News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

IDK if it means anything about his succes but i did saw an advertisment for his Line ON YOUTUBE before a music Video.   

Not as a part a sposership with someone else, or as a early review sample,  i mean a legit ad before i had to hear the music i wanted while drawing one night.

Someone else knows about it and can back my claim

Edit.

Here is.

A Ad for the line in front of a random music vid

Flaffy

I'd personally prefer if BotM figures were static too, but I feel the need to emphasise that the main reason David even embarked on this journey to begin with is to fill the gap in the market of (scientifically accurate) dinosaur action figures. So I commend his efforts.

I do wish the factory could better replicate the original paint schemes though. While sometimes you get gems like the beatiful Gorgosaurus; other times the application is harsh, the colours and borders aren't blended well, and makes the figure look cheap and garish.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 25, 2024, 04:38:02 PMI suppose another big question to ask would be: now that David Silva has set a standard (three times over), how will other artists/companies improve on it?
Mattel's Amber and Hammond Collection models are basically IP budget equivalents, with similar articulation range but more stylization and less weight.
Nanmu is getting in on it with their raptor pair, for comparable size/price to the Deluxe raptors; the question will be if the articulation is at all improved.
I can't speak for the likes of Edel or Artic Figures.

I would even consider Edel or Artic in the same ballpark. David is mass producing figures, not quite at all on the scale of Mattel but he's still doing it.  Nanmu I'm cautiously optimistic. They have great detail and paint can they make it articulated? IDK yet. 

I'm curious if David is buying and looking at say the HC Carnotaurus and considering what he could do going forward. Reducing weight helps the figure stand and can improve shipping costs and maybe production time/cost?  They maybe more durable solid but  I don't think most of us drop them routinely.  I know a few of mine have fallen supports be darned. But if they weighed less they might not.  They could be more affordable too.

GojiraGuy1954

Edel and Artic aren't in the same ballpark because BoTM actually sends people the dinosaurs they pay for
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 26, 2024, 02:53:53 PMEdel and Artic aren't in the same ballpark because BoTM atually sends people the dinosaurs they pay for

There is that as well. I just didn't want to sidetrack into it when there is a whole thread on their scamming.  :-\

Sim

Kaiyodo doesn't need to include a Tyrannosaurus in each of their prehistoric sets.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Sim on January 26, 2024, 06:01:43 PMKaiyodo doesn't need to include a Tyrannosaurus in each of their prehistoric sets.

I agree so much! It is so frustrating that every set has one.

Eatmycar

I'm definitely one who prefers articulation to static, frankly.

However... the Tyrannosaur series was very weak and could've used more time in the oven. I also am a bit concerned for BoTM in that I think Hammond Collection (especially after that Carnotaurus) could easily eat into the side of the market that isn't dinosaur-obsessed nor accuracy concerned simply because of availability and, better poseability.

That Carnotaurus is an amazing figure for the price point, and let's be honest, many people who are just picking up a dinosaur or two here and there aren't going to sweat the small details.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 26, 2024, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 26, 2024, 06:01:43 PMKaiyodo doesn't need to include a Tyrannosaurus in each of their prehistoric sets.

I agree so much! It is so frustrating that every set has one.

Infuriating. When their output is so low, every slot is precious, and one is almost always wasted on Ty***nosaurus.

On the topic of BotM, I have a lot of respect for what they've done. I'm just not really an action figure guy. Still, I have about thirty BotM figures and more on the way, exceeding any other action figure company. They've definitely managed some serious crossover appeal: animals for action figure people and action figures for animal people.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Yikes, Kaiyodo's "Tyrannosaurus fee" is annoying.

When BotM is concerned, I'm also mainly a static figure collector, but sometimes I go for them regardless if I think a particular figure by them is noticeably superior to other existing versions on the market. And I usually wait until I start worrying about a Creative Beast figure's retirement to finally cave and buy it, to give time to other companies to put out a version worthy of saving me the effort of getting the (expensive and usually bigger than I'd like) BotM version.

That said, for small species, and as a result of the 1:18 scale they mostly work with, they totally have my preference though, regardless of articulations. Those species tend to be made at relatively large sizes by other companies, so in these cases, by getting the BotM versions instead, I would be saving some space, which is good. Not to mention the small 1:18 BotM figures are very high quality despite their size (despite eventual QC issues).

As to whether their articulations could be handled better or not, I can't really speak. Theirs are the only articulated figures I pay attention to, so I don't have a standard for reference. I tend to ignore their articulations and just treat them as static figures, so articulation quality is secondary to me.

Sim

I detest seeing the Takara Tomy articulated figures with those balls in the articulation.  They look terrible as far as I'm concerned and I don't know why anyone would want them.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2024, 09:34:09 PMI detest seeing the Takara Tomy articulated figures with those balls in the articulation.  They look terrible as far as I'm concerned and I don't know why anyone would want them.
I quite like the articulation and the ball joints allow for a lot of fun articulation in my opinion, particularly with the sauropods and plesiosaurs. What does bother me is usually the limitation of the points of articulation, as if they can only allow for a certain number of spots to pose

Sim

Well, I'm glad to see someone enjoys them, I guess I was only seeing it from my point of view.  I thought the articulation balls were too intrusive.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I don't even know why they appeal to me. Like I on one hand I would prefer a different style of articulation, and their figures are not the most accurate (or far from), but I still find them appealing in some way? That's also ignoring the Jurassic brainrot I have lol.

That said that mostly appeals to the Ania series of figures. Some like the ARTS Gacha sets have articulation but not in that way. Like the prehistoric marine creature sets (in which I have both sets, and the repainted set as well). In fact I dare say those are some of their best (I may be biased toward a particular inclusion in the one set, but seriously though).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I will not buy a Tyrannotitan figure, no matter how good it is, unless it gets based on new, better fossils that show what it looked like.

Takama

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2024, 07:34:48 PMI will not buy a Tyrannotitan figure, no matter how good it is, unless it gets based on new, better fossils that show what it looked like.

My words exactly

Nuff said

Sim

Is it me or are most Triceratops figures bland?  It feels like Triceratops is almost always included in prehistoric animal sets because "it's popular" but the figures tend to be boring, like diluted versions of the Triceratops from Jurassic Park.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2024, 10:20:40 PMWell, I'm glad to see someone enjoys them, I guess I was only seeing it from my point of view.  I thought the articulation balls were too intrusive.

I agree with the ball joints being intrusive, it's a terrible way to articulate a figure.

A simple GI Joe is done better, frankly, and Kenner did articulated dinosaurs better in the 1990s!

Also, I don't understand the weird limits with articulation they have. It seems all very arbitrary how they do things... and I'm not sure who they win over. The folks who loathe articulation certainly don't see it, and as someone who only collects articulated figures... they aren't winning me over with those two gargantuan balls in the tail.

And to boot, almost all of them are in a static T-pose like video game characters.

There must be something I'm missing here, but I'm happy for the folks who like this style of toy.

JimoAi

Been meaning to say this but...

I am dissatisfied with the focus on the 1/35 scale as I rather have actual 1:40 models especially for species that are 9 meters and above. This is coming from someone who collects marine life and 1:40 is where I started for larger animals and since alot of prehistoric models are in the 1/35, it makes it strangely large compared to my modern sea life especially since I want my largest figure to be a blue whale, in this case, the Papo Blue whale. At this point, the best tyrannosaurus for me will be the Pnso zhuchengtyrannus stand in as it's just right and since it's so fragmentary, it shall work as a Tyrannosaurus, barring the lack of lips which I am planning to sell my eofauna T rex due to the size and besides, it also helps with space which I am lacking

Halichoeres

Quote from: JimoAi on May 06, 2024, 03:31:28 PMBeen meaning to say this but...

I am dissatisfied with the focus on the 1/35 scale as I rather have actual 1:40 models especially for species that are 9 meters and above. This is coming from someone who collects marine life and 1:40 is where I started for larger animals and since alot of prehistoric models are in the 1/35, it makes it strangely large compared to my modern sea life especially since I want my largest figure to be a blue whale, in this case, the Papo Blue whale. At this point, the best tyrannosaurus for me will be the Pnso zhuchengtyrannus stand in as it's just right and since it's so fragmentary, it shall work as a Tyrannosaurus, barring the lack of lips which I am planning to sell my eofauna T rex due to the size and besides, it also helps with space which I am lacking

I'm a little dissatisfied with the focus on 1:35, but not for the same reason. To me it forecloses the possibility of some of the most morphologically interesting animals that have ever lived, which were too small to render satisfyingly in 1:35.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: