News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures You Regret Buying?

Started by IrritatorRaji, December 06, 2017, 03:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

The CollectA Baryonyx is one that I wish I hadn't bothered with

I bought it because I was desperate for a good Baryonyx figure (the pickings were slim at that point in time) and was hoping that it would be better in real life than the stock photo suggested. It really wasn't. Even my elder sister, who knew next to nothing about dinosaurs, said that it sucked when she saw it.

Lesson learned- do not try to deceive yourself when looking at a stock photo. Trust your instincts 8)

Reptilia

About time for Collecta to make a decent one.

Pawnosuchus

When Collecta first started I was really thrilled to be getting many new species.  Over time I have replaced many of them with (what I consider) more accurate or appealing figures made by other companies.  Do I regret buying  them? Somewhat, but I've been able to pass them on to younger relatives who certainly appreciate them.  That makes it worthwhile.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 08, 2017, 12:24:01 AM
The CollectA Baryonyx is one that I wish I hadn't bothered with

I bought it because I was desperate for a good Baryonyx figure (the pickings were slim at that point in time) and was hoping that it would be better in real life than the stock photo suggested. It really wasn't. Even my elder sister, who knew next to nothing about dinosaurs, said that it sucked when she saw it.

Lesson learned- do not try to deceive yourself when looking at a stock photo. Trust your instincts 8)

I nearly bought one for myself last year under the same conditions, didn't have any Baryonyx in my collection and assumed that the stock image was terrible. I did a lot of digging around for photos of the CollectA Baryoynx from people who'd actually bought it saw for myself how bad it was. Dodged a bullet there.

laticauda

I am happy with most of the figures that I have.
Here are my regrets.   

1.  Paralititan CollectA Deluxe:  I ordered it so I could do a review.  Soooo disappointed when I opened up the box.  My daughter likes long necks so I gave it to her.
2.  Smilodon Schleich: It came with the mammoth and baby at a low price so its not a real regret but it is so ugly. Gave it to my son.
3. Shunosaurus CollectA:  Ordered it so I could review it.  To ugly to display.  Gave it to my daughter
4. Lilensternus CollectA:  Ordered it so I could review it.  I really wanted to like this figure but the sculpt really bothers me.  My son has it now.
5. Mosasaurus (Wild Safari by Safari Ltd) Looked better in the photo. Son now has it.

ZoPteryx

I don't know that I regretted getting any figures at the time I bought them, but there are definitely some that I regret in hindsight.  Off the top of my head: the Schleich Quetzalcoatlus (both versions), the original Safari Suchomimus, and several of the oldest CollectA figures.

Halichoeres

I find myself slightly rueful about the purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus. The repaint is just so much nicer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: laticauda on December 08, 2017, 03:15:24 AM
Here are my regrets.   

1.  Paralititan CollectA Deluxe:  I ordered it so I could do a review.  Soooo disappointed when I opened up the box.  My daughter likes long necks so I gave it to her.
2.  Smilodon Schleich: It came with the mammoth and baby at a low price so its not a real regret but it is so ugly. Gave it to my son.
3. Shunosaurus CollectA:  Ordered it so I could review it.  To ugly to display.  Gave it to my daughter
4. Lilensternus CollectA:  Ordered it so I could review it.  I really wanted to like this figure but the sculpt really bothers me.  My son has it now.
5. Mosasaurus (Wild Safari by Safari Ltd) Looked better in the photo. Son now has it.

It's Lucky you have kids to give your bad figures to!

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 08, 2017, 05:05:33 AM
I find myself slightly rueful about the purple Papo Acrocanthosaurus. The repaint is just so much nicer.

Wanna get rid of it? ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park III figures, definitive Jurassic Park III figures. I did not make the same mistake with Jurassic World.
Predasaurs - I think their Primal Rage-esque esthetic ( I was playing that game at the time after I managed to run it on my Windows 7 PC ) got me, but in the end collecting them was more fun than having them.
Any Geoworld figure that is not a fossil replica ( okay, that were just three from three different ranges, but still....)
A few figures from series I got out of curiosity. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

PaleoMatt

You are not alone! I got mine like a week before the photos were released as well!

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 08, 2017, 10:04:25 PM

Wanna get rid of it? ;)

Well, I won't give it up until I have the new one in hand, which will probably be late summer or autumn of next year. So depending on where I'm living then and whether you've picked it up before then, maybe!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Lanthanotus

Here are my regrets.   

I want my kid playing with figures I like, after all, I may have to play together with him or at least have those figures laying around in the appratment ;) ... so method of my choice is... ebay or fleamarket.

Sinornis

This one I definitely regret! 2017 Bullyland Archaeopteryx. This is what happens when a bird mates with a German Sheppard  ;) !

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

laticauda

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on December 08, 2017, 09:52:30 PM
Here are my regrets.   

It's Lucky you have kids to give your bad figures to!
The kids share my passion and can be just as picky.  I didn't force the figures on them, I just asked if they would like them and they gobbled them up. 

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The Carnegie Microraptor isn't a bad sculpt, especially given the market at the time of its release, but I am on an extremely limited budget, and I ended up buying it 3-4 months before Safari announced their gorgeous new black Microraptor. I would have much preferred to save my money for the new one had I known it was coming out.

sepp

I think the only toy I regret buying is the Bullyland Mastodonsaurus.
I bought it for... quite a lot on ebay, I think a few months before we learned it was going to be re-released :/
It's an awesome figure, I love it! But I definitely spent WAY more than I would have if I had just waited XD

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 12, 2017, 02:12:55 AM
The Carnegie Microraptor isn't a bad sculpt, especially given the market at the time of its release, but I am on an extremely limited budget, and I ended up buying it 3-4 months before Safari announced their gorgeous new black Microraptor. I would have much preferred to save my money for the new one had I known it was coming out.
If it means anything, the Carnegie one actually got the hands right and the new one didn't.

BlueKrono

I've never regretted buying any figure other than one ebay auction where the picture wasn't very good. I bid on what I thought was a plesiosaur that I'd never seen before. Turns out it was a sauropod that had been melted almost flat, as if on a hot plate. Luckily it hadn't been too pricey and I wrote it off as lesson learned: don't bid on auctions with poor photographs.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: sepp on December 12, 2017, 08:38:10 AM
I think the only toy I regret buying is the Bullyland Mastodonsaurus.
I bought it for... quite a lot on ebay, I think a few months before we learned it was going to be re-released :/
It's an awesome figure, I love it! But I definitely spent WAY more than I would have if I had just waited XD

I've definitely had similar experiences, overpaying for a figure only to find one for cheaper later. Not with a re-release, though, that's a pretty unusual situation.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: