You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Psittacosaurus family plastic, vinyl and resin toys

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, July 28, 2012, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Oh that little grey figure is amazing. I do not think any of the versions of the toy out there quite resemble it. I will have to watch and hope that by some odd chance one surfaces. I do not own the Starlux yet, but have been watching for one of those as well. They are really nice figures and I appreciate your sharing them both. There are more of the little guys out there than I could have guessed.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

copper

amargasaurus cazaui

Originally spotted in an Ebay lot in the UK, by our Tyrantqueen, I grabbed this fellow up. He is shy a claw on one hand and shows some paint wear, but is a rather eye catching piece due to his size alone. Aside from that, his hands and arms are even posed properly.
Noteworthy is since I purchased this one, a second one has been spotted on Ebay UK as well.....starting to wonder if this one is only availible overseas  .I named the big guy "Rocky" and gave him a spot in my display.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Glad to see you got a hold of that chinasaur Psittacosaurus finally ^-^ I had no idea it was so big :o

May I ask, is there a particular reason why you like psittacosaurs so much? Just curious really.

amargasaurus cazaui

In another thread people were discussing collecting styles and how people choose what they collect. I had mentioned I have a tendancy to cross collect, in other words, to find things already akin or related to other items I have that fit a common theme.
  In this case, the central piece is the Psittacosaur skeleton that was central to the other thread I made about Psittacosaurus. I named the little guy Nim and you can read quite a bit about him over in that thread. The choice of what dinosaur species to purchase a skeleton of, was somewhat  dictated by finances and availibility , as well as size constraints. In todays market if you want an entire dinosaur, that criteria would eliminate most of us from having a brachiosaurus or stegosaurus mounted in our living room from the standpoint of size.Following that logic, the cost is the secondary consideration. If you try to buy an entire dinosaur in todays market they are very pricey and delivery also gets rather involved. There is an example of a triceratops currently for sale on Ebay for around 600,000 dollars. I have seen many specimens of duckbill skull alone being sold for between 10 and fifty thousand dollars ...complete dinosaurs are just very price restrictive. So I selected a species i could afford, and also have room to display.Psittacosaurus are readily availible, and small in size.
  Once I got the dinosaur I began studying him and learning some of what does make them fascinating. This is a dinosaur caught in the act of evolving. The most striking thing is the bi-pedal style body coupled with the beak and teeth. The row of small openings at the back of the skull are hints of the large frills to come soon for north American horned dinosaurs. The skeleton itself has many fascinating aspects that speak to its origin and history...for instance the lack of pubic bone. Generally these dinosaurs originate in China, and the pubic bone if preserved, is seldom ever sold with the specimen as that bone is considered rather powerful medicine and kept.
  Purchasing the psittacosaurus became an act of, as the song says..."Love the one your with" The natural tendancy from there is to study and learn from it, and add things to his display as I can. I think other people find a theme for their own collecting that is at times similar, wether collecting an entire companys pieces or a certain kind of animal.

Ikessauro

Here's a pic of the two Psittacosaurus from Salvat collection. One of them has the white line in the back, the other don't.

amargasaurus cazaui

Lol those are cute. I had never seem them before. Are they for sale in your country or just locally ?

Ikessauro

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 09, 2012, 07:43:12 AM
Lol those are cute. I had never seem them before. Are they for sale in your country or just locally ?

They were part of the Salvat collection. Salvat is an Editor from Spain which produces magazines with giveaway stuff, much like planeta deagostini does. In 2000-2001 they produced a 40 magazine collection each of them featuring a species of prehistoric critters. So each magazine had a figure of the prehistoric animal it was about, except Velociraptor and Psittacosaurus which had two models each due to the small size of the figures.
They are since then discontinued and kind of collectibles, despite the fact that most of Salvat dinosaurs are knock offs from Battat, WWD, Safari, Carnegie, Schleich and Bullyland. I may have an spare pair of Psittacosaurus for trade, but I'll have to check to be sure.

amargasaurus cazaui

Certainly, let me know and thanks of course. Definitely interested.

Ikessauro

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 09, 2012, 10:39:26 AM
Certainly, let me know and thanks of course. Definitely interested.

Just check out my want list at classifieds. Maybe you've got something to offer. I did check and yes, I have two pairs. If the offer is good I might trade them.

amargasaurus cazaui

The attempt to acquire the Salvat piece failed. There was never a response to the offers given sadly, and somewhat oddly. Oh well, moving forward.
  This is the Shapeways piece I acquired some months back. It was printed in the high detail clear plastic and shattered at the feet when printed. For those that did not read as the issue occurred, Shapeways then refused to reprint the figure and fobbed me off with a discount coupon ten percent on some future order. So I was left with a badly broken figure and out almost eighty bucks for my efforts. The Psittacosaurus was removed from Shapeways by the sculptor Aaron Dooley after this fiasco by Shapeways.
  The plan had always been to send the dinosaur to Copper to be painted. By private discussion he encouraged me to move forward and send it to him and that he would repair the damage and still paint it. He actually had to repair the one standing foot, by regluing it, then replacing missing chips in the broken area and sculpting one entire missing toe.He then did his magic on the dinosaur for me. The idea was to create a similar Psittacosaurus to the one I first saw when I viewed the forum before joining, that belongs to Postsaurischian.
There are some minor differences, but its a lovely piece.

Balaur

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 03, 2013, 05:00:59 AM
The attempt to acquire the Salvat piece failed. There was never a response to the offers given sadly, and somewhat oddly. Oh well, moving forward.
  This is the Shapeways piece I acquired some months back. It was printed in the high detail clear plastic and shattered at the feet when printed. For those that did not read as the issue occurred, Shapeways then refused to reprint the figure and fobbed me off with a discount coupon ten percent on some future order. So I was left with a badly broken figure and out almost eighty bucks for my efforts. The Psittacosaurus was removed from Shapeways by the sculptor Aaron Dooley after this fiasco by Shapeways.
  The plan had always been to send the dinosaur to Copper to be painted. By private discussion he encouraged me to move forward and send it to him and that he would repair the damage and still paint it. He actually had to repair the one standing foot, by regluing it, then replacing missing chips in the broken area and sculpting one entire missing toe.He then did his magic on the dinosaur for me. The idea was to create a similar Psittacosaurus to the one I first saw when I viewed the forum before joining, that belongs to Postsaurischian.
There are some minor differences, but its a lovely piece.

Oh, my... That is gorgeous!

Bokisaurus

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 07:06:05 AM
I had hoped to see if someone would like to rise to the challenge and create this in plastic. I think the paint pattern would look as good wether using a Psittacosaurus or perhaps as another forum member offered (gryph) using a Safari Leptoceratops. If you think you have an idea for it, let me know via message. I would definitely like to have it done.

I was able to later have this done using a Carnegie Psittacosaurus. One thing I learned from posting back and forth with the artist, that speaks well for Gryph, is the original drawing that I used, was marked as Koreaceratops when I found it. The artist let me know the actual dinosaur pictured is a Unescoceratops, and in the original piece its shown with another animal, the Gryphoceratops. Both are primitive Leptoceratopsids, from Canada. Gryph was right on target suggesting a Leptoceratops, since that is what the dinosaur is.

The following piece is Martin Garrat's translation of the painting onto a Psittacosaurus. The second Psittacosaurus I allowed him to freestyle the paint scheme for. A base was then made to hold the two. I also have another done by Copper, and one done by Bob Morales to add to this set.

amargasaurus cazaui

Excited to see this guy coming !!! Wow look at those horns and teeth....Psittazilla !!!!!!

tyrantqueen

That Psittacosaurus looks like it could have been decent...if not for the horribly sculpted head and broken forearms :-\

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2013, 09:34:59 AM
That Psittacosaurus looks like it could have been decent...if not for the horribly sculpted head and broken forearms :-\

The entire figure reminds me of the "B" rate Japanese monster movies, with actors in large oversized suits. This guy would fit right in. I could see him trampling Tokyo now.......

amargasaurus cazaui

Here are a few sneak peaks of the Carnegie Psittacosaurus done for me by Bob Morales. I like the patterns and colors and think the pattern resembles a salamander a great deal. Amazing piece, and thanks Bob Morales.

amargasaurus cazaui

Thought I would share this image. This is one of the favorite groups in my collection. If you begin at the twelve O'clock notch with the factory original version, the two next in line are both done by Martin Garratt. The piece at roughly 5 o'clock was based on a painting done by Tony Cstonyi. The piece opposite is a version painted by Copper for me. At ten o 'clock is a version rendered by Bob Morales for me. As I look at them I cannot choose a personnal favorite. The one thing I am sure of is that I prefer each of them over the stock factory paint scheme.They are each unique and gorgeous to me, but so far none of them has become my favorite, or rather they ALL are.....which do you like ?

stoneage

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 05, 2013, 09:44:21 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2013, 09:34:59 AM

The entire figure reminds me of the "B" rate Japanese monster movies, with actors in large oversized suits. This guy would fit right in. I could see him trampling Tokyo now.......

At a little over 44 pounds, I think the only thing is was likely to trample was an ant hill!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: