You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

But finally, it is all done now -
Kaiyodo 1/20 Amargasaurus Resin model by Shinobu Matsumura
海洋堂 - 1/20 - アマルガサウルス - レジン 模型 - 松村しのぶ

And here with a smaller cup - in a more forward lenient angle - As I still can't  find it in my heart to permanently connect it to the base -

Comparing the two from the front -

Next to my Battat Diplodocus -

With other 1/20 Kaiyodo dinosaurs ( Vinyl T-rex & Saltasaurus ) - Actually, I didn't know Amargasaurus was such a tiny sauropod ...

BrontoScorpio

I actually can't put a specific date on the Amargasaurus -
But I have this clue :

from the  " Dinosaur Science Frontline " (  恐竜学最前線 ) by Gakken ( 学研 )
Edition no. 9  published on march 1995 -  The Mystery of the Super-Giant Dinosaurs / I'll Teach You How to Make a Dinosaur (  超巨大恐竜の謎 / 恐竜の創り方教えます )

It depicts a step by step process making of a dinosaur model

While taking this 1/20 Amargasaurus as its character -

Story told by Matsumura himself - As this is one of his most renowned works -

Including the paint application selecting process and technique -

And there is the completed model -
So, this model have at least predated 03/1995 -

BrontoScorpio

As for painting, since I leave it unpainted meanwhile,
There is, of course, this famous paint scheme by Matsumura ( 松村しのぶ ) himself seen in the previous post :

This specific example is known to be traveled arround the country of Japan in various Exhibitions - like this in the 'Kaiyodo Hobby Lobby' :

so did it here - in a famous Kaiyodo museum setup -

From up close :

Another famouse paint app. was done by a renowned sculpter who is also known for being a master paint designer, by the name of Goro Furuta ( 古田悟郎 )  -
Although he has many model prototypes of his own , that can also be seen in Kaiyodo and other Exhibitions -
He is also use to paint works by others, Like here in the 'Kaiyodo Hobby Museum' -

Or in this different lineup -

Or in this 'Ehime Prefectural Museum of Art Kaiyodo Exhibition' for Matsumura's works painted by Furuta -

You can see what a major role this specific model takes part in the Kaiyodo firurines lineup just by looking at the advertisement for that Kaiyodo event -

Some 'western' examples of paint schemes I found :
- Shane Foulkes is on the right - and Luis Rey's version is in the middle. The leftmost is a Japanese private collector's paint job

BrontoScorpio

Those were my group of Four Special Event limited Dinosaur Resin kits by Shinobu Matsumura -

I gathered them all for a final group shot -

Amargasaurus & Shantungosaurus are 1/20 scale, Scolosaurus is at 1/35 scale and Deinonychus without a stated scale -

BrontoScorpio

Next Resin kit realy is a dream come true of many years -

It consists of 3 different animals and some accessories -

postsaurischian

:o  Waahh! The Barosaurus / Allosaurus diorama. Fate would have it so.
       Congratulations! This is a true masterpiece and history-charged :D .

Now you're in trouble because it should get painted ;D .

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 05, 2024, 10:56:17 AM:o  Waahh! The Barosaurus / Allosaurus diorama. Fate would have it so.
      Congratulations! This is a true masterpiece and history-charged :D .

Thanks.
Nice of you to notice, while it's still in small pieces

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 05, 2024, 10:56:17 AMNow you're in trouble because it should get painted ;D .

Don't be hasty, pace yourself, we're not there yet - and NO - I would not dare ... :)

BrontoScorpio

At first - there is this :

The vicious Allosaurus as it circles its prey round and round like a shark

It looks like it is based on the 1/35 DINOLAND model of Allosaurus ( アロサウルス ) Antrodemus by Takashi Kinoshita ( 木下隆志 )

But is bigger in length and much wider -

Unlike Dan LoRusso model of Kaiyodo - I could not yet bring myself to permanently fix it to the ground :

But there it is With my original  Dan LoRusso's Allosaurus - Another Resin kit standing on just one leg -

That reminds me of the mythical post by the late Radman - 11 years ago - about the eight Allosaurs -

I am now able to gather 4/8 of them - I believe I have the 3 most toughest to get -

SidB

Thanks, avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio , for sharing these classic pieces, especially Dan Lorusso's masterpiece.

BrontoScorpio

And then there is this - the 2nd creature in the Diorama :

A baby 1/35 Barosaurus Resin Model :

My two small Barosaurs - a shot along with the 100mm DINOLAND Barosaurus -

BrontoScorpio

And finally, for the main course, after painstakingly I had put together all fine parts, There is this :

Kaiyodo 1/35 Resin Kit of a ( Rearing ) Barosaurus by Shinobu Matsumura
海洋堂    1/35  レジンキット - バロサウルス - 松村しのぶ

See how nicely the animal is balanced on just its hind legs - without the tail ever touches the ground :

You might not notice it from the angle it is usually being photographed -
but the neck has a curve on all dimensions :

All my 3 Barosaurs by Shinobu Matsumura :

BrontoScorpio

BrontoScorpio

That's an idea I haven't thought about ...
But actually some of them are.

BrontoScorpio

Almost twice as high, many times as expensive and gazillion times as rare -

My Shinobu Matsumura's Resin rearing Barosaurus next to my, yet still very beloved, Battat Diplodocus -

Towering over some of my other PVC rearing sauropods I gathered -

And also over my 1/20 (!) Resin Amargasaurus - that means it is in fact much much bigger -

My two most valuable models - The 1/35 Barosaurus & the 1/20 Shantungosaurus - both from Kaiyodo by Shinobu Matsumura -

All 4 Kaiyodo 1/35 Sauropods - 2 Vinyls and 2 Resins - 

How tall it is above the same scale 1/35 Araki's Brachiosaurus - It looks like it reaches approx. 20 meters in hight - I wonder how many floors that is ? ...

We could check it out in Edmonton town -
something I found in a book :

BrontoScorpio

And at last, all three creatures together :

Kaiyodo 1/35 Resin Cast Kit ' Barosaurus (P&C) vs Allosaurus ' from  1991 Limited Edition Collection  by Shinobu Matsumura
海洋堂    1/35  レジンキャストキット - バロサウルス (親子) 対 アロサウルス - 限定版 コレクション  - 松村しのぶ

Adding the two tree logs accessories to the Diorama :

So the vicious carnivore is trying his luck circling around in order to attack from the other side - 

At last, the small Barosaurus hatchling has found the safe place crouching under or hiding behind its mother -
And mother Barosaurus is rearing above the Allosaurus while defending her young

BrontoScorpio

And there is one more accessory part to this Diorama kit - The Display Base -

This is a telltale personal story - just for those who might find it interesting ...  :

I actually did not want the Display base in first place -
As it takes up such a lot of space. further more - it is about an inch thick and probably weighs a lot -
In such cases, it is due to smash everything else inside the parcel - in particularly the fine delicate thin parts.
I knew better not to ask my shopping company's warehouse people to make any parcel separations -
since they always somehow manage to get it wrong for the simplest requests -
and I ended up losing the entire thing.

So, I was much relieved a kit, WITHOUT the Display base, had showed up at an online store - just sitting there, ready to be picked up -
But the 1,700 $ price asked seemed to me somewhat too bold - so I hesitated.

This off course was a mistake - and I should have been reading the alert signs ...
since, the last time this kit was sold was almost 5 years before - in 2019 - and for 3.5 K$ -
and that for a crappy broken model ( not a mint kit ) that even did not have the head and upper neck of big mamy -

and that took 3 years to appear since the one before - on 2015 , that went for over 2.5 K$ -

I don't have the exact amount for the kit that was sold before that - but they had to wait another 3 years, to 2012 , for about the same 2.5 K$

So, Immagine my excitement when suddenly a new kit had appeared in paralel - and with even a 'Phantom' Resin T-rex as a bonus.
That's my chance !, I thought to myself.
But soon enough, joy turned to misery - as bidding wars drove it up for almost 4K$  :

After a day or two of recovery, I quickly returned to my godforsaken online store -and made a successful purchase order.
But time went by, one week and more - and after two weeks I asked my dear people where is it.
It turned out I was not the only one lurking on that kit, and soon enough, after the auction above ended,
this someone went physically to the store - and bought it right from under me ...

So, I learned my lesson.
In a mear chance, another kit appeared - and this time I was ready with a vengeance ...
Come to think of it - it might not be such a coincidence :
A good chance it was just a resell of my online store item from above, trying to gain a quick profit ...

BrontoScorpio

And that is the complete assembled Resin kit Diorama of 'Barosaurus vs Allosaurus' -
as it appears in the mid 90's Kaiyodo complete DINOLAND Catalog -
while asserting domination of all other kits and models, it immediately shows who rules the roost  :

A Later version of the same Catalog shows almost no changes - but interestly enough, a price increase of this specific Kit.
( I'll take this 30 y/o price at any given weather  :) ... )

BrontoScorpio

A great sensation from the moment it uppeared, on 1991, it used for the cover of the 1st issue of the outstanding Magazine series :

'Dinosaur Science Frontline' (  恐竜学最前線 ) by Gakken ( 学研 ) from August 1992
"Dinosaurs" Are Interesting Now UTAN "Amazing Science" Series Special ( 今「恐竜」がおもしろい UTAN「驚異の科学」シリーズスペシャル )

You can see here the same assembled kit , as the one used for the Catalog, painted in brown, from two more angles :
- on the left :  the cover ;    on the right :  from inside the Magazine :

The entire 13 volumes of the Magazine :

From the description inside :

with young Matsumura holding his famous model :

On  " Dinosaur Science Frontline " (  恐竜学最前線 ) by Gakken ( 学研 )
Issue no. 7  published on August 1994 - 
South America: The Last Paradise of Giant Dinosaurs ( 南アメリカ  巨大恐竜最後の楽園 )

Dedicated to 30 years of Kaiyodo's works - The same kit took a center stage at the dual page poster :

However, the tip of the tail has proven difficult to preserve ...

BrontoScorpio

In the smallest picture later in the Magazine you can see -
Matsumura handing over this same kit to one of the AMNH ( American Museum of Natural History - アメリカ自然史博物館 ) Directors.
As he created this work on order commissioned by the New York Museum of Natural History.

It was based on the display in the Roosevelt Hall in the AMNH :
A tall Model of Barosaurus rearing above an Allosaurus while defending its young :

The other 2 small pics depicts the 3-skeleton mount
and the famous painting commissioned by the museum from the Artist John Gurche :

Many of the 'Prehistoric Times' readers know this one from issue #122 :

There's also a  fine sketch :

And the publication from 'DinoPress' Magazine :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: