News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I really like all the novelties of Collecta 2018 even if tomorrow none of the three figures revealed is a dinosaur or a prehistoric animal. Keep in mind that this year Collecta has released six beautiful figures at 1:40 and 1:20 scale of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and two very rare figures in the toy market at standard size.

For my part I can not complain have done an estemmenosuchus and considerable size at 1:20 scale and on the other hand as has been commented in other parts of the forum I prefer quality to quantity and Collecta has opted as always for quality. I am very happy with all his figures and of course have had the deference to make in a highly proportional way with the wild animals magnificent figures of prehistoric animals.  :D

For me it has been a great year for Collecta and her figures are very cool.  8)

Shonisaurus

From what I have read of the news on the page http://sts-forum.forumieren.de none of the three figures will be a prehistoric animal.  :(

The following is asked in this conversation textually,

Any of those 3 is a Dinosaur / Prehistoric creature?

The answer is as follows:

No, this is just wildlife and marine life.

So despite the bad news, the good news is that we will not have to spend excessively next year.

Ravonium

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 04:17:57 PM

So despite the bad news, the good news is that we will not have to spend excessively next year.

Well, hopefully none of the extant animal figures are horses, which CollectA is revealing quite excessively this month.

stargatedalek

Marine life? So are we getting at least one non-mammal?

John

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 04:17:57 PM
From what I have read of the news on the page http://sts-forum.forumieren.de none of the three figures will be a prehistoric animal.  :(

The following is asked in this conversation textually,

Any of those 3 is a Dinosaur / Prehistoric creature?

The answer is as follows:

It's not so bad for me.CollectA is already going to release what I have been wanting to see the most from them:Ceratosaurus. ;D
Anything else they make from this point on is just going to be a bonus for me. :)

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 23, 2017, 07:56:33 PM
Marine life? So are we getting at least one non-mammal?
No,I'm afraid not.It's a remake of a sperm whale for their marine life series.A nice model,but not quite prehistoric or even non mammal.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

The models are already released and none is a dinosaur I pass the links,

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19156-collecta-2018-wild-life-hippopotamus-remake-88833

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19153-collecta-2018-mini-box-sets-mini-horses-a1109-mini-farm-animals-a1110

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19155-collecta-2018-sea-life-sperm-whale-remake-88836

There are no more dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, but the ones announced by Collecta for next year 2018 more than compensate for the wait, most models scale Deluxe except for mantellisaurus and sciriumimus. We can not complain! They are all very nice and very well made to match  8) Safari and above all we have the expected Estemmenosuchus among other beauties.

The phrase that refers to the following: "so despite the bad news, the good news is that we will not have to spend excessively next year "it's mine not from the forum. ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 08:18:45 PM
The models are already released and none is a dinosaur I pass the links,

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19156-collecta-2018-wild-life-hippopotamus-remake-88833

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19153-collecta-2018-mini-box-sets-mini-horses-a1109-mini-farm-animals-a1110

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19155-collecta-2018-sea-life-sperm-whale-remake-88836

There are no more dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, but the ones announced by Collecta for next year 2018 more than compensate for the wait, most models scale Deluxe except for mantellisaurus and sciriumimus. We can not complain! They are all very nice and very well made to match  8) Safari and above all we have the expected Estemmenosuchus among other beauties.

The phrase that refers to the following: "so despite the bad news, the good news is that we will not have to spend excessively next year "it's mine not from the forum. ;)

You need to be a member to view STS photos, but you're indeed correct. I see a hippo, farm animals and a sperm whale.

Ravonium

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 08:18:45 PM

Well, at least none of them are individual models of horses. There's also going to be very little pressure on most of our wallets this year.

Update: So, turns out there is actually another model, though it is extant, and a possible attempt to compete with Safari Ltd. It was apparently meant to be released this year. Anyways, here is the link.

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19157-collecta-2018-wild-life-musk-ox-bull-88837-final-announcement

japfeif

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 17, 2017, 06:19:51 PM
Dejankins is where I get my Collecta figures, I've seen the site and all the 2016 and 2017 figures were in stock, I'm pretty sure the figures from later years too. I have only good experiences buying from their site.

I get most of my CollectAs from Dejankins, Dean is such a cool guy to deal with. Happy Hen also carries CollectA and seem to get many of the new figures in before other dealers.

japfeif

Quote from: Neosodon on November 21, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 21, 2017, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 20, 2017, 11:51:44 PM
I'm hoping they do the same with the Rajasaurus.

Mine stands perfectly fine, despite having it carried around in my trouser pockets for quite some time to shoot photo stories for my son when I was on tour. However, the Rajasaurus is also made of a much sturdier plastic than some of the other CollectA figures.

My Protoceratosaurus finally gave way to toppling over, but I rather build it a base myself.
Really? the feet on mine were so small that I had to give it a base no matter how I tried to balance it.

The one that has given me the most fits was Irritator. I had 3 of these guys and not one would stand on its own. 2 came out of the bag unable to stand & the third one stood for about a month then toppled. I finally purchased the new one with the base.

How many of the CollectA figures with standing issues have been re-released? I knew of Irritator, Mapusaurus, Lourinhanosaurus, Concavenator & Liliensternus (I got the first 3 from DeJankins, but have not been able to find the last 2 though.....). I did not know a Proceratosaurus had come out with a base...cool, that's another one of mine that won't stand properly!  :)

Faelrin

Well then that's it for this year for the four big ones. Kind of strange how both CollectA and Papo have had more released last year, but only a few this year. I wonder why. At least Safari Ltd kept their game strong. Like others mentioned before though, this is perhaps a good thing since it does mean less spending. Of their new releases I'll probably just get the Dunkleosteus for this coming year. I'm still a bit behind on getting the prehistoric marine tube, so I'll likely get that sometime between this year and the next as well. Might get the others I like in 2019 though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Those birds in the farm set are the only non-mammal extants this year. Genuinely pathetic selection if you ask me.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on November 23, 2017, 09:21:35 PM
Well then that's it for this year for the four big ones. Kind of strange how both CollectA and Papo have had more released last year, but only a few this year. I wonder why. At least Safari Ltd kept their game strong.

The reason Safari Ltd. (Wild Safari, in particular) can continue to keep their game strong is because they've absorbed the assets from the Carnegie team. In a sense, they can afford to output double their usual allotment. Papo has to make a marketing decision regarding the balance that exists between extants and extincts, as per Mr. Seo. This decision does not come from the sculptors but upper management.

Shonisaurus

My opinion that the American brand Safari has made so many figures compared to the British Collecta or the French Papo may be due to the following factors from my humble point of view.

I also believe, this is just an opinion that the US is in a better economic situation than France and Britain for whatever reasons and that is why they reveal more figures of prehistoric animals per year.

That economic bonanza translates into more toy animals, it's just an opinion.

Regardless of that point, it may also be that, unfortunately, Collecta and Papo do not have the desired economic results globally. Keep in mind that a considerable part of buyers are children and the Schleich brand is more affordable and lately they are doing quite good models, in terms of commercial competition are diminished to the potential of media Schleich.

On the other hand, Safari, only sold in the US (the third largest population in the world surpassed only by China and India) has buyers of surplus in their nation, a situation that does not happen with Collecta or Papo.

Apart from that, the US is a nation whose inhabitants are mostly very aware of paleontology about dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and therefore they are interested in buying prehistoric animal figures more than European nations and I think that is due to the wealth of their paleontological deposits of almost all geological epochs, (in which they can only compete in equal way to equal China and Mongolia). In Europe except Britain for historical reasons was very censored the subject of paleontology, in fact in Spain there is a considerable part of the population that believe they coexisted with humans, according to a book I read in Spanish for example " science of dinosaurs "by Jaime Mora Cuadrado, I even have friends and educated who believe that dinosaurs is an invention.

A trader for example who commented years ago that many adults think that the mammoth primigenius  still exists and confuse it with the elephant. Although they are minor points, the truth is that in Europe there is no interest in dinosaurs and prehistoric life as pronounced as in the US or China.

Apart from that, the molds with which they create their pieces are very expensive and if they are not amortized with the sales in a successful way, they slow down their sales both in the wholesale market, in the retailer and in the online stores.

Papo makes very beautiful models and very well finished independently of being many figures not paleontologically correct but they are too expensive figures and few people can afford that luxury.

Collecta embarked on doing many figures of prehistoric animals in particular Anthony Besson excessively and most importantly risking a lot in dark models, (which I applaud) but that is a risk that unfortunately ends many times paying with low consumption by part of the buyers.

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 10:47:38 PM
My opinion that the American brand Safari has made so many figures compared to the British Collecta or the French Papo may be due to the following factors from my humble point of view.

I also believe, this is just an opinion that the US is in a better economic situation than France and Britain for whatever reasons and that is why they reveal more figures of prehistoric animals per year.

That economic bonanza translates into more toy animals, it's just an opinion.

Regardless of that point, it may also be that, unfortunately, Collecta and Papo do not have the desired economic results globally. Keep in mind that a considerable part of buyers are children and the Schleich brand is more affordable and lately they are doing quite good models, in terms of commercial competition are diminished to the potential of media Schleich.

On the other hand, Safari, only sold in the US (the third largest population in the world surpassed only by China and India) has buyers of surplus in their nation, a situation that does not happen with Collecta or Papo.

Apart from that, the US is a nation whose inhabitants are mostly very aware of paleontology about dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and therefore they are interested in buying prehistoric animal figures more than European nations and I think that is due to the wealth of their paleontological deposits of almost all geological epochs, (in which they can only compete in equal way to equal China and Mongolia). In Europe except Britain for historical reasons was very censored the subject of paleontology, in fact in Spain there is a considerable part of the population that believe they coexisted with humans, according to a book I read in Spanish for example " science of dinosaurs "by Jaime Mora Cuadrado, I even have friends and educated who believe that dinosaurs is an invention.

A trader for example who commented years ago that many adults think that the mammoth primigenius  still exists and confuse it with the elephant. Although they are minor points, the truth is that in Europe there is no interest in dinosaurs and prehistoric life as pronounced as in the US or China.

Apart from that, the molds with which they create their pieces are very expensive and if they are not amortized with the sales in a successful way, they slow down their sales both in the wholesale market, in the retailer and in the online stores.

Papo makes very beautiful models and very well finished independently of being many figures not paleontologically correct but they are too expensive figures and few people can afford that luxury.

Collecta embarked on doing many figures of prehistoric animals in particular Anthony Besson excessively and most importantly risking a lot in dark models, (which I applaud) but that is a risk that unfortunately ends many times paying with low consumption by part of the buyers.

I appreciate your analysis of the current state of the dinosaur toy market in the world but that thing you just said about spanish population thinking that human kind coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs are not real is just bullshit, nonsense and plainly offensive. Spain is a modern, advanced country, not a medieval town... Me resulta increible que seas espaƱol y pintes a tu pais como una manada de borregos incultos y atrasados cuando tenemos una de las comunidades cientificas mas brillantes de europa...

Takama

Well A lot of Crap from CollectAs old days is finally getting axed from Production

Dinosaurs & Prehistoric

Eustreptospondylus - 88060
Dracorex - 88252
Becklespinax -88221
Nigersaurus (delux 1:20) - 88308
Paraceratherium deluxe - 88313
Chasmosaurus - 88316
Megalosaurus  - 88317
Achelousaurus - 88355
Tsingtaosaurus - 88373
Edmontonia - 88388
Rhomaleosaurus - 88440
Bistahieversor - 88676
Spinosaurus swimming - 88738
Feathered Tyranosaurus (deluxe 1:20) - 88717

Sadly, so are a few gems as well :o :'(

Neosodon

It's ok to post stuff in just the regular old collecta thread too you know.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

I find surprising they are retiring the feathered T-rex and the swimming Spino.

stargatedalek

Honestly I saw it coming that the deluxe feathered rex wasn't long for the world, they wouldn't have made a smaller one so quickly unless they thought something about that particular figure wasn't selling (size, pose, etc.).

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 01:28:22 AM
Honestly I saw it coming that the deluxe feathered rex wasn't long for the world, they wouldn't have made a smaller one so quickly unless they thought something about that particular figure wasn't selling (size, pose, etc.).

Maybe its the Fact that its Featherd?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: