News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures You Regret Buying?

Started by IrritatorRaji, December 06, 2017, 03:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

One might think I was in an off mood given that a very recent topic of mine was about "bad" dinosaur models, but I'm just genuinely curious :)) I was also somewhat inspired by the Breyer community (think DTB but with horses) and their tendency to make videos about models they regret buying.

While I do love all my dinosaur models / toys to death, there I some that I do have second thoughts about purchasing.

• Jurassic Park CamoXtreme Aqua Spinosaurus
    I bought it because it was going for £2 on Ebay and nothing else. While I am trying to collect as many old Jurassic Park toys as possible, he was not on my priority list. I don't like the sculpt, the paint job is boring is this guy will just not stand up. He always falls over.

• Jurassic Park Alpha Pteranodon
    I love this toy, I love it to death, best Pteranodon out there in my opinion. My only regrets? I bought this figure for the dirt cheap price of £5 because his head was broken off. His electronics somehow still work, pop his head back on his shoulders and he can still roar. I regret buying him though because of how fragile he is, I'm far too scared to put him on display for fear of him falling and being damaged further.

• Jurassic Park Tapejara
    Anyone here sensing a theme? I regret this guy for the same reason I regret the Aqua Spino. Wasn't a priority but was dirt cheap on Ebay.

• Jurassic Park Allosaurus Assault
    Happy that I have him, not happy with the reason why I have him. I had gotten a larger-than-usual paycheck from work and decided to try my luck at winning a JP3 Animatronic Spinosaurus and, of course, I didn't win. Salty from my loss, I decided to spend all that money I was gonna spend on that Spino on what ever rare JP figure I came across, which just so happened to be this Allosaurus. And this guy, this one loose figure, cost me £150. All because I was a salty, sore looser.

• Papo Baryonyx
    Wha-? A non-JP figure! Incredible! I hate his pose. I bought him because I wanted to force myself to love him and because I don't have a single Baryonyx in my collection. I mean, he looks good at certain angles and I'm happy that I have him, but I could live without him.

• Walking With Dinosaurs Ultimate Gorgon
    And here we have the majority of the reason why I wanted to start this topic. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this toy. Firstly, mine arrived with broken legs. The left one can't bend backwards and the right one can't bend forwards, so making him stand it a pain. His feet, which are articulated, and look and move constantly, so when he does stand his feet give way and he collapses, taking every figure next to him down as well.
    I made him a stand and he still kept falling, but he cost me £75 so I'm not just gonna keep him off my display. Then there's his paint. Sloppily painted teeth and an odd metallic paint job. I honestly have no idea what I was thinking when I bought him, he's easily my biggest regret.

So yeah, while I do have lots to hate about these figures, I also have a lot to love.

But are any of you the same? Got any toys or figures you have regrets buying?

Flaffy

Every single gosh darn Jurassic World product I bought. Every single one of them.

stargatedalek

I have very few figures that I regret buying, some I regret buying when I bought them and wish I'd been more patient for a better price, but that's it for the most part...

Except for the REBOR Compsognathus, I shouldn't have bought that. I got suckered by that dragonfly and low and behold its wings are made of laminate and will probably snap if anyone looks at it funny. The Compsognathus itself doesn't stand anymore and the hinged jaw just slacks open. To top it off Papo is finally making a JP Compy only a year later.

I don't even regret buying the JW figures that I did, but I knew what I was getting into with those, I ordered that Compy before anyone had one in-hand to point out the problems with the dragonfly.

laticauda

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 06, 2017, 04:13:22 AM
Every single gosh darn Jurassic World product I bought. Every single one of them.

We can all agree Hasbro did a poor job on the JW lineup.  But amazingly they have done better than I would have thought.  My son has a couple of JW toy and he plays with them a lot.  Everything still work on them.  There not broken and have held up so far. 

Faelrin

Perhaps some of the JW toys. They don't appeal to me much anymore, and most just sit in a box unless that rare time my nieces come over. I still enjoy the Mosasaurus, and the Ankylosaurus, and my one niece has had lots of fun playing with the Chomping T. rex, but I was pretty naive then when I got them. I also gave into the nostalgia of toy collecting. Hadn't done something like that in years, let alone with any dinosaur figures since the JPIII line was still in stores. Lost all of what I had of that in my parent's storage unit plenty of years ago unfortunately. It wasn't the first and only time I've lost my childhood toys in that kind of situation either.

However some good came of it I guess. It was what got me back into collecting dinosaur figures again. Aside from that I also learned about scalpers, and hoarders, and how exciting, but also how annoying toy hunting or chasing can be. I also learned that I ultimately don't need to have a "complete" collection like some people feel compelled too. It truly didn't satisfy me that much when I had gotten most of the JW line, in the end. Money and space are precious things as well. I also know to check a figure thoroughly before getting it, at least if I can buy it in person, for paint apps, and also other quality control issues which comes with that. Honestly had I not had the curiosity to google some of the JW line for reviews and whatnot, I don't think I would have come across the dinotoyblog, and ultimately joining this forum, either.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

Probably The Lost World Giant Pteranodon.  I still like it, but the cloth wings don't age well.

PhilSauria

Probably the one I most regret buying is the Carnegie brown Tyrannosaur - I was unlucky enough to get the one with the warped face, when viewed straight on on. Should have done my homework there!, warnings exist on line here and there, I later found out. Even so I cannot bring myself to bin it so it languished out of sight on the top shelf of the linen cupboard.

Loon

After years of poor choices at fast food restaurants, the only figure I can say I regret buying is my own body. The meals were all quick transactions, but in reality, I'm still paying for them to this day.

But, in all seriousness, the Papo Baryonyx was pretty poor. But, the one in my collection I regret the most is my Safari Carcharadontosaurus. It's not a bad figure at all, but mine is particularly poor. The legs are warped and the paint is chipped, but that's the way I bought it. I guess I'm to blame, as I did buy it from "Chick-Fil-A: the Store", I mean Political Lobby, er...I mean Hobby Lobby. Where I presume they let some kind of Eldeitchian Abomination play with the toys and bang them against some bricks.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on December 06, 2017, 07:10:55 AM
After years of poor choices at fast food restaurants, the only figure I can say I regret buying is my own body. The meals were all quick transactions, but in reality, I'm still paying for them to this day.

Ha!

I regret buying the Diramix Livyatan.

I regretted trading for the Chap Mei "Ornitholestes" until I replaced it with the DeAgostini version.

And the Rebor Ceratosaurus.

But I don't dwell on it. Most of the time, no matter how much I personally dislike a figure, I can find someone else who will enjoy it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Loon on December 06, 2017, 07:10:55 AM

Haha, good one, that made my day start with a laugh :D

I yet had no figures I really regretted buying, but some I sorted out again before them having up for display really like some CollectA theropods (those with the wide hips as Saurophaganax). on the other hand I somewhat regret having sold again some others, as the Bullyland Ankylosaurus. But that's how it is,... you only have so much space.

sauroid

i regretted buying the crappy early-mid period Schleich figures @brand new prices.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAfter years of poor choices at fast food restaurants, the only figure I can say I regret buying is my own body. The meals were all quick transactions, but in reality, I'm still paying for them to this day.

Don't even get me started, nutrition is one of my interests and passions >:D

Reptilia

I regret buying three Schleich figures around last Christmas, the mini Saichania, Dimetrodon and Pentaceratops. I reckon I could have invested my money in better stuff. I ended up giving away all three to a friend's little son, so at least someone enjoyed them and I can pretend with myself that I wanted to make a gift. Honestly the Pentaceratops is cool, but I just couldn't see it fitting with the rest of my collection.

suspsy

Probably the JW Ankylosaurus. My first and only JW toy, not counting Hero Mashers.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

My only regret is not bad, but still I got the CollectA Deinocheirus days before the Safari one was revealed and I prefer the look on the Safari one, but I like the Collecta one a lot and I don't have the need to replace it right now, it looks fine enough in my shelf. I almost emailed dejankins to order Papo Acro the same day the repaint was announced but I got distracted, that was lucky!

Shadowknight1

Most figures I've bought, I've been happy with, even the somewhat goofy Jurassic World Allosaurus.  But if I had one figure that I regret buying, it's REBOR's Wind Hunter.  While I like the overall look of the figure, the featherless fingers and underside are a bit ew, but that could be forgiven if I hadn't had to buy a support to keep it from toppling over.  I don't know, wouldn't it have been more preferable to maybe put a metal support inside the leg to keep it from bending and use a magnet to "affix" it to the stand?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

PhilSauria

Just thought of another one - the Schleich Giganotosaurus; who knew at time that what Safari had in store! And it was an original and not one of the vast horde of Asian copies that soon sprang up. Even then, thinking back I can't recall what would have made me buy it, lack of viable alternatives is not that great an excuse. And it's not that I'm a Schleich hater, I have a lot of their big beefy retro models from the early days, that's a company with such a patchy level of quality.

Shonisaurus

I do not regret having bought any of the figures I have in my modest collection. With the only one that perhaps these disillusioned is with the carnotaurus of Geoworld, I find a figure not very finished and with a material too rigid. However Geoworld has good figures such as caudipteryx or stygimoloch.

Ravonium

Pretty much anything I bought before I became a serious collector of extinct animals (with a few exceptions).

Bowhead Whale

I regret having bought the Schleich Pentacerarops. It looks like an ANCHICERATOPS! The frill is all wrong!!! And it costed me 20$Canadian, what a waste...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: