You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Orkoraptor is extremely fragmentary, even more so than Megaraptor.  All megaraptorans are only known from very fragmentary remains, but Megaraptor is the best choice to make into a figure as it's the best-known from fossil remains, and is the only one to look distinctive as a result.  The others are all just fantasy species.

Fembrogon

How about Brachylophosaurus, which had a bout of fame for the excellently-preserved "dinomummy" specimen, yet hasn't received a single toy to its name since the Jasman figure in 1997?

How about Pterodaustro, an extremely unique Pterosaur known from ample specimens of both adults and juveniles? ...Or hey, how about Pterodactylus itself, the "original" pterosaur?

How about Eryops, which was once a mainstay in almost every single "prehistoric life" book I can remember?

I'm not going to complain about more obscure genera getting toy attention, but I certainly agree there are a lot of much better-known animals which are more than deserving of quailty figures right now.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Yeah I'd really like to see all of those. At least the Eryops there has had a few (such as the Kaiyodo Dinotales ones, or the rare Play Visions one, etc), but not anything in recent years unfortunately.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Strepsodus

I didn't know that Quetzalcoatlus was fragmentary. But when Safari said they were doing Dino Dana models, I had some hope that one of the weird species seen in the show might be made into a figure. For me, I like when an animal with great remains is made into a figure, because that means you can be sure that the figure is truthful to what we know the real animal was like.

Fembrogon

Quetzalcoatlus both is and isn't fragmentary. There are two distinct species, the larger Q. northropi and the smaller Q. lawsoni. The former is barely known but we have a significant amount of material for the latter, which is used to inform what northropi probably looked like.
On that note, it would be kind of neat to have a figure that was distinctly marketed as the lawsoni species.

Halichoeres

Some of the disconnect between what is well-known and what is made as toys is because a large fraction of the dinosaur toy market is manchildren* who are only concerned with "What's the biggest ______?" or "Who would win in a fight?" The number of people I've seen wish for a Tyrannotitan or some similar megatheropod known from scraps is depressing.

*actual children too, but in actual children it's more forgivable.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

That would make sense, sadly. I admit I've always been partial to theropods as well, but even as a kid I recognized my meat-eaters still needed to EAT something, at least. :))

Gwangi

I must confess that with a few exceptions I'm mostly bored by large carnivorous theropods. I could care less about another Giganotosaurus or a Tyrannotitan, but I am excited by the prospect of a PNSO Acrocanthosaurus. At least in that instance it has a defining characteristic that makes it visually unique. I suppose that's a controversial opinion.

suspsy

Aside from tyrannosauroids, I too am not all that interested in big carnivores. Nor am I interested in more big ceratopsians (with the exception of Torosaurus) or sauropods (although as I noted before, the Patagotitan looks very good).

It really stinks how none of the megaraptorans are known from good remains, although that obviously wouldn't stop me from snapping up a toy of Aerosteon,Australovenator, Megaraptor, or Murusraptor. My CollectA Fukuiraptor would enjoy the company.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GiganotosaurusFan

Some other forum members and I would like another Giga  ;) Definitely I.
All the Gigas seem too thin, I mean the neck...Except the Vitae, and the dough!
I'm 11, still like dinosaur fights, and will continue enjoying them, but yes, I don't like people comparing T. Rex to something else and blah blah blah...

Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_GiganotosaurusFan @GiganotosaurusFan theres always eofaunas, though I think Mesozic life might make an amazing one if their spinosaurus is successful.
As per dinosaur fights, they always were, and always will be a part of me. In fact, I make videos dedicated to those old videos I grew up on.
Especially those old pivot animations.
Did you ever watched those?
Also, us 'Muricans will use anything besides the metric system to measure stuff, from football fields and tennis courts, to Shaquille O'Neals and in the mentioned case, Tyrannosauruses lol ;)
New meat eating dino half the size of T-rex. (Notice the lack of proper scientific punctuation)
Big veggie-saur twice the size of T-rex
Shark tooth dino from Uzbekistan terrorized T rex ancestors.
Is it "ruler of the dinosaurs " as in the king of dinosaurs,  or a measurement tool?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on April 28, 2022, 10:15:14 PM
Aside from tyrannosauroids, I too am not all that interested in big carnivores. Nor am I interested in more big ceratopsians (with the exception of Torosaurus) or sauropods (although as I noted before, the Patagotitan looks very good).

It really stinks how none of the megaraptorans are known from good remains, although that obviously wouldn't stop me from snapping up a toy of Aerosteon,Australovenator, Megaraptor, or Murusraptor. My CollectA Fukuiraptor would enjoy the company.
I want somebody to make a Maip figure
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on April 28, 2022, 09:58:22 PM
I must confess that with a few exceptions I'm mostly bored by large carnivorous theropods. I could care less about another Giganotosaurus or a Tyrannotitan, but I am excited by the prospect of a PNSO Acrocanthosaurus. At least in that instance it has a defining characteristic that makes it visually unique. I suppose that's a controversial opinion.
All large carcharodontosaurids look exactly the same

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2022, 06:03:05 PM
The number of people I've seen wish for a Tyrannotitan or some similar megatheropod known from scraps is depressing.

I agree, and two more like that are Siats and Deltadromeus.  Hatzegopteryx too.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 29, 2022, 10:35:13 AM
I want somebody to make a Maip figure

What's a Maip?

stargatedalek

Hatzegopteryx is a bit less warranted. It's not known from a lot of material, but what we do have shows a good deal of distinction from its closest relatives. Additionally, pterosaurs don't have a ton of "wiggle room" for general proportions, so it's relatively safe to infer the rest of its appearance, moreso than in comparable dinosaurs.

GojiraGuy1954

Fembrogon

I just heard about Maip myself today; apparently its description was JUST published this week:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-09272-z

It still looks fairly fragmentary to me, though.

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 29, 2022, 10:35:35 AM

A friend of mine from grad school is one of the authors on a description for a forthcoming new large carcharodontosaurid genus, and while yes, they are distinguishable by this or that slight proportion change or knobbly bit on a bone, even he agrees that they are all pretty much the same. I'm sure as soon as it's published the same bros clamoring for a Tyrannotitan will be clamoring for this one too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 01, 2022, 03:44:06 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 29, 2022, 10:35:35 AM

A friend of mine from grad school is one of the authors on a description for a forthcoming new large carcharodontosaurid genus, and while yes, they are distinguishable by this or that slight proportion change or knobbly bit on a bone, even he agrees that they are all pretty much the same. I'm sure as soon as it's published the same bros clamoring for a Tyrannotitan will be clamoring for this one too.

If it's known from decent remains, I don't see what's wrong with it.   :)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 01, 2022, 03:49:23 AM
I just heard about Maip myself today; apparently its description was JUST published this week:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-09272-z

It still looks fairly fragmentary to me, though.
It seems like one of the more complete Megaraptorans to me

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: