News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. Softmodels

Started by Bokisaurus, July 28, 2012, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on November 28, 2012, 01:43:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM
The original Favorite Deinonychus is a far superior model to the 2012 one, .......

There's no 2012 Deinonychus. That is a Velociraptor ;).
I like it better than the old Deinonychus model.

I am aware of what it looks like, you don't need to post a photo :)
And personally, I think that model is hideous. The sculpting, textures, and colours are all ugly to me *yuck*

I like all Favorite figures but  these figures are too expensieve to me  :-\.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Quote from: Jetoar on November 28, 2012, 10:17:12 PM
I like all Favorite figures but  these figures are too expensieve to me  :-\.

The most expensive figure of the 2012 Soft Model series (the Brachiosaurus) is Yen 998 which is about USD 12. I don't think this is too expensive.
Ignore those early & overpriced eBay offers! The figures will surely be available in a normal price range soon.

stoneage

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on November 28, 2012, 01:43:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM
The original Favorite Deinonychus is a far superior model to the 2012 one, .......

There's no 2012 Deinonychus. That is a Velociraptor ;).
I like it better than the old Deinonychus model.

I am aware of what it looks like, you don't need to post a photo :)
And personally, I think that model is hideous. The sculpting, textures, and colours are all ugly to me *yuck*

What makes the Deinonychus colors so much better?  At least the new Velociraptor has a base so it doesn't fall over!   ::)

tyrantqueen

QuoteWhat makes the Deinonychus colors so much better?  At least the new Velociraptor has a base so it doesn't fall over!   ::)
It's a matter of personal taste, that's what ::) Just because it has a base, doesn't have any effect on the sculpt at all.

I hate how it looks as though the artist tried to cram in a many details as possible. I hate the ugly colour combination of brown, grey and yellow. I hate the feathering on the forearms and back legs, they look as though they were added on at the last moment. I hate the emaciated look. I hate the overly large feet. I hate the rushed paintwork on the feathers on the forearms and legs.  The whole thing just screams UGLY to me.
In particular, the scaly texture of the feathers, the stripy pattern on the forearms and legs, and the furry effect of the mane just clash together and it looks horrible (in my opinion)

The previous version, though it is still brown and yellow, is more understated and less offensive to me. I like the sleek look. I also like the feet and forearms. I like how the tail moves in a gentle curve. Sure, there are less details and textures, but it they work together and the whole thing is just more harmonious.

There, good enough for you? ^-^

John

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 28, 2012, 07:47:26 AM
Quote from: H.Toku on November 28, 2012, 07:02:56 AM

Tarbosaurus Vinyl Figure of the official toy of the special exhibition
"The Gobi:Cradle of the most enchanting dinosaur fossils"  at Osaka Museum of Natural History.
I sculpted the original model of this toy.

The length is 25cm.
The material of commodity is PVC.
manufactured by favorite (Kinto)

About more information
http://a-fragi.blogspot.jp/2012/11/tarbosaurus.html

:D  It's a WONDERFUL figure and I MUST have it :)!
Yes it is truly an impressive figure. ;D
Unfortunately,expect it to cost more than double what it should as Japenese dinosaurs have been tending to be when they turn up on eBay.It seems to be the latest scam on eBay to me.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Simon

OTOH, I have a warm spot in my heart for this Kabaya Deinonychus, whihc is smaller (but still an Araki sculpt):

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 29, 2012, 02:12:08 AM
QuoteWhat makes the Deinonychus colors so much better?  At least the new Velociraptor has a base so it doesn't fall over!   ::)
It's a matter of personal taste, that's what ::) Just because it has a base, doesn't have any effect on the sculpt at all.

I hate how it looks as though the artist tried to cram in a many details as possible. I hate the ugly colour combination of brown, grey and yellow. I hate the feathering on the forearms and back legs, they look as though they were added on at the last moment. I hate the emaciated look. I hate the overly large feet. I hate the rushed paintwork on the feathers on the forearms and legs.  The whole thing just screams UGLY to me.
In particular, the scaly texture of the feathers, the stripy pattern on the forearms and legs, and the furry effect of the mane just clash together and it looks horrible (in my opinion)

The previous version, though it is still brown and yellow, is more understated and less offensive to me. I like the sleek look. I also like the feet and forearms. I like how the tail moves in a gentle curve. Sure, there are less details and textures, but it they work together and the whole thing is just more harmonious.

??? ...

You shouldn't be so full of hate.
Calm down! It's just a plastic toy figure :).

Jetoar

I like the colors of old deinonychus. The new raptor look as a rare bald eagle or a vulture from my point of view  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 29, 2012, 06:48:04 AM

??? ...

You shouldn't be so full of hate.
Calm down! It's just a plastic toy figure :).
I was answering Stoneage's question. I explained my position as throughly as I could. If it came off as "hateful" then I apologise. I suppose "dislike" would have been a better word. I can be too outspoken sometimes, sorry :-[

And really, if this is a just a plastic toy figure, why are we on an internet forum dedicated to discussing them? Is that not the purpose of a forum, to share one's views with others? Rather than just posting pretty pictures and getting nice comments all the time.

Patrx

If it helps any, TQ, I happen to agree with you on that Velociraptor. Supportive as I am of the march toward the Feathery Futureā„¢*, I don't like how this one turned out much. The slitted pupil is off-putting, the skull's a bit shrink- wrapped, and the feather distribution just doesn't convince me. Points for the fluffy neck, though - and I think I spot feathers starting at the second digit? The wing is an odd shape, so I can't quite tell.

Then again, I'll probably pick one up, maybe have it repainted. After all, despite my issues with the Deinonychus, I did eventually buy one of those XD
I also recently purchased the recently mentioned Kabaya Deinonychus:)  It's definitely got some issues, but I love the pose, tail fan, and color scheme. Still, my favorite dromaeosaur figure so far has to be the Kaiyodo "Kitadanryu". Beautiful little thing. If only there was a larger version.

*Thanks Marc, hope you don't mind me borrowing the name.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 29, 2012, 07:26:57 AM
And really, if this is a just a plastic toy figure, why are we on an internet forum dedicated to discussing them? Is that not the purpose of a forum, to share one's views with others? Rather than just posting pretty pictures and getting nice comments all the time.

That depends. To me a single "pretty picture" says a lot more than tons of negative comments ;).
I like the anatomical accuracy discussion but I don't need any discussion at all in order to decide if I like a figure or not.

Seijun

Is Kinto retiring their older "soft model" figures or are these new ones just being added to the line?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Seijun on December 05, 2012, 10:46:18 PM
Is Kinto retiring their older "soft model" figures .......?

At least not yet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012 "soft model"  Allosaurus  :)

postsaurischian

2012 "soft model"  Tarbosaurus  :)
(special museum model)

tyrantqueen

I like the Allosaurus very much...a massive improvement over the previous model. The Tarbosaurus is a bit meh for me. I don't like the head/skull shape.

Yutyrannus

Actually, for once, I agree with you. Also the old Deinonychus has more accurate wings and DOES look more realistic. And if you really want the black-and-white version, you could buy the whole set, keep the Deinonychus, and sell the rest.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

I too prefer the older Deinonychus. To me it is one of the best feathered dromaeosaurs out there.

Fukuiraptor

The Tarbosaurus looks teethless  *yuck*

Takama

tanystropheus

IMO, the entire 2012/2013-cusp Kinto line is a marked improvement over the previous iteration(s).
The Spinosaurus is far more elegant, colours are exponentially better,
The Triceratops has an accurate posture (especially the limb positioning), and more realistic skin texture,
The Styracosaurus rivals the Papo and X-plus versions,
Deinonychus/Velociraptor packs more detail and appears less gummy,
The Brachiosaurus looks more organic, head sculpt is drastically improved,
The T-rexes are stockier, more aesthetically pleasant,
Plesiosaurus appears to be an improvement from what I hear (despite the already accurate original),
The Allosaurus is probably one of the best in the market...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: