News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irritation

OMFG! I love this Iguanodon. The others look good, but I love this Iguanodon the most.

Faelrin

Alright two Paleozoic creatures, and a lovely Iguanodon. CollectA you've knocked it out of the park with this year's releases, and it seems like you're only getting started.

I love that Dunkleosteus. I'm so glad to see they did a bigger version. I was hoping it would have an articulated jaw, and it does. This one looks like it blows the Schleich one out of the water. I'm glad I held off on that one, but I'd say it is still a nice figure, just has some issues. I'm so glad the mouth plates aren't white. Even the Safari Ltd one had that issue. Its head plates are covered in skin too, which is quite like the Safari Ltd one in that regard. I really love the bronze color scheme too. It really emphasizes the ancient nature of this creature I think. If the cm to inches calculations in google are right, this one would be around 11 inches in length, which would make it bigger then both the Safari Ltd and Schleich ones, or at least longer. Also could it be? No more eel tail, which was a very common complaint for Dunkleosteus figures, though it still looks based off of Coccosteus tail, it looks much more forked. I definitely want to pick this one up.

And color me surprised we are getting a Estemmenosuchus this year, at least from CollectA. This is one of those critters that could have used more figures, and it is finally getting another. I really like this one too. If going by the size it might be out of scale alongside my Safari Ltd Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus figures, but I'm sure it will be nice on display alongside them. It says its in 1:20 scale, the same as the Dunkleosteus, so at least they'll be in scale with one another, assuming they are correctly scaled.

I think the Iguanodon is lovely too. Its nice to have a larger model of that herbivore, and it seems pretty accurate too. I wonder how it would scale up with their 2013 Deluxe Parasaurolophus. I would think those two ornithopods would make a lovely pair together.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Someone needs to add these new images to the front page.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

Honestly, I like the Estemmenosuchus most.

Simon

Quote from: Irritation on November 10, 2017, 07:03:56 PM
OMFG! I love this Iguanodon. The others look good, but I love this Iguanodon the most.

I agree.  The only Iguanodon that I like more is the original 1999 Walking with Dinosaurs Iguanodon (though the feet and hands were quite erroneous on that figure).  This one is dead-on accurate, howevera.. a fine complement to the awesome Iggy that Doug Watson did a couple of years ago ...

Simon

The Emmenosuchus is FREAKISHLY AWESOME.  About time someone made a figure of one ...

Shonisaurus

Father David's deer is fabulous but I would have preferred a really extinct one like the megaloceros or the euclloceros.

On the other hand you need, as far as I'm concerned, an elasmotherium (for this I cross my fingers), a teleoceras or a reediction of the paraceratherium and a larger size.

By the way I am in love with the estemmenosuchus and iguanodon are precious. On the other hand the dunkleosteus is very cool and very nice.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 10, 2017, 02:30:35 PM
I love the soft look this Dunkleosteus has to it, it looks like an actual soft smooth fish and not one giant bicep wearing face armor. The big black cutesy eyes definitely help this one feel more real if you ask me. 28cm is also a pretty decent length, though I do wish it had a bit more lips to it, but at least it has them, even if they're folded up/super short.

This new Dunkleosteus figure looks the opposite of smooth to me.  It appears to have wrinkly skin with small, rounded protuberances randomly spread over it.  It's not the bumps that form rows on the side of the figure, I'm referring to the separate bumps that can be seen on for example the figure's head, above its pectoral/pelvic fins, on its pectoral/pelvic fins, on the underside...  It seems to me CollectA's 2018 Dunkleosteus is like their 2017 Kronosaurus in being very wrinkly in the "neck" area and in being covered with those random bumps.  I think they both still look nice, but that wrinkly and bumpy skin makes them not look like believable animals.

terrorchicken

estemmenosuchus and a 1:40 iguanodon, finally! I would have preferred some hair on my estemmeno but that's ok. The dunkleosteus is nice but Im happy with my safari one.

now if they'd just retire that awful puke green color they use on so many of their prehistoric models.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2017, 11:10:08 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 10, 2017, 02:30:35 PM
I love the soft look this Dunkleosteus has to it, it looks like an actual soft smooth fish and not one giant bicep wearing face armor. The big black cutesy eyes definitely help this one feel more real if you ask me. 28cm is also a pretty decent length, though I do wish it had a bit more lips to it, but at least it has them, even if they're folded up/super short.

This new Dunkleosteus figure looks the opposite of smooth to me.  It appears to have wrinkly skin with small, rounded protuberances randomly spread over it.  It's not the bumps that form rows on the side of the figure, I'm referring to the separate bumps that can be seen on for example the figure's head, above its pectoral/pelvic fins, on its pectoral/pelvic fins, on the underside...  It seems to me CollectA's 2018 Dunkleosteus is like their 2017 Kronosaurus in being very wrinkly in the "neck" area and in being covered with those random bumps.  I think they both still look nice, but that wrinkly and bumpy skin makes them not look like believable animals.
Perhaps smooth was a poor phrasing? I meant that it looks like a representation of a smooth animal, not that the figure itself was smooth. The Schleich for example looks like elephant hide, and even the Safari looks like it's covered in scales, whereas this one looks like smooth mucus coating with rolls of fat and plates of armor beneath the skin.

I think the wrinkles on this are far more excusable than on the Kronosaurus, they're mostly around the edges of the armor where it makes sense for rolls of skin to appear.

Blade-of-the-Moon

They are great figures/representations of their respective species,  of these three I'm only really tempted by the Iguanodon though.

ZoPteryx

Really impressive reveals today!

The Iguanodon looks really good, it'll be nice to have an accurate 1:40 scale version to go along with the smaller Safari figure.  I'm a little dubious on the clawed hands, though.

Finally an Estemmenosuchus!  ;D  The sculpt, especially the head, looks really good.  I have admit, I'm not huge fan of the smooth skin combined with the green/brown color, makes it look too amphibian-like.

The Dunkleosteus looks awesome!  Probably one of the most naturalistic reconstructions I've seen in toy form.  Personally, I would've preferred it be 1:40 scale and a little more interestingly colored, but these are minor points.

Looking like a strong year for CollectA!  ^-^

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on November 10, 2017, 08:30:15 PM
The Emmenosuchus is FREAKISHLY AWESOME.  About time someone made a figure of one ...

I know right, I was waiting forever for a toy company brave enough to make one. Of course, I should have expected CollectA.

I also like the Iguanodon as it resembles the Favorite Collection desktop model. And, I will also be picking up the Dunk. I have the WS, Schleich, and Favorite versions...I might as well.

It's a shame with the Mantellisaurus. It certainly had potential, but such a bogus color scheme. Ain't nobody got time to commission paint the heaps of CollectA models that need to be adjusted...

Is the Sciuru life size?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 10, 2017, 09:02:40 PM

By the way I am in love with the estemmenosuchus and iguanodon are precious.

I've been catching up with some Shadow of Mordor in anticipation of the Xbox One X enhanced version of Shadow of War and I literally read that statement in Smeagol's voice.

Joey

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 11, 2017, 05:07:28 AM
Quote from: Simon on November 10, 2017, 08:30:15 PM

I know right, I was waiting forever for a toy company brave enough to make one. Of course, I should have expected CollectA.

I also like the Iguanodon as it resembles the Favorite Collection desktop model. And, I will also be picking up the Dunk. I have the WS, Schleich, and Favorite versions...I might as well.

It's a shame with the Mantellisaurus. It certainly had potential, but such a bogus color scheme. Ain't nobody got time to commission paint the heaps of CollectA models that need to be adjusted...

Is the Sciuru life size?
No, someone earlier on the thread said that the Sciurumimus  is 1:5 scale.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 11, 2017, 05:14:54 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 10, 2017, 09:02:40 PM

By the way I am in love with the estemmenosuchus and iguanodon are precious.

I've been catching up with some Shadow of Mordor in anticipation of the Xbox One X enhanced version of Shadow of War and I literally read that statement in Smeagol's voice.

Well, I did not know. I saw the movie but I did not stop to those words of Smeagol. Of course, for me, the new figures of Collecta 2018 are as coveted as the ring that guarded this creature.

suspsy

Well, if CollectA continues to follow more or less the same formula, we should expect at least one more marine creature as well as a prehistoric mammal, plus a few more dinosaurs and maybe a pterosaur.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Am I the only one here who is kind of disappointed?Personally,I don't find any of these releases really interesting so far.The Sciurumimus and Estemmenosuchus are for me the most interesting species,but are rather blandly executed, principally the color schemes , one of the things that classically make CollectA stand out.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on November 11, 2017, 02:51:56 PM
Am I the only one here who is kind of disappointed?Personally,I don't find any of these releases really interesting so far.The Sciurumimus and Estemmenosuchus are for me the most interesting species,but are rather blandly executed, principally the color schemes , one of the things that classically make CollectA stand out.

Yeah I agree with you. They're interesting species for sure, but the execution isn't that great. They're just kinda okay-ish for me. The only one I really like is the Iguanodon.

Halichoeres

On the same day that I submitted the final revisions to my dissertation, the first new Estemmenosuchus toy since the JP version (not counting the cartoon Kabaya skeleton)! With all due respect to ED, it doesn't look like E. uralensis to me; it looks like E. mirabilis. I'm very happy to see CollectA's first Permian animal not be Dimetrodon. I hope it sells well and they make a lot more like it.

It's somewhat uncharacteristic that their first full-size fish be a Dunkleosteus, but hey, it's a solid effort. I'll be interested in figuring out the actual scale (only the head is known, so you can't go by total length). Definite buy for me. Do my eyes deceive me or is it articulated at the nape? That would be a cool feature if so.

And the Iguanodon is a beauty. Finally a really good, up-to-date Iguanodon in the neighborhood of 1:40.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: