News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Retire a figure!

Started by Brontozaurus, December 12, 2017, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

What figure/s, in your opinion, should be retired, to presumably be replaced by better versions?

Bonus points for picking figures that aren't early CollectA models.

Although speaking of CollectA, I wouldn't mind seeing their current Diabloceratops get retired. Their recent ceratopsians look great...and then there's the Diabloceratops being all weird and chunky.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

RobinGoodfellow

As a collector, I really don't like when figures are retired (and prices go higher on Ebay).
I really prefer that figures could stay on the market as long as possible.
You can freely choose to buy or not and it's your choice..
I hate scalpers.  >:(

sauroid

not necessarily retire, but make a non-JP style feathered or non-feathered Tyrannosaurus rex by Papo. also their Triceratops should be remade or make a non-JPesque one. Safari Ltd should retire their old Allosaurus and Stegosaurus and make new ones, they also should make a new Styracosaurus. i will add more when i remember which ones should be retired/remade
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Every CollectA made before 2010 really should just go.

Also every Schleich Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor.

IrritatorRaji

All of Papo's T.Rex's should just go. I get that Papo serves as a nice way to get cheaper JP merch, but the market is absolutely saturated with JP style Rex's and their many repaints of the same damn Rex model doesn't help with that at all. They still have a long way to go in terms of creating scientifically sound models, but Papo have already shown that they've got the potential to create something great with their feathered Velociraptor. A feathered Rex from Papo, that isn't JP inspired, could have the potential to be amazing.

Jose S.M.

I think the first wild safari T- rexes should be retired, they were not on the same league even of the featherless one, let alone the 2017. But companies have to take in count business not just accuracy or style and if you look at the best seller page on safari website, those horrible rexes are there.

Lanthanotus

All current prehistoric Schleich's except for the Kentrosaurus and Brachiosaurus and for sure the 2018 releases. Special honorable mention on the retire list would go to Schleich's Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Barapasaurus and Herrerasaurus.

Irritation

The Schleich Acrocanthosaurus has to go.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 12, 2017, 04:19:20 PM
All current prehistoric Schleich's except for the Kentrosaurus and Brachiosaurus and for sure the 2018 releases. Special honorable mention on the retire list would go to Schleich's Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Barapasaurus and Herrerasaurus.

I actually think the Bara and Herrera are okay. I mean, they're not accurate by any means, but they look really nice. The Barapasaurus is one of the most formidable sauropods I've ever seen, I can imagine that'd be great for children to play with as they can finally have a big, bad, strong herbivore that isn't a Ceratopsian, Ankylosaur or Nodosaur. The Herrerasaurus just has a certain charm about it, it reminds me of a fox in some way.

As for the Allo and Acro, yeah, they're horrible. That Acrocanthosaurus especially, I know Schleich couldn't have possibly known about it before hand, but it was pretty unfortunate to have released that Acrocanthosaurus in the same year as Papo's.

BlueKrono

The Barapasaurus stands out in my mind as one of the most ridiculously ugly dinosaur sculpts of the 21st century. I like it for my own reasons, but the sooner that thing is off the market, the better. It's an embarrassment!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ZoPteryx

Definitely the Schleich Acrocanthosaurus and the toothy Papo Pteranodon.  And as Jose said, those older Safari rexes should be shown the door trash bin.

Keaton64

I'm surprised Safari has held on to their old brachiosaurus as long as they have, but then I see that it is on their best seller list while the newer one isn't even on it.  The spinosaurus also really needs to be replaced (and the old great white needs to go too).

Faelrin

Pretty much the old outdated Safari Ltd figures, such as the scaly Velociraptor, the old green T. rex figures, etc, because of the shrink-wrapping, pronated wrists, lack of sculpt detail, etc. I'm probably biased because I'm tired of that being mostly the only thing the A.C. Moore's and Micheal's around me carry for Safari Ltd products though.

I really want a new Tyrannosaurus from Papo that is original (aka not a knockoff off of the JP T. rex, or the V. rex). Most of their recent theropods have been done really nicely, which is why I want to see this remade. I don't think the other ones necessarily need retired quite yet.  Maybe eventually though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

Most of those Schleich figures have been released in the last couple of years, so quite difficult to see them retired that soon. Then again Schleich's not concerned with improving their models, so a new version might not automatically be better, although with the new Triceratops they succeeded. I also think Papo should remake their T-Rex, as well as a new Triceratops and Spinosaurus would be awesome. But I believe that if they'd ever resculpt anything that would be T-Rex, yes. Don't think that they would retire the other two sculpts anyway, they are still among their best sellers, would be a commercial suicide. If I were them I would retire all the ridicolous repaints though, who needs two colour variants of the Oviraptor, Velociraptor and running T-Rex? Especially when the newer version is so inferior to the previous one.

Fembrogon

I'll give another vote to Safari's old T.rexes. As much as I love my 1996 green rex, it's been completely outdone TWICE now by newer sculpts; and the 2007 version looked ugly from the start.
I get why Safari would want to keep them, if they continue to sell well; but if they want to push education they should take the ax to those figures and encourage customers harder towards the new ones.

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Guys, please, anyone know which collecta's figures are retired? Does anyone have a full list?

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

tanystropheus

Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 12, 2017, 08:49:43 PM
Definitely the Schleich Acrocanthosaurus and the toothy Papo Pteranodon.  And as Jose said, those older Safari rexes should be shown the door trash bin.

Good point and yet Papo retires their vastly superior Tupuxuara model. Go figure!

tanystropheus

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 12, 2017, 07:18:06 PM
The Barapasaurus stands out in my mind as one of the most ridiculously ugly dinosaur sculpts of the 21st century. I like it for my own reasons, but the sooner that thing is off the market, the better. It's an embarrassment!

It looks like something out of Hellraiser.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: