News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenestra

Quote from: Reptilia on December 07, 2017, 08:23:16 PM
Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on December 07, 2017, 03:34:53 PM
Everything Dinosaur can confirm that the 2017 purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus figure is out of production and being retired.

Unsurprisingly. No point in keep on producing two colour variants with one of them being objectively inferior, aesthetic wise. Not to mention that discontinuing one will sure make completists hurry on buying it, before it's gone for good. I strongly suspect it was all planned before by Papo, brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me. The repaint is actually the original model, which has been postponed to sell the inferior alternative version first. If they'd done the opposite the rainbow (or purple) version would have sold poorly, while this way people bought it cause they thought it was the only Papo Acrocanthosaurus, who would have guessed a repaint merely a year later? And now they will buy another one because it is simply better. Not sure anymore if I'll get rid of the purple one once the tiger-striped version is in my possession.

I will update the first post of this thread accordingly.

I'm very eager to read about the facts and proof of your allegations about this conspiracy.

Reptilia

No conspiracy, just some guesses of mine about what would legitimately be marketing.

tanystropheus

I just picked up the Ceratosaurus and Spinosaurus box set.

Spinosaurus (baby)

The Spinosaurus looks a lot less freaky in person. It no longer has that animatronic look, probably because it is a relatively small model. When you zoom in on a model, the picture tends to be less representative of the actual model (it's kind of like taking a selfie head on...you end up looking all bloated). It retains crocodilian features and there is an element of neoteny. While it appears to be of similar size to the Cerato, the tail is shorter. There are some yellow highlights on top of the sail. The only negative as far as I can tell is that the jaw articulation uses a somewhat 'hard' seam making it not as subtle as other Papos (the jaw shuts all the way but is loose...it's not going to fall apart or anything...I'm just saying). It's not that noticeable considering the overall size of the figure, but it is a nitpick of sorts. The baby Spino also has a reasonably 'safe' posture being near-quadrupedal in its stance. Overall rating 8/10

Ceratosaurus

Overall rating 9.5/10.
I am not including any commentary as this is a model that has been discussed considerably by DTF members.

P.S: I didn't want to pick up the rainbow Acro, but now I might consider it since it is retired and all.

Faelrin

I might have mentioned it before here or not, but I too think this "repaint" of the Acrocanthosaurus is really the original planned color scheme, and that for whatever reason the purple/rainbow version was really the repaint but put out first, maybe because it was still relevant to their other rainbow repaints. It just seems odd for such a highly detailed repaint such as this to come out of nowhere, and so soon otherwise. I do find it interesting the purple/rainbow one is being retired so soon though. It reminds me of when the green repaint of the Velociraptor was retired in 2017, only a short while later. This will no doubt create some forced rarity.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

How much is the discontinued brown Running Tyrannosaurus going for?

tanystropheus

Quote from: dragon53 on December 08, 2017, 06:40:07 AM
How much is the discontinued brown Running Tyrannosaurus going for?

I think somewhere around $80 - $700. It makes economic sense to have a green Running T-rex commission painted brown for $30.

dragon53

TANYSTROPHEUS:

So the Rainbow Acrocanthosaurus has been discontinued after only nine months...that's going to affect its value.

japfeif

Quote from: Reptilia on December 05, 2017, 01:55:23 AM
Quote from: japfeif on December 05, 2017, 01:45:21 AM
Just received a few new Papos...the Cave Bear, Smilodon, & Dimorphodon

This probably should have been posted in the 2017 Papo thread?

Yeah...I suppose so....

Irritation

Has anyone but me thought of putting the Papo Iguanodon next to the Baryonyx and Polacanthus?

Reptilia

I will definitely put the Iguanodon next to the Baryonyx, unless they'll be way too out of scale.

Here's a recap of Papo releases of the last two years:

55060 - Polacanthus
55061 - Ceratosaurus
55062 - Acrocanthosaurus
55063 - Dimorphodon
55065 - Young Spinosaurus
55066 - Cave bear
55067 - Roaring Smilodon
55068 - Cryolophosaurus
55069 - Therizinosaurus
55070 - Amargasaurus
55071 - Iguanodon
55072 - Compsognathus
55073 - Quetzalcoatlus

Notice there's a free slot? It can't be the caveman or the playset, cause the catalogue numbers provided for these two are others. Everything Dinosaur announced a blog post after revealing the last three figures on their Facebook, but it's been ten days ago now and they're still holding off for that blog update. Could be there's one more figure to be revealed, to fill the gap in the catalogue? Just speculation on my part, I'm not expecting anything, but Papo infos usually come in december while this year we got them a month in advance and in two batches... maybe there's a third act, who knows?

Syndicate Bias

so what you saying is that there were 7 dinosaurs released last year and only 6 this year so far not counting the re paints? i mean papo did reveal their dinosaurs on fb, idk if you saw that or not.

Syndicate Bias

well if something turns up mid December and we arent far now or January we will have to see if there is a surprise 7th, papo did say they would reveal everything in January so we don't know for sure even when they posted their 2018 line up it was coincidentally after people told them about the 7 leaks already so idk

Reptilia

Oh, I didn't know Papo revealed their new collection on Facebook. I thought they wanted to stick to january for the official announcement, but as you say they probably decided to anticipate things after people told them about the leaks. I also thought that said leaks were kind of blessed by Papo, but turns out all my speculations were wrong. It's still an amazing line-up, the Acrocanthosaurus "repaint" and the Therizinosaurus make enough cool theropods for this year, I'm sure Giganotosaurus or whatever else will come in 2019.

Shonisaurus

For my part I would like to reveal more figures to the company Papo in this next year 2018, but I sincerely agree with those that have revealed. Only with the quetzalcoatlus, therizinosaurus and iguanodon surpass all my expectations regarding this great company are great.  :))

Although honestly I would like in the future to reveal a giganotosaurus. It would be a spectacular figure as long as the sculptor was the same as quetzacoatlus or therizinosaurus for giving two examples.

Syndicate Bias

its a matter of time now. 2019 might be or 2020 for a giganotosaurus that is long overdue now. safari Ltd did a good move by making one since its one of the best in the market rn. the vitae one i have.my doubts as i saw videos of it and pictures. idk not as good as i thought but with companies like papo and rebor that haven't yet released a giganotosaurus i think rn anyone that makes one that's close to what they would make would be wonderful. except we all know there's hope for papo as for rebor i have zero hope they'll ever make one even in the next 5 years to comes

japfeif

I know Papo seems to steer away from the prehistoric animals that aren't dinosaurs, mammals, pterosaurs, or the sea creatures (Mosasaurs, Ichthyosaurs, etc.), except for Dimetrodon of course, but I'd really like to see some of the more obscure (toy-wise) but still rather iconic critters from the Paleozoic or early Triassic, like Eryops, Sphenacodon, Edaphosaurus, Diplocaulus, Tanystropheus, etc.  I'm sure that there'd be concern about whether there is enough of a market for them (and probably would not be) but would still be cool.
Personally, I'd rather see some of these than yet another Giganotosaurus (which seems to be the "big one " everyone wants now) that at least has been made fairly recently by CollectA & Safari.
Just my thought..

Shonisaurus

I just received news that the giganotosaurus Mojo have released for next year 2018 and I can say that it is quite acceptable. It is perhaps not a great figure but we must also say that the company has made a positive effort to make dreams come true for people like me.  ^-^

It would be great news for Papo to commercialize another figure of Giganotosaurus joining Safari and to some extent to Collecta's mapusaurus (which is not Giganotosaurus). Anyway, I repeat, whatever happens, I am satisfied with the news that the company Papo has already made, they are great almost in their entirety with regard to next year 2018.  :)

A giganotosaurus in the future made by the same sculptor of acrocanthosaurus, tyrannosaurus, therizinosaurus or quetzalcoatlus would be great, although for me at this point of life no paleoartistic representation does not diminish. Although Papo's figures tend to be mostly superdetailed, and we should see what Papo's amargasaurus really looks like, we may be underestimating this figure without seeing it physically.  :D

Syndicate Bias

because we want a giganotosaurus or a carcharodontosaurus. these two dinosaurs are underrated all you see is t Rex this and that. its rather heartwarming to see vitae start with a giganotosaurus, but we all want a papo one because for beginners there isn't a hyper detailed one aside from model kits and most of us arent into kits or others for money reasons and others because they collect papo and so on. personally id like to see an ouranosaurus as it is an iconic dinosaur to me and a giganotosaurus and carcharodontosaurus and a concavenator from them. they need to expand on these because right now safaris and collect as carcharodontosaurus arent that good. and i think i speak for most of us that a giganotosaurus from papo is what we mostly want. just like how we got our wish of an iguanodon i think we will next year or the one after hopefully.

Faelrin

At this point the ones I want to see made the most in the coming years would be a feathered Deinonychus or Utahraptor from them, a JW or Sideshow styled Mosasaurus, and now with JW:FK, I would like to see a repaint of their Carnotaurus in similar colors to the one in that film, aside from the Giganotosaurus being made of course. Anything else would be a nice surprise as usual.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joey

Quote from: Faelrin on December 10, 2017, 12:36:58 AM
At this point the ones I want to see made the most in the coming years would be a feathered Deinonychus or Utahraptor from them, a JW or Sideshow styled Mosasaurus, and now with JW:FK, I would like to see a repaint of their Carnotaurus in similar colors to the one in that film, aside from the Giganotosaurus being made of course. Anything else would be a nice surprise as usual.
Maybe a Dakotaraptor? Very unlikely, but would be very cool.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: