News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Different Schleich lines

Started by DinoToyForum, December 23, 2017, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I'm trying to categorise the different Schleich figures by line. As far as I can tell from the Dinotoyblog reviews, there are several lines:
Replica-saurus
World of History
Conquering the Earth
The First Giants
Prehistoric Mammals

Firstly, have I missed any, and are all of the above valid?

Secondly, does anyone know to which line, if none of the above, this Allosaurus (http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/10/08/allosaurus-schleich/) and T. rex. (http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/05/25/tyrannosaurus-rex-smallschleich/) belong?

If anyone has a breakdown of the full contents of each line, I'd appreciate it. If not, perhaps we can do that together here?

Takama

Those small Dinos you listed are a part of the Junior line which was released along side the Replicasaurus models

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2017, 07:14:15 PM
Those small Dinos you listed are a part of the Junior line which was released along side the Replicasaurus models

Thanks. Do you know if that line has an official name? "Replica-saurus junior" or something?

Shonisaurus

According to dinosaurcollectorsitea.com he calls them Schleich Standard Dinosaur series. Those figures came out in 2003 and then they took out new ones in 2006 that were the anhanguera and the allosaurus.

The name I have taken from dinosaurcollectorsitea what I did know was the year in which these figures were published in 2003 for the most part and in 2006 I repeat the allosaurus and anhanguera.

Anyway, I passed the link on the page:

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/schliechStandard.html

CityRaptor

Let's see:

- means subline
-- subline of subline

Schleich Minis ( 1965 - 2004 apparently )

Schleich Classics
-Unpainted ( 1979 - 1990 )
-Painted ( 1991 -1994 )

Replica Saurus ( 1994 - 2012 )

Prehistoric Series ( 2003 - 2011 )

Plüschsaurier  ( 1994 )

Die kleinen Dinos/Junior ( 2002 - 2014 )

World of History -> Dinosaurs ( renamed )
- normal/large Dinosaurs ( 2012 )
--The first Giants ( 2016 )
--Conquering the Earth ( 2017 )
-Mini Dinosaurs ( 2015 )
-Small Dinosaurs ( 2015 )

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

That's very helpful. Do you think it would be possible to put launch/retirement dates on the different lines?

CityRaptor

Okay, updated the list, although I got some conflicting dates for the first Minis and Classics.
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 23, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
Okay, updated the list, although I got some conflicting dates for the first Minis and Classics.

Wonderful, thanks so much!

A query: When you say "World of History -> Dinosaurs ( renamed )", do you simply mean that the 'World of History' line was renamed 'Dinosaurs'?

CityRaptor

Technically it was split. Originally it was

World of History
-Dinosaurs
-Knights

But in 2016 both sublines were changed into proper lines, with Knights being renamed to Eldrador. One could assume that even Schleich thought they could no longer get away with calling it World of History when they include a lot of "How to train your Dragon" rejects, griffons and a guy riding a huge scorpion in the line, but I think that has marketing reasons instead. 
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 23, 2017, 08:25:24 PM
Technically it was split. Originally it was

World of History
-Dinosaurs
-Knights

But in 2016 both sublines were changed into proper lines, with Knights being renamed to Eldrador. One could assume that even Schleich thought they could no longer get away with calling it World of History when they include a lot of "How to train your Dragon" rejects, griffons and a guy riding a huge scorpion in the line, but I think that has marketing reasons instead.

Okay, thanks. Do you know if any figures were released as part of the 'Dinosaurs' line after it became a proper line? In other words, is 'Dinosaurs' essentially redundant for the purposes of, say, Dinotoyblog review titles?

CityRaptor

Pretty much stuff the like the Volcano, Skull Trap and most sets containing several figures is all just labeled Dinosaurs.
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 23, 2017, 10:30:39 PM
Pretty much stuff the like the Volcano, Skull Trap and most sets containing several figures is all just labeled Dinosaurs.

Okay, thanks for your help. I wonder why they keep rebranding, especially in recent years. It is confusing!

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 24, 2017, 12:34:23 AM
I wonder why they keep rebranding, especially in recent years. It is confusing!

Maybe it is to try to give off the impression to collectors (who are a dying market for Schleich in recent years) that they are actually trying something new with their dinosaur line when, in reality, a lot of their dinosaurs are just remakes of genera they have already made.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ravonium on December 24, 2017, 07:50:12 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 24, 2017, 12:34:23 AM
I wonder why they keep rebranding, especially in recent years. It is confusing!

Maybe it is to try to give off the impression to collectors (who are a dying market for Schleich in recent years) that they are actually trying something new with their dinosaur line when, in reality, a lot of their dinosaurs are just remakes of genera they have already made.

Or maybe they just have a high turnover of marketing staff.

japfeif

Ok...another Schleich question:

The much applauded Kentrosaurus (#14541), the purple-y one, came out in 2015 & was part of the World of History line I  guess before it got split. The new one, #14583, from 2017 was part of the Conquering the Earth line (or "subline). Anyway, how exactly is the newer one better than the first one, which seemed to get rave reviews? I just received the new one a couple weeks ago and to be honest I cannot tell much difference, and can't find a thread (although I assume there IS one somewhere) that actually goes thru the improvements in the new one, coloring aside.

Any info here? Of course, I know alot is just personal preferences to a degree (I know that I for one totally prefer the older Allosaurus & Brachiosaurus figures to the new ones, even though these guys came out way back in 2012...the new ones just look bad to me..but just a personal preference I guess)

Lanthanotus

I am not aware of any mayor disciussion here on the forum wheter the older one or newer one is better. I guess the new one went rather unheeded as the old one was widely considered a very good figure - especially for a Schleich dino - and people did not bother spending their money on a second figure that is so less differnt from the first. I however got it and I display both next to each other as I like to think of them as a pair and I'd like more companies doing a certain species and sculpt in two slighty different stances/molds so you can build nice dioramas and scences.

Takama

OK avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum I just got the Animantarx in the mail today, and it has no Tag that indicates what the theme for 2019 is. So im asumeing that there doing away with them. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on January 14, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
OK avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum I just got the Animantarx in the mail today, and it has no Tag that indicates what the theme for 2019 is. So im asumeing that there doing away with them.

By "theme", do you mean "line"? How about the Schleich website, have they updated that? It would be a surprise if they really have done away with their lines!

Takama

It seems to be the same.  the new 2019 Releases are listed as Age of Dinosaurs, but there are 2018 releases in that page.

Takama

Honestly,  If we review any of the Future releases, i think we should just Titile them [Insert Dinosaur name] By Schleich

If i were to review this Animantarx (which im not sure if i will) thats how i plan on Nameing it.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.