News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. Softmodels

Started by Bokisaurus, July 28, 2012, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

I love the Tarbosaurus :). One can clearly see the scientific research being done.
Only (not so good) thing is the typical Favorite standing problem. One breath of wind and poor Tarbo falls over. Maybe they should have given him a base as well.

Mr. Tokugawa, are there any more plans of you designing more for Favorite in the future :)?

brontodocus

I can imagine the original model and the resin masters can stand better. It's probably the vinyl of the figure that warps a little, maybe in package? When I got mine shortly before Christmas it could stand already but a little hot water treatment re-aligned the feet soles properly, just like they most likely were when the figure came from its mold. Still the rather small feet combined with a weight of over 180 g makes it a little unstable, like the original Soft Model Tyrannosaurus. But I don't really worry much about that, I like it just as much as I had expected. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Dan H

The Favorite Co. collection was released in 2004. I'm not sure when I got mine, but it was from a Canadian company that is now out of business. I think one reason these dinos are so hard to find is that a number of their distributors went out of business. The dealers that do stock them are often out of stock or have only a few of the figures.
Favorite seems to be mainly interested in the Japanese market, where they have their own online store. Several of the figures (the black T-Rex, the special edition T-Rex and Triceratops, and now the museum Tarbosaurus) were issued only for the Japanese market.
For the record, the "second series" that never came to be was to consist of Iguanodon, Velociraptor, Spinosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and one other carnivore (possibly Acrocanthosaurus, Carnotaurus, or Ceratosaurus). I kept bugging the Canadian distributor about these and he replied that he had seen the clay models and that they were awesome, but of course he couldn't share any pictures.
I have both complete sets - the original 2004 release of 14 figures and the new 2012 release of 13 figures. I like them all. I'd like to see Favorite release one new figure annually, but I wouldn't be surprised if they release no new figures until the next "resculpt" in 8 or 10 years.

stoneage

Quote from: Dan H on January 13, 2013, 02:12:37 PM
The Favorite Co. collection was released in 2004. I'm not sure when I got mine, but it was from a Canadian company that is now out of business. I think one reason these dinos are so hard to find is that a number of their distributors went out of business. The dealers that do stock them are often out of stock or have only a few of the figures.
Favorite seems to be mainly interested in the Japanese market, where they have their own online store. Several of the figures (the black T-Rex, the special edition T-Rex and Triceratops, and now the museum Tarbosaurus) were issued only for the Japanese market.
For the record, the "second series" that never came to be was to consist of Iguanodon, Velociraptor, Spinosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and one other carnivore (possibly Acrocanthosaurus, Carnotaurus, or Ceratosaurus). I kept bugging the Canadian distributor about these and he replied that he had seen the clay models and that they were awesome, but of course he couldn't share any pictures.
I have both complete sets - the original 2004 release of 14 figures and the new 2012 release of 13 figures. I like them all. I'd like to see Favorite release one new figure annually, but I wouldn't be surprised if they release no new figures until the next "resculpt" in 8 or 10 years.

I believe the Canadian company was called Toyology and they had the best prices.  They also sold the Georamas.

H.Toku

To postsaurischian、

I'm very sorry for my reply was late.
After Tarbosaurus, I sculpted Saurolophus for the model of the official toy of the exhibition "The Gobi:Cradle of the most enchanting dinosaur fossils" .

more images http://fragi.blog70.fc2.com/blog-entry-876.html

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 02, 2013, 08:53:03 PM
I love the Tarbosaurus :). One can clearly see the scientific research being done.
Only (not so good) thing is the typical Favorite standing problem. One breath of wind and poor Tarbo falls over. Maybe they should have given him a base as well.

Mr. Tokugawa, are there any more plans of you designing more for Favourite in the future :)?

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's the best saurolophus replica I've seen.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 02, 2013, 03:22:23 PM
That's the best saurolophus replica I've seen.
I think Galileo's is better

No disrespect to H.Toku.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Disregarding the fact it's Galileo who you have obtain it from,  it is well detailed, but the tripod pose is a bit old school..not a bad thing entirely..but it looks like it's going to fall over any second the way it's positioned .

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 02, 2013, 10:17:01 PM
Disregarding the fact it's Galileo who you have obtain it from,  it is well detailed, but the tripod pose is a bit old school..not a bad thing entirely..but it looks like it's going to fall over any second the way it's positioned .
I thought that the reason it was tripod because it was transitioning from quadrupedal to bipedal posture...or perhaps it is rearing up on its haunches to get a better view of its surroundings. It certainly never struck me as trying to be deliberately "retro" tripod. I don't think such a posture is completely impossible, a similar posture can be seen in birds (who usually have the tails lifted off the ground, but the tail itself sometimes might touch the ground from time to time when the animal is stationary)

I think it's a beautiful model...it is capturing a moment that you usually don't see in model kits.

Seijun

I think the post of Gal's saurolophus is very plausible (I too assumed it was going back down to a tripod pose, or rearing up temporarily), although it's not what I would consider the most beautiful posture. I intend to get Gal's model, however the Kinto saurolophus is without question the best plastic/toy version of the species.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know it just looks awkward to me..and the tail shouldn't curl either I don't think..there just wasn't any flexibility like that in hadrosaur tails from what I gather.

radman

Quote from: Seijun on March 02, 2013, 11:37:48 PM
The Kinto Saurolophus is without question the best plastic/toy version of the species.

Anybody  know how to get one of these?

Ikessauro

Quote from: radman on March 03, 2013, 01:28:17 AM
Quote from: Seijun on March 02, 2013, 11:37:48 PM
The Kinto Saurolophus is without question the best plastic/toy version of the species.

Anybody  know how to get one of these?

Would be nice to get one of each, a Tarbo and a Saurolophus. Are they expensive?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 03, 2013, 12:24:01 AM
I don't know it just looks awkward to me..and the tail shouldn't curl either I don't think..there just wasn't any flexibility like that in hadrosaur tails from what I gather.
I don't see any curl at all...looks relatively straight to me.

When I said the posture was beautiful, I was talking about the detailing mostly. Also, it is unusual to see hadrosaurs in a position like this (they usually get put in scared positions where they're about to get eaten by theropods) This is a sculpture that shows it behaving in a natural, animal like manner.

Also, BotM, I'm kinda confused about your position here. You didn't seem too bothered about having Protoceratops' tail touch the ground here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,833.60.html. How come it's so bad on a Saurolophus?
I'm not trying to bash, just kinda muddled  :-X

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 03, 2013, 02:16:57 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 03, 2013, 12:24:01 AM
I don't see any curl at all...looks relatively straight to me.

When I said the posture was beautiful, I was talking about the detailing mostly. Also, it is unusual to see hadrosaurs in a position like this (they usually get put in scared positions where they're about to get eaten by theropods) This is a sculpture that shows it behaving in a natural, animal like manner.

Also, BotM, I'm kinda confused about your position here. You didn't seem too bothered about having Protoceratops' tail touch the ground here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,833.60.html. How come it's so bad on a Saurolophus?
I'm not trying to bash, just kinda muddled  :-X

Near the tip it sorta veers off to the right if you were in front of it, according to my recent research the tail should be rigid and inflexible making such an extreme upright posture a bit impossible. Not saying it couldn't rear up just not quite so much.

Detailing and posture are usually two separate things ?  I get why you like the posture, it is interesting. A walking or grazing hadrosaur would have the same feel as well. This sorta look like it's on alert or sentry duty. The detailing is nice as on most of Galileo's pieces.

That was for a mostly non-probable but interesting concept  piece just to spark conversation.  It's interesting to discuss but not very likely. They are also different animals. Though it does seem Protoceratops and it's relatives had a bit of flexibility in their tails whereas hadrosaurs like saurolophus had ossified tendons that would have held them stiff. 

These figures are probably only available in Japan, I know when member had the Tarbo if I recall.  I wonder if Tom and Diane at Clawmark can get them ?

ChrisW

Quote from: stoneage on January 15, 2013, 01:27:29 AM
I believe the Canadian company was called Toyology and they had the best prices.  They also sold the Georamas.

They were called Toyosaurus, and they did indeed stock all of the Georamas. I got the entire first set of Soft Model figures from them, though they didn't have the Japan-only special releases (which I am still trying to track down) or the Spinosaurus, which came out after they went out of business.

I got my set of the new figures here:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/amiami/item/fig-ipn-5567/

It looks like I lucked out, though, since they're now on backorder just like at AmiAmi. I have yet to find a North American store that carries the new figures.

stoneage

Quote from: ChrisW on March 16, 2013, 05:46:26 PM
Quote from: stoneage on January 15, 2013, 01:27:29 AM

They were called Toyosaurus, and they did indeed stock all of the Georamas. I got the entire first set of Soft Model figures from them, though they didn't have the Japan-only special releases (which I am still trying to track down) or the Spinosaurus, which came out after they went out of business.

I got my set of the new figures here:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/amiami/item/fig-ipn-5567/

It looks like I lucked out, though, since they're now on backorder just like at AmiAmi. I have yet to find a North American store that carries the new figures.

Yes that was the name.  I got all my figures there.  I didn't buy the georamas because they were so expensive and fragile.  How much did you pay for shipping on the new Kinto figures?

ChrisW

Quote from: stoneage on March 18, 2013, 02:10:58 PMHow much did you pay for shipping on the new Kinto figures?

I paid $140 Canadian for the set of 13 including shipping. The shipping cost was about $60 to Vancouver.

EmperorDinobot

I want the old orange Spinosaurus. Send me a link and I will send you good karma.

stoneage

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: