News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: empire3569 on December 03, 2017, 02:46:02 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 03, 2017, 02:36:59 AM
Quote from: empire3569 on December 02, 2017, 08:03:28 PM
I'm a little late to the game (been busy starting my medical residency) but here are my opinions:

1. The Acrocanthosaurus repaint: This looks so much better than the original! I picked up the first but had it repainted to look like the Rebor version (which I love) but will definitely be picking up this repaint

2. Iguanodon: This one looks very nice, I agree the new CollectA is better accuracy wise, but I'll still pick this up. Nice paint (I like my large herbivores with more drab colors, just my personal preference) and pose, very organic. I like the bulk, even if the bulging leg muscles look a bit too over the top

3. Quetzalcoatlus: This one may be my favorite of all the releases! I don't normally collect Pterosaurs, but I will definitely be picking this one up! I like the pose, very unique (do agree it looks like the RJ Palmer sketch) and I like the color scheme. The pycnofibers are a welcome addition as well

4. Therizinosaurus: This is another very interesting one, I rather like the pose, looks like it's rearing back to ward off a predator, perhaps a Tarbosaurus. It could use a little more feathering, but what's there looks nice. I don't mind the pot-belly like some others do. Will probably pick this up at some point but not right away. It would be nice if Papo released a Tarbosaurus next year that complimented this pose, but I doubt they would since they already have two T-rexes

5. Compy: Clearly Jurassic Park, looks nice as a replica for what it is trying to be. Looks better than the Rebor as well. Will probably pass on it though

6. Amargasaurus: this is so disappointing. One of the most unique sauropods, and they gave it to the wrong sculpter. This looks more like a Schleich figure than a Papo, the detail work is terrible, the skull looks extremely cartoonish, and the neck sail looks sooooo bad, especially with that single unicorn spike at the front. I really hope that either a) the figure does so poorly that Papo doesn't let this sculpter do anything else for the line, or b) he/she reads all our dislike and just stops sculpting for Papo all together. A fantastic species ruined by a terrible sculpt. This may be Papo's worst dinosaur figure they have ever produced. I would't own or display this if you paid me

I totally agree with your assessments, except that I would buy the Compy as well. I never thought I would end up with 6 compies (5 REBOR compies! silly dragonfly look what you made me do!)  ;D

Nice to bump into a physician! If you don't mind me asking, what's your field. I plan on concentrating in Psychiatry.

Thanks! Im an Emergency room physician, just started in July. We see a lot of it psychiatry the ED haha.

I would buy the Compy as well, but the only two JP pieces I have that I display are the CC Breakout Rex, and and old 1:24 scale velociraptor kit I had professionally done, so the compy would be out of place scale wise. It does look very nice though

Awesome, best of luck with the residency experience. Emergency Medicine is a fascinating and very important field of medicine. And, there is a lot of overlap with Psychiatry  :)

...Perhaps, the most impressive JP Compy is the CC version

https://www.chroniclecollectibles.com/product/the-lost-world-jurassic-park-11-compsognathus/

Reptilia

Yet another stellar line-up for Papo! I didn't think they could top their 2017, but they did!

Amargasaurus: that's the only disappointment. Not because it's a bad figure from Papo, I think that just a handful of those in the entire range is quite acceptable, but because Papo didn't commission an Amargasaurus to their main sculptor. I can only imagine how beautiful an Amargasaurus by Seo would have been. Oh well. Likely gonna pass on this one, unless I find it in a store for less than 10 euros. No way I'm going to bother ordering online. 5/10

Young Spinosaurus: it's not an outstanding figure, nor I think it was planned to be anything like that, but simply a cute little companion piece to the adult version. Something like the baby T-Rex and trike were before. All in all it is cool, granted you have to be a fan of Papo's style and of JP inspired figures. I like the original idea of a JP universe creature that isn't actually present in any of the JP movies or novels. 6,5/10

Compsognathus: glad I didn't get the Rebor compies, this Papo version seems to be more refined and detailed in comparison. Another great JP style figure, and an important one I'd say, considering the role of Compsognathus in the original novel and on the second movie. I like the full-black eyes and the lighter colour on the underside that makes it less boring than Rebor's. I'm quite interested to see how big it will be, guess around the size of the baby T-Rex? 7,5/10

Iguanodon: it will get a release, eventually. Frankly I don't understand all the criticism, everyone's been asking for that bloody Iguanodon for a good couple of years, and now that is finally here, and it's totally Papo style, they don't like it. People are strange. I personally find it great, I like the muscular look they went for, I like the dynamic pose, and I think that it'll be quite a big one, to match Baryonyx' size and make a nice british Cretaceous diorama. And the paint job is beautiful, earthy naturalistic colours that look very nicely applied. My only minor gripe is the articulated jaw, I hope it won't be too evident on the final product, and I hope it won't become a rule on Papo's herbivores now on. 8,5/10

Quetzalcoatlus: I usually don't like pterosaur figures, I just can't stand the boring flying stance most of them get. Papo did a great job with the Tupuxuara and the Dimorphodon, and now this Quetzalcoatlus is even better. Looks like it's been caught by a rival or another predator while feeding on a prey. I hope the mouth will open a little wider than how the picture shows, just to augment the impression of an animal in danger or competition. Paint wise is as good as the Iguanodon, I like the red crest similarly coloured to that of the Dilophosaurus. And I expect it to be very big, possibly as oversized as the Baryonyx. 9/10

Therizinosaurus: this is just the Therizinosaurus figure I wanted, simply amazing! I can't think of any other therizinosaur model that gets even close to this beauty. Maybe it's a tie with the David Silva one, but that is a kit, so in the realm of PVC figures there's no rival. The pose is extremely cool, like the animal is in a fighting ritual for territorial supremacy, the colour scheme is sober but in no way boring, and that head sculpt is just perfect. Another one I expect to be fairly big, can't wait to see more pictures and grab mine! 10/10

Acrocanthosaurus: how to turn an excellent figure into a masterpiece. At first I didn't find the Acrocanthosaurus pose that much appealing, but it grew on me over the last months that I owned the figure. The colour scheme though, I could never warm up on that rainbow pattern. Always felt that Papo wasted such a great sculpt with those disappointing colours. And now, all of a sudden, the problem is solved. This just feels like how the Acrocanthosaurus should have been in the first place. It doesn't even look like a repaint, I mean I can't believe that such a complex and perfectly executed paint job is a second thought. I think this was the original model and then they decided to change it, maybe cause there's a vague similarity with the Cryolophosaurus, and they went with the throwaway rainbow colour scheme already used for the T-Rex repaints. It might be just a repaint, but it is my favourite 2018 figure, and a strong candidate for my all time favourite Papo figure. I'll just wait to see it in hand to give him the crown. 10/10

Irritation

Quote from: Reptilia on December 04, 2017, 02:38:18 AM
Yet another stellar line-up for Papo! I didn't think they could top their 2017, but they did!

Amargasaurus: that's the only disappointment. Not because it's a bad figure from Papo, I think that just a handful of those in the entire range is quite acceptable, but because Papo didn't commission an Amargasaurus to their main sculptor. I can only imagine how beautiful an Amargasaurus by Seo would have been. Oh well. Likely gonna pass on this one, unless I find it in a store for less than 10 euros. No way I'm going to bother ordering online. 5/10

Young Spinosaurus: it's not an outstanding figure, nor I think it was planned to be anything like that, but simply a cute little companion piece to the adult version. Something like the baby T-Rex and trike were before. All in all it is cool, granted you have to be a fan of Papo's style and of JP inspired figures. I like the original idea of a JP universe creature that isn't actually present in any of the JP movies or novels. 6,5/10

Compsognathus: glad I didn't get the Rebor compies, this Papo version seems to be more refined and detailed in comparison. Another great JP style figure, and an important one I'd say, considering the role of Compsognathus in the original novel and on the second movie. I like the full-black eyes and the lighter colour on the underside that makes it less boring than Rebor's. I'm quite interested to see how big it will be, guess around the size of the baby T-Rex? 7,5/10

Iguanodon: it will get a release, eventually. Frankly I don't understand all the criticism, everyone's been asking for that bloody Iguanodon for a good couple of years, and now that is finally here, and it's totally Papo style, they don't like it. People are strange. I personally find it great, I like the muscular look they went for, I like the dynamic pose, and I think that it'll be quite a big one, to match Baryonyx' size and make a nice british Cretaceous diorama. And the paint job is beautiful, earthy naturalistic colours that look very nicely applied. My only minor gripe is the articulated jaw, I hope it won't be too evident on the final product, and I hope it won't become a rule on Papo's herbivores now on. 8,5/10

Quetzalcoatlus: I usually don't like pterosaur figures, I just can't stand the boring flying stance most of them get. Papo did a great job with the Tupuxuara and the Dimorphodon, and now this Quetzalcoatlus is even better. Looks like it's been caught by a rival or another predator while feeding on a prey. I hope the mouth will open a little wider than how the picture shows, just to augment the impression of an animal in danger or competition. Paint wise is as good as the Iguanodon, I like the red crest similarly coloured to that of the Dilophosaurus. And I expect it to be very big, possibly as oversized as the Baryonyx. 9/10

Therizinosaurus: this is just the Therizinosaurus figure I wanted, simply amazing! I can't think of any other therizinosaur model that gets even close to this beauty. Maybe it's a tie with the David Silva one, but that is a kit, so in the realm of PVC figures there's no rival. The pose is extremely cool, like the animal is in a fighting ritual for territorial supremacy, the colour scheme is sober but in no way boring, and that head sculpt is just perfect. Another one I expect to be fairly big, can't wait to see more pictures and grab mine! 10/10

Acrocanthosaurus: how to turn an excellent figure into a masterpiece. At first I didn't find the Acrocanthosaurus pose that much appealing, but it grew on me over the last months that I owned the figure. The colour scheme though, I could never warm up on that rainbow pattern. Always felt that Papo wasted such a great sculpt with those disappointing colours. And now, all of a sudden, the problem is solved. This just feels like how the Acrocanthosaurus should have been in the first place. It doesn't even look like a repaint, I mean I can't believe that such a complex and perfectly executed paint job is a second thought. I think this was the original model and then they decided to change it, maybe cause there's a vague similarity with the Cryolophosaurus, and they went with the throwaway rainbow colour scheme already used for the T-Rex repaints. It might be just a repaint, but it is my favourite 2018 figure, and a strong candidate for my all time favourite Papo figure. I'll just wait to see it in hand to give him the crown. 10/10
Some people like it (like me), they probably expected it to be more accurate.

dragon53

On the Papo Acrocanthosaurus:

"The colour scheme though, I could never warm up on that rainbow pattern. Always felt that Papo wasted such a great sculpt with those disappointing colours. And now, all of a sudden, the problem is solved. This just feels like how the Acrocanthosaurus should have been in the first place."

My thoughts exactly.

japfeif

Just received a few new Papos...the Cave Bear, Smilodon, & Dimorphodon

Just wanted to add my two pennies here...I am a big a fan of Papo as anyone....probably MORE than most actually....but I've finally received a figure I can say I detest.

I can deal with pronated hands, a lack of feathers sometimes, & the trendy term "shrinkwrapping" has never really been an issue for me (is there actually any paleontological evidence that dinos had loose flabby head skin anyway?), I'm fairly easy to please. But this Smilodon is atrocious.  I am really trying to find something about it I like but....just can't! The protruding buck teeth are very off-putting, the body seems to have no fur at all (this guy looks totally smooth!), and that mane....yuck!

I figure everyone has seen the figure by now so no need to post a pic of it.

I know Papo tried to think a bit out of the box...and there is every reason to think Smilodon males COULD very well have had manes like a lion...but there's something to be said for the more traditional look I guess. It just looks...weird. I always try to get the latest version of the figures, assuming that the more recent will be better somehow (which yes I know is not always true!), but really, there is not much of a contest in a comparison between the old one & this new one.

If I weren't a completist where Papo is concerned....back in the box it would go! haha.

The other two I'm okay with...the Cave Bear is kind of generic but it quite passable...for a bear. And the Dimorphodon is pretty cool actually. But the Smilodon easily ranks in my opinion as one of the worst of the Papo prehistoric line.

Reptilia

Quote from: japfeif on December 05, 2017, 01:45:21 AM
Just received a few new Papos...the Cave Bear, Smilodon, & Dimorphodon

This probably should have been posted in the 2017 Papo thread?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: dragon53 on December 05, 2017, 12:04:35 AM
On the Papo Acrocanthosaurus:

"The colour scheme though, I could never warm up on that rainbow pattern. Always felt that Papo wasted such a great sculpt with those disappointing colours. And now, all of a sudden, the problem is solved. This just feels like how the Acrocanthosaurus should have been in the first place."

My thoughts exactly.
My problem is that I actually like the colors on the first one as it's a nice contrast to the Rebor one and the dark purple highlights the spine really well, but I also really like this new paint job!  I don't think I need another one...or do I?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Reptilia

I'm definitely going to pick up the new one, still don't know if I'll get rid of the 2017 version. Thing is, will the "rainbow" one be discontinued and become a sort of rarity? Since I don't have any of those godawful T-Rex repaints I should probably keep the Acrocanthosaurus just to have that colour scheme represented in my Papo collection. Or maybe I don't need it.

zatrex99

Papo: The Iguanodon is a must buy.  Not a big fan of the Acro, but this new color scheme makes it another must buy. Papo has truly outdone itself. Ironically, while I hated the Acro's original colored purple and orange paint scheme, I would love to see it on the Apatosaurus.

hao_bao

Nice to see someone else who appreciates these amazing new figures. It's quite disheartening to read all the negativity surrounding them on this and other forums. I've seen the quetz described as a 'grovelling gargoyle.'

Shonisaurus

My favorite dinosaur figures from Papo 2018 are the therizinosaurus and the quetzalcoatlus.  :D I do not quote the 2018 acrocanthosaurus that I also like a lot because it is not a new revelation but it is a repainted figure the original rainbow is already on sale.

I honestly do not understand why there is so much animosity to the acrocanthosaurus arcoiris of 2017 for me it is an excellent figure even without the new repainting of this next year and I can not say that I like the new acrocanthosaurus much more with this new painting.

Syndicate Bias

i don't get why the acrocanthosaurus will be released on second or.third quarter its already a mass produced sculpt just change the paint job applied to it. id wish to have it by january but rip

tanystropheus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 05, 2017, 02:48:01 PM

Nice to see someone else who appreciates these amazing new figures. It's quite disheartening to read all the negativity surrounding them on this and other forums. I've seen the quetz described as a 'grovelling gargoyle.'

These are the same folks that would disapprove of real dinosaurs if they were alive here today. So many members have no idea what an Amarga (e.g WS) or a Theri is supposed to look like...on the plus side, at least people are warming up to the concept of feathers.

Syndicate Bias

most people here follow the trend of innacuracy alot and praise accuracy when nobody truly knows how each dinosaur truly 100% looked like. reminds me of what an accurate so spino was before the new one and now those people look like hypocrites.

The Atroxious

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 06, 2017, 12:23:27 AM
These are the same folks that would disapprove of real dinosaurs if they were alive here today. So many members have no idea what an Amarga (e.g WS) or a Theri is supposed to look like...on the plus side, at least people are warming up to the concept of feathers.

Well, I can't speak for the Amarga, but the Therizinosarus' proportions are rather off, most notably the legs, if we're to judge by Nothronychus and Alxasaurus, but I do appreciate the fact that they got the <i>structure</i> right. It looks so much like a therizinosaur in form that I'm willing to forgive the tiny legs and skimpy feathering. Most of all, I love how much it looks like a bird (albeit a balding one) which isn'the something I feel any company besides CollectA captured. I'll take a balding, birdlike therizinosaur over a heavily feathered one that seems like it was modeled after mammals and lizards any day.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SyndicateBias on December 06, 2017, 12:49:32 AM
most people here follow the trend of innacuracy alot and praise accuracy when nobody truly knows how each dinosaur truly 100% looked like. reminds me of what an accurate so spino was before the new one and now those people look like hypocrites.

They're hypocrites because they followed what seemed to be the evidence? It's true that for virtually all extinct animals there is some amount of speculation about its appearance, but that doesn't mean all hypotheses are equally likely. There is a lot we do know, and the amount we don't know slowly but steadily shrinks. I would agree it's unfair to malign a figure that was produced before new information came to light, but I don't really see a reason to defend a sculpt that postdates significant discoveries that alter our view of what an animal looked like. I might even agree that there's sometimes too much pickiness on this board, but it sort of sounds like you're suggesting some sort of postmodern 'nothing is knowable so why even try.'
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 06, 2017, 06:58:45 AM
I might even agree that there's sometimes too much pickiness on this board, but
Or the timeless "I like something aesthetically, any evidence to the contrary must be wrong."

Syndicate Bias

Nah i meant it as alot of the pickiness needs to stop like they know 100% not why even try.

while i do agree most of these figures are off they arent leagues away but neither do we know exactly what these creatures looked like and that's what gets me when people act like they are scientists and know exactly what they are talking about when we don't know for sure everything, its almost always theories and theories at best, not saying its.wrong or a theory but I've seen my hair share of it.

Shonisaurus

Although it is not known with certainty how the immense majority of prehistoric animals (except the mammoth or woolly rhinoceros) were physically one hundred percent and even less of the dinosaurs and preferring with preference prehistoric animal figures that try to approach as much as possible it could be the real appearance according to the latest scientific research (although that will never be known), I sincerely like dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that do not have any articulated limbs, including the jaws, and that are well finished.

Papo makes figures (most of them well finished), although I sincerely wish that he alternated with figures with static jaws and others with articulated jaws would be a neutral solution for those of us who are more in favor of figures of prehistoric animals without any articulation and those who are supporters that the figures are articulated.

On the other hand it is true that many figures do not know almost anything, for example the therizinosaurus is an animal even in spite of the years quite enigmatic and although partial remains of members of his family have been found, it is logical that speculative figures are made and sincerely I like (and that has not changed or change my opinion) Paiz therizinosaurus this year. It is perhaps the best figure made of that kind so far by the well finished and without underestimating its predecessors in the toy market that are impressive and magnificent.

Loon

Quote from: SyndicateBias on December 06, 2017, 06:13:25 PM
Nah i meant it as alot of the pickiness needs to stop like they know 100% not why even try.

while i do agree most of these figures are off they arent leagues away but neither do we know exactly what these creatures looked like and that's what gets me when people act like they are scientists and know exactly what they are talking about when we don't know for sure everything, its almost always theories and theories at best, not saying its.wrong or a theory but I've seen my hair share of it.
I'm incredibly confused by what you're trying to say. I think this confusion's source is maybe an unfamiliarity with science on your part. No one here claims to be a scientist when we aren't, but we do use the work of actual scientists to inform our knowledge. Your talk of "theories" implies you don't even know what that word means, in science, a theory is a model of knowledge that collects of various facts and evidence to form the best model for a natural process.You're confusing it with a hypothesis, which is a model to be tested, not one based on tests, like a theory. A theory, outside of physical laws, is the highest form of "truth" in the natural sciences that something has occurred, or will continue, to occur. Yes, a lot of our current thought on some extinct animals' life-appearance is mostly hypothetical; but, when Papo or any other company create a model that actively defies solid evidence for aesthetic's sake, that's when problems emerge. I like the models, and I'll buy some of them, but just because I like something does not mean I shouldn't be critical of it, or biasedly deny anything that goes against it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: