News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

I´m glad that the previous reveal is not the last one of the reveals for 2018.

Having said that, the Brontosaurus looks really cool. BUT
Quote from: Ravonium on November 24, 2017, 08:18:03 AM
Brontosaurus: This is a model that has been demanded from companies ever since a study proved that Brontosaurus was indeed a separate genus from Apatosaurus. I have no criticisms of this model, and it does finally give us a new sauropod, which is what at least one forum member wanted from CollectA:
Scale: 1:72 for a 22 meter long individual.
Unfortunately big sauropods nowadays are not as big as they should be and were in the past.....And probably won't be in the future....

I know CollectA likes to be up to date, but seriously, retiring an almost new figure just because some study said that it probably had less feathers and then replace it with this? I was not a fan of the old rex because the mohwak ruined for me an also other small details. Here it looks even worse,the minimum feathering makes the figure ugly in mi opinion. A completely unnecessary and wrong move for Collecta IMHO. Like other members said, they could have made another tyrannosaurid instead of this.

Hey hey hey! Mapusaurus! Now you are speaking my language!
Very cool figure, and nice size! However the picture makes it look like it was a small sized figure. But that's just the picture.

tanystropheus

I don't generally like CollectA sauropods (I only have the Ampelosaurus), but the Brontosaurus wins my approval. It's quite a handsome model with a believable, non-gaudy paint job.

Flaffy

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 24, 2017, 09:43:57 AM
What giga? We literally have a rather dissatisfied 2018 line up for papo its just bad.
Please read carefully, I never stated Papo made a Giganotosaurus, I simply said their disappointing line up this year will not be made any better by the rumoured Papo Giganotosaurus since the mystery Giganotosaurini teased by EverythingDinosaur turns out to be the CollectA Mapusaurus.

PhilSauria

That Brontosaurus has just shot up to the top of my list for new purchases, can't wait to add that one to the herd! Still processing what I think about the new Theropods, particularly the rex, though my purchase of the Mapu is probably a given.

Jose S.M.

Brontosaurus and Mapusaurus are on my wish list now! I like them both. Tyrannosaurus is not that bad but I think they went too far with cutting the feather covering.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 01:37:48 AM
Quote from: Takama on November 24, 2017, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 01:28:22 AM
Honestly I saw it coming that the deluxe feathered rex wasn't long for the world, they wouldn't have made a smaller one so quickly unless they thought something about that particular figure wasn't selling (size, pose, etc.).

Maybe its the Fact that its Featherd?
That was my initial thought today, but then I remembered the smaller version being released and suspecting this might happen at the time. If it had sold poorly and they believed it was the feathers I don't think they would have continued making feathered Tyrannosaurs let alone another two Tyrannosaurus (including the corpse).

I wonder if it's because it's deluxe (and not because another feathered guy just got announced LOL). If there are standard and deluxe figures of similar quality and perceived accuracy, I think most people would get the standard (I would...) due to size, space, and cost considerations.

Roselaar

Love the Brontosaurus and the Mapusaurus (hopefully this deluxe model won't suffer from the same misleading stock photos in regular counterpart did a few years ago). But the T-Rex isn't as striking as its now soo to be retired predecessor.

suspsy

So much for the claim about there being no more prehistoric figures to reveal! I hope the individual on the STS forums was simply unaware as opposed to dishonest. Anyway.

An updated Firestreak! Well, well, well! I would have preferred a much-needed upgrade of Tarbosaurus, or an all-new Zhuchengtyrannus, but as a T. rex junkie, I will be definitely be getting this sucker. The pose makes it look like it's in the midst of a mating ritual; would have been sweet if CollectA had given it an inflated throat pouch. Just hope it doesn't have issues standing up.

The Mapusaurus is a vast improvement over the 2012 version. Excellent work there.

And Brontosaurus! Big, bodacious Brontosaurus is back, baby! This one is another must-buy for me.

Overall, I think CollectA's 2018 line is another winner. This is the first time since 2009 (I think) that there hasn't been a ceratopsian, which is okay by me. And I guess we'll have to wait till next year for another Supreme-class flyer, fellow Yi qi fans. But the Estemmenosuchus, the Dimetrodon, and the Dunkleosteus are a most welcome, much-needed breakthrough into the Paleozoic. I look forward to seeing more beasties from that era in future. And please, please, please, can we get some more ankylosaurs in 2019? Scolosaurus, Tarchia, Zuul, and Borealopelta are demanding some love!

Here's to 2018, folks!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on November 24, 2017, 01:08:25 PM
So much for the claim about there being no more prehistoric figures to reveal! I hope the individual on the STS forums was simply unaware as opposed to dishonest. Anyway.

The person on STS who said there would be 'Three more releases' was only charged with extant wildlife models, so that's what he was referring to. He made it clear on a couple occasions he was not aware of dinosaur releases. Someone else was responsible for the dinosaur updates on STS.

Jose S.M.

I was thinking that we got two new  versions of retired models this year, and if we count the Iguanodon, there's four re issues, so they might remake others of their retired list, with their increasing quality they can make great new versions of those.
I think for me this year  is a tie between Safari and CollectA, regarding dinosaurs both companies produced fine figures.

suspsy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 24, 2017, 01:19:41 PM

The person on STS who said there would be 'Three more releases' was only charged with extant wildlife models, so that's what he was referring to. He made it clear on a couple occasions he was not aware of dinosaur releases. Someone else was responsible for the dinosaur updates on STS.

That was not made clear in Shonisaurus's posts. Doesn't matter now tough.

Strange that CollectA is retiring the Swimming Spinosaurus and the Bistahieversor; those are great toys. Very happy about all those old ones getting the boot though. Also, did y'all notice how this new T. rex has a less shrink-wrapped skull than the 2015 one?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: MLMjp on November 24, 2017, 10:10:09 AM
Unfortunately big sauropods nowadays are not as big as they should be and were in the past.....And probably won't be in the future....

This here is the single reason I don't collect that many sauropods.

This is the first time since 2009 (I think) that there hasn't been a ceratopsian, which is okay by me. And I guess we'll have to wait till next year for another Supreme-class flyer, fellow Yi qi fans. But the Estemmenosuchus, the Dimetrodon, and the Dunkleosteus are a most welcome, much-needed breakthrough into the Paleozoic. I look forward to seeing more beasties from that era in future. And please, please, please, can we get some more ankylosaurs in 2019? Scolosaurus, Tarchia, Zuul, and Borealopelta are demanding some love!

This is the single thing I am most happy about this year. Thanks CollectA, for jumping off the ceratopsian bandwagon.

If they made a good Borealopelta model, then that 1 model would be enough for me for 2019.

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 24, 2017, 01:21:17 PM
I was thinking that we got two new  versions of retired models this year, and if we count the Iguanodon, there's four re issues, so they might remake others of their retired list, with their increasing quality they can make great new versions of those.
I think for me this year  is a tie between Safari and CollectA, regarding dinosaurs both companies produced fine figures.

If that is true, then hopefully we should get a new Megalosaurus and a Rhomaleosaurus that is actually close to 1:40 scale.

stargatedalek

And so people we see the downside of CollectA working so quickly; five Tyrannosaurus produced in as many years, always based on whatever the "freshest and coolest" new paper is saying and discontinuing the others as they go just because they can.

Flaffy

Something definitely feels off about the Mapusaurus
Skeletal by Franoys

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 24, 2017, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 24, 2017, 09:43:57 AM
What giga? We literally have a rather dissatisfied 2018 line up for papo its just bad.
Please read carefully, I never stated Papo made a Giganotosaurus, I simply said their disappointing line up this year will not be made any better by the rumoured Papo Giganotosaurus since the mystery Giganotosaurini teased by EverythingDinosaur turns out to be the CollectA Mapusaurus.

I wasn't angry or reacting bad at ya mate, I'm just heavily disappointed in papo in general this year. Although I think I'm glad a good mapusaurus figure finally came out. Now all we need is a deluxe carcharodontosaurus if the current one is just a standard I'm.not sure how Collecta works with releasing deluxe versions

Ravonium

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 24, 2017, 04:17:59 PM
I wasn't angry or reacting bad at ya mate, I'm just heavily disappointed in papo in general this year. Although I think I'm glad a good mapusaurus figure finally came out. Now all we need is a deluxe carcharodontosaurus if the current one is just a standard I'm.not sure how Collecta works with releasing deluxe versions

The current CollectA Carcharodontosaurus is a deluxe.

Syndicate Bias

You think they'll reboot it to be up in standards like the mapusaurus?

Shonisaurus

I finish this morning from my work to receive the pleasant surprise that three more prehistoric animals have been released by the brand Collecta, which I did not expect after the publications of STS forum that from what I read I misunderstood as many other members of the dinotoyblog the news of STS forum.

My opinions about the new dinosaurs revealed taking into account my ignorance regarding paleontology issues are the following:

Brontosaurus from what I read on the blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk page is the first figure made after recognition as a separate species of apatosaurus. For me it is a great figure assuming that it has the same size as the basilosaurus will obviously not be as voluminous as other Collecta figures like the nigersaurus (I agree that I needed an update although for me it was not a bad figure but not good either) and the brachiosaurus Deluxe I have to admit that it is not a figure that attracts me by the Collecta brand, I like its standard figure more. Going to the point, the brontosaurus is a beautifully painted figure with the hooves of its legs properly placed and is a new figure in the toy market I repeat again. It is a wonder.

The tyrannosaurus rex although it is a reissue and update at the same time of the previous one, from my honest point of view it is a mistake to take fixed support, hopefully I am wrong but will have unfortunately problems of sustainability is a finished figure and what sincerely I do not like the colors are so striking that have put that figure, but respect the philosophy of Collecta and how to make their figures (all fantastic for years) by Anthony Besson. I'm afraid he's going to have stability problems like the Tyrannosaurus of Safari made by the great Doug Watson, so when I get there I'll look to keep the packing support of that figure just in case. Although his head is tilted back to balance the figure, I am afraid it will be very difficult to keep it upright, for a simple reason his hooves are neatly made at first sight, fully proportioned. The interesting thing is that its legs and body were as elastic as the Moran tyrannosaurus rex of this year, to avoid breakage and abrasions but that is obviously an interference on my part in the way of manufacturing such products so I leave it as a suggestion.

Anyway, Collecta's feathered tyrannosaurus rex is much better than its predecessor, and I'm surprised that it has lasted so little in the toy dinosaur market but I suppose it will influence sales. His predecessor in front of the criticisms that have made members of the forum seems to me a great figure.

Finally the mapusaurus is a long-awaited figure and is a remarkable improvement of his previous standard figure is very nice and very cool, very well finished, that jowl reminds me of paleoartísticas works that makes the great paleoilustrador Luis Rey, is next to the brontosaurus of the best that has been done. That does remind me only in his great painting to the Indomimus rex of the Jurassic Park movie but it is an appreciation of mine. It is a figure as it says the statement of that Deluxe product and honors such commercial appellative.

It has been as always a year in which Collecta has surprised us all / with their new figures and the most important thing that does not leave indifferent collector both understood and ignorant (as it is my case) and honestly although they cost much more I prefer that they have made figures in their great majority of large size whether Deluxe, super long (brontosaurus), 1:40 scale and 1:20 scale. It has been a great year for Collecta.  :)

I reaffirm my assertions that in this year there would be relevant and pleasant surprises in the toy market, as always Collecta produces most of its figures with honors.  8)

Jose S.M.

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 24, 2017, 04:24:08 PM
You think they'll reboot it to be up in standards like the mapusaurus?

That would be great but i find it unlikely, at least in the next couple of years. But Collecta it's the company that's more likely to surprise so we'll see. I surely hope so.

Shonisaurus

A reissued tsintaosaurus of Deluxe range would be for me a compulsory purchase figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: