mean that sincerely, regardless of the declarations made by experts in paleontology, I really like the figures of Papo and have them among one of my favorite companies. In fact I have to date all the figures of Papo including all versions of paintings of these animals. included the brown running tyrannosaurus that I bought from Pako member of the forum recently.

For my part, regardless of what is discussed in paleontology, the therizinosaurus and the quetzalcoatlus among other dinosaur figures of this year I like them a lot and are perhaps my favorite figures on behalf of the company Papo with the acrocanthosaurus repainted and I am very excited in general with the figures of Papo.

Sincerely every company takes a different artistic license and has its own philosophy. I sincerely like, above all, the figures of paleontological well-made dinosaurs, within the updated knowledge that they have about them, that are detailed and that they do not have articulated members, but that does not mean that I, as a simple collector, do not leave me to like dinosaur companies that do not meet these conditions, as long as they are hyper-realistic and detailed, premises that perfectly meet companies like Papo and even Rebor.  :)

Syndicate Bias

Patrx

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 07, 2017, 02:31:23 AM
How do we determine if an animal is supposed to be graceful or grotesque? Isn't that all subjective. Aside from proportions...but that's another story altogether.

Salamanders can be regarded as cute or grotesque. And, opossums are simultaneously cute and ugly according to common opinion.

For me, that's kind of the thing with palaeoart, including dinosaur toys. We've all seen "grotesque" dinosaurs zillions of times. They're movie villains, scary primordial beasts, etc, and that's all quite dull to me at this point.  It's not just opposums, most animals, (including today's dinosaurs) have different sides to them like that, and extinct animals were surely no less multifaceted. Ergo, any dinosaur reconstruction that looks a little more elegant, graceful, cute, or silly is going to have an aesthetic advantage over the rest in my book, and Papo have never really explored that yet.
Well, I guess their baby dinosaurs have been a little cute, but then we get into the dreaded accuracy subject again.

John

Quote from: Patrx on December 07, 2017, 06:10:24 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 07, 2017, 02:31:23 AM

For me, that's kind of the thing with palaeoart, including dinosaur toys. We've all seen "grotesque" dinosaurs zillions of times. They're movie villains, scary primordial beasts, etc, and that's all quite dull to me at this point.  It's not just opposums, most animals, (including today's dinosaurs) have different sides to them like that, and extinct animals were surely no less multifaceted. Ergo, any dinosaur reconstruction that looks a little more elegant, graceful, cute, or silly is going to have an aesthetic advantage over the rest in my book, and Papo have never really explored that yet.
Well, I guess their baby dinosaurs have been a little cute, but then we get into the dreaded accuracy subject again.
The way I see it is this,there is enough room for both the as accurate as currently possible ones like the most recent ones from Safari Ltd. and CollectA and those aiming for hyperdetailed realism and coolness as Papo and Rebor is known for. :)
It looks like Papo was successful when it released a childhood favorite of mine this year (Ceratosaurus).That and maybe the recent Rebor one seems to have given CollectA the confidence that one in their own unique style which involves the more strict accuracy that I prefer would be a good enough seller for them to take the trouble to release next year.This is one of the reasons why I hope Papo keeps on doing their thing for years to come. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

pako

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 07, 2017, 03:32:18 AM
As I commented once more more than two years ago, a paleontologist professor at a distance university and paleoartist, who gave a lecture at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid, to which I attended precisely an event related to dinosaurs, seeing in The Museum's Shop of the Museum, the figures of prehistoric animals exposed told us that Papo's dinosaurs were very well made but paleontological inaccurate figures and it is more said that most of them were based on cinematographic figures.

I do not know what credit to give to that paleontology professor about said statements but that's what he said. That does not mean that sincerely, regardless of the declarations made by experts in paleontology, I really like the figures of Papo and have them among one of my favorite companies. In fact I have to date all the figures of Papo including all versions of paintings of these animals. included the brown running tyrannosaurus that I bought from Pako member of the forum recently.

For my part, regardless of what is discussed in paleontology, the therizinosaurus and the quetzalcoatlus among other dinosaur figures of this year I like them a lot and are perhaps my favorite figures on behalf of the company Papo with the acrocanthosaurus repainted and I am very excited in general with the figures of Papo.

Sincerely every company takes a different artistic license and has its own philosophy. I sincerely like, above all, the figures of paleontological well-made dinosaurs, within the updated knowledge that they have about them, that are detailed and that they do not have articulated members, but that does not mean that I, as a simple collector, do not leave me to like dinosaur companies that do not meet these conditions, as long as they are hyper-realistic and detailed, premises that perfectly meet companies like Papo and even Rebor.  :)

Thumbs up !  ;)

Everything_Dinosaur

Not sure whether this is the right thread to post this information, but Everything Dinosaur can confirm that the 2017 purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus figure is out of production and being retired.  It is being replaced by the new colour scheme Acrocanthosaurus that we exclusively revealed a few days ago.  The purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus has not been included in the 2018 catalogue, production has been stopped of this colour scheme.

Full story here: Papo Purple Acrocanthosaurus Figure About to Become Extinct

After less than 9 months this model is on its way out.

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately the acrocanthosaurus arcoiris has had a very short life in the toy market. Good thing I already have one in my collection. The positive of the news is that it becomes more expensive as the tyrannosaurus running brown.

In the future, buying it for example on eBay is going to be a very strong blow to the bank account of more than one person. I feel sorry that they have abandoned that figure (I liked it a lot) but it is also true that their new version in terms of color is more attractive.

hao_bao

Yeah, the new colour scheme is just miles better and really brings the figure alive. I doubt anyone could prefer the grey/purple colour scheme over the new one. I'll hang onto the rainbow acro and sell in a few years.

Reptilia

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on December 07, 2017, 03:34:53 PM
Everything Dinosaur can confirm that the 2017 purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus figure is out of production and being retired.

Unsurprisingly. No point in keep on producing two colour variants with one of them being objectively inferior, aesthetic wise. Not to mention that discontinuing one will sure make completists hurry on buying it, before it's gone for good. I strongly suspect it was all planned before by Papo, brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me. The repaint is actually the original model, which has been postponed to sell the inferior alternative version first. If they'd done the opposite the rainbow (or purple) version would have sold poorly, while this way people bought it cause they thought it was the only Papo Acrocanthosaurus, who would have guessed a repaint merely a year later? And now they will buy another one because it is simply better. Not sure anymore if I'll get rid of the purple one once the tiger-striped version is in my possession.

I will update the first post of this thread accordingly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: