News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

I cant vote as I am not on any of these sites. I would have picked chasmosarus, zuniceratops, styracosaurus and avaceratops.

Also I would have loved to seen this 2nd batch based on different species of antelopes. Imagine ceratopsians with colors based on oryx, blackbuck, wildebeest, bongo, kudu, gazelle, sable, nyala, etc...horned animals inspiring the coloration of horned dinosaurs, and the colors wouldn't  be as crazy as the originals.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 18, 2022, 01:01:03 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 18, 2022, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 18, 2022, 12:40:09 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 18, 2022, 12:36:33 AM
The Chasmosaurus for me. It's the only one I'd actually buy.
I certainly wouldn't buy one based off something that is a slur.
And I wouldn't buy any huge Triceratops or Torosaurus either.
Come again? I'm confused.
Option C is a slur for a promiscuous person, usually a woman, in my country it is anyway.

Slag is a slur in Transformers media, too:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slag_(slang)
Although in more recent years they changed to Scrap:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scrap
Which was then toned down to Scrud

The colorscheme is however based on the character named Slag:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slag_(G1)
He more recently goes by Slug, after being named Snarl ( name of of one of his team mates ) during the late 2000s...

I'm however not sure that his color scheme is good for a Triceratops.  Maybe one of the later Triceratops TFs...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

I thought a TF color scheme would be interesting. Depending how it turned out I'd buy one.

I always thought Slag's name was fine, I knew even as a kid it referred to molten metal.
Quotenoun
stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore.
"the burning liquid iron was forming a scum of slag"

Guess it's like "Shrew" when they use it to refer to women, to me it's a small fuzzy rodent.  lol

Did anyone here receive a Triceratops with the broken feet issue David mentioned recently?  I haven't received word my order is even shipped yet.

DragonRider02

Quotenoun
stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore.
"the burning liquid iron was forming a scum of slag"
The character's name 'Slag' was, obviously, meant to refer to melted metal (perfect name for robotic, fire-breathing Triceratops!). Only later it turned out the term is used as slur in some places, so Hasbro changed his name to 'Slug' (basically they just changed one letter (the only exception was Animated series, where they recycled other character's name 'Snarl' for him)). So all modern Slag toys are officialy labeled as Slug, even ones meant to represent the original G1 character. But everyone in the TF fandom still always calls him Slag anyway.

I am very interested in seeing how Slag's colors could get reinterpretated to look natural on organic animal. He gets my vote and I hope he wins!

Also, I think Age Of Extinction Slag/Slug toy would be
fun coloration for a BOTM figure. We don't see purple dinosaur figures too often and I love the red markings on the frill and face.

The Last Knight repaint would work pretty well too. Maybe even better than G1 toy:

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Grimbeard

My choices:

A: Would make a nice, stark contrast to the REALLY flashy regular Styraco and I would really love for Davids Series to get all the recognition he deserves, already really looking forward to Part 4.

C: Total childhood bias. I owned the G2 version of Slag/Slug back when i was 6, but always like the G1 version more. I think the colors could actually work quite well.

G: I dont like the turquoise accents on the regular paint job and this would IMO greatly improve the model. Also, the dinosaurs in the WWD movie looked really great (unlike that god AWEFULL last-minutes dialogues.....)

J.: I think the Torosaurus has by far the worst paint scheme of all BoTM models, its way too uniformally blue. While the WWD is rather safe and unspectactacular, especially for BotM, i think its would do the sculpt a huge favor.

Lynx

A, F, and G for sure!
A because, well, let me be honest here, I'm too lazy to repaint my current Styracosaurus figure to look like the one from the short film!  ;)
F because The Isle was my entire childhood dinosaur game back then. I hope it gets enough votes!
G simply because I love the design from the WWD Movie, (though the movie itself was pretty bad dialogue-wise.)
I can't decide on a fourth, so that's it.

Dinosauria seems to be winning currently! I really hope I can get it.
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

Went for A, E, F and G.

A was a no brainer for me, and it looks to be widely popular among the votes. Then E, because I prefer that color scheme over the current one. And then F because to me, the Avaceratops had the ugliest color scheme of the whole series, and I prefer The Isle's pattern. And finally G, because as avatar_Lynx @Lynx pointed out, the designs for that movie really were top notch, specially for the time it was released.

I would have voted for J if they were to create a 1:35 version of the Torosaurus, which would have made a lot of sense if you have in mind the WWD Tyrannosaurus they're releasing that it's also at 1:35. But since there's not any indication of that, I wouldn't vote for something that's so clearly out of my price range.

Psittacoraptor

I voted E, F, G & H.

It's amazing how many people can't read (or count). So many are just voting for one or two options, or even asking if they can vote for more than one.

ceratopsian

Perhaps not always a question of not being able to read or count.  I seriously considered voting for only three, as a fourth simply didn't stand out for me in the same way.  In the end I found one, but it was a bit of a make-weight.  I doubt I would buy my fourth choice.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 19, 2022, 08:32:10 PM
I voted E, F, G & H.

It's amazing how many people can't read (or count). So many are just voting for one or two options, or even asking if they can vote for more than one.

Psittacoraptor

A, G & J seem to be the most popular so far.

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 19, 2022, 10:46:43 PM
Perhaps not always a question of not being able to read or count.  I seriously considered voting for only three, as a fourth simply didn't stand out for me in the same way.  In the end I found one, but it was a bit of a make-weight.  I doubt I would buy my fourth choice.
I understand that. :) I was referring mostly to comments where the person obviously did not bother to read David Silva's post. People only reading titles or headlines and then jumping to conclusions is very common on the internet. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I voted for 4 but the Chasmosaurus is the only one I would buybwhich is why I didn't mention the other ones I voted for.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Pliosaurking

CarnotaurusKing

I voted for A, F, I, and J.

A - it just looks nice and Dinosauria is a wonderful series

F - this was just to round out the four

I - the original Nasutoceratops' color scheme was one of my least favorite paintjobs in the entire Ceratopsian series

J - nostalgia, and the original was the worst paint scheme in the series IMO; if it gets made in "1/35" scale, I might buy it

Flaffy

Flaffy

Really happy that these ceratopsians will be receiving less "acid-trippy" colour schemes.

I expected Old Buck Styracosaurus to win, but was surprised by how big a margin it won by. I guess the reason behind this landslide victory would be the popularity of the character, and people wanting a less garish colour scheme for an equally popular ceratopsid genus.

WWD Torosaurus is something I've been asking for for a long time. Hopefully David will consider producing a 1/35 version in the future? But if that doesn't happen, I might just have to save enough money for this big boy. Was not a fan of the original paintjob, it makes CollectA's war-paint colour schemes look amateurish by comparison.

Very surprised that Scowler Pachyrhinosaurus landed a spot in the top 4. WWD3D was ubiquitously hated by paleo-enthusiasts and general movie goers alike. Most of the designs for the film are stunning though, so this could be some sort of metaphorical "redemption" for that mess of a movie. I wonder if fans will vote for a WWD3D-inspired Gorgosaurus too, considering the original colour scheme is already blue.

Not much to say about a snake-inspired Medusaceratops colour scheme, other than I wonder why this wasn't done in the first place considering it's name! Only time will tell if this turns out better or worse than the original.

Pliosaurking

I'm quite happy with the results and will probably pick up all 4 of them

Lynx

So glad Old Buck got 1st place! Probably the only ceratopsian I'll buy besides The Isle coloration if it is still planned.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on January 24, 2022, 07:16:43 PM
So glad Old Buck got 1st place! Probably the only ceratopsian I'll buy besides The Isle coloration if it is still planned.

The Avaceratops didn't win the poll.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: