News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

suspsy

Quote from: Faelrin on September 25, 2019, 02:59:10 PM
avatar_ZoPteryx @ZoPteryx Really good list there. I was familiar with some of these pairings but not all of them. I really hope those would be chosen, along with Tarbosaurus and maybe some others. I would certainly also like to see some tyrannosauroids like Dilong, Guanlong, and Yutyrannus.

I think the best tyrannosauroid candidates would be Appalachiasaurus, Dryptosaurus, Sinotyrannus, and Yutyrannus due to their large size, but CB could always upsize Dilong or Guanlong just like they did with Protoceratops.

And yay for the goal nearing completion!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Volgadraco

Does anobody know? Is subadult triceratops kickstrater exlusive or it will be later produced like other ceratopsians alongside adult trike?

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Volgadraco on September 25, 2019, 06:41:04 PM
Does anobody know? Is subadult triceratops kickstrater exlusive or it will be later produced like other ceratopsians alongside adult trike?

The only Kickstarter exclusive is the Monoclonius

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Silvanusaurus

I wasn't really interested in this campaign at all, as ceratopsians don't do much for me. Then I saw the Psittacosaurus and blimey o' riley!
After taking a proper look at the other revealed figures, I also do like the Monoclonius enough that I'm happy to pledge for it just to help unlock the Psittacosaurus, because I NEED that guy in my collection. I actually really love the intensely bright, flamboyant colours used on many of the figures.

Kileskus

Wonderful figures, but not my size. They are mostly too big, i prefer 1:35-40 scale, something like Doug's or Collecta ceratopsians. Very curious about smaller figures in line, maybe they can fit of more common scale?

amargasaurus cazaui

Depressing that clear up into the 300,00 thousands the stretch goals do not include anything radically different from the first few figures. The  psittacosaurus seems fairly priced at 45.00 and I am llikely to spring for that and the zuni and perhaps the sub adult trike, but honestly if he had kept his original ideas and done a few things like Udanoceratops, etc, I had planned on spending a lot more with him.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Flaffy

Has anyone noticed inaccuracies in these ceratopsian figures?

So far I've noticed Sinoceratops having notable inaccuracies with the head sculpt:

Sinoceratops:

- missing the knobs/protrusions on the top of it's frill.
- missing the lower portion of the orbital(?) protrusions.
- missing Epiparietal 1, the frill hornlet right between the top 2 curved hornlets not depicted on the figure.
- lower part of the frill looks folded/curved in too much

While Regaliceratops has more extreme protrusions around the eye, the it serves as a good example on on correctly done orbital(?) protrusions:

Vitae's Sinoceratops is less accurate overall compared to the BotM one, but it does feature the unique frill knobs, along with Ep1: (image credit to RobinGoodFellow)

Not including the knobs on the top of the frill is honestly a shame, as Sinoceratops is the only ceratopsian with this unique feature. Would've made him more distinct from the rest of the lineup.
I really hope David is willing to address these inaccuracies and make the sculpt more true to Raul Ramos' Sinoceratops skull.

Flaffy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 27, 2019, 07:52:49 AM
but honestly if he had kept his original ideas and done a few things like Udanoceratops, etc, I had planned on spending a lot more with him.

Same, wish he included at least a few of the planned 1/18 basal ceratopsians. Was really looking forward to Udanoceratops, Cerasinops, Prenoceratops and Montanoceratops.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: suspsy on September 25, 2019, 06:25:00 PM

I think the best tyrannosauroid candidates would be Appalachiasaurus, Dryptosaurus, Sinotyrannus, and Yutyrannus due to their large size, but CB could always upsize Dilong or Guanlong just like they did with Protoceratops.

If he did an Appalachi figure, that would be stellar.

tanystropheus

Great point, Flaffy.

Does he generally revise and update the models progressively with time? Perhaps, it is worth showing to him if the next update doesn't feature the frill structures and orbital protrusion.

Also, out of curiosity, why does JP have a Sino with massive holes in its frill? Is that representation based on any artistic depiction?

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stegosauria

Quote from: PumperKrickel on September 20, 2019, 11:48:03 AM
I really hope we´ll eventually get a stegosaur series, though.

I second that thought.

I don't know much about how the raptor campaign went but to my knowledge in backerkit people were able to pre-order raptor figures. This will be the same with the ceratopsians? And everybody can do this or just those who backed via KickStarter?

And I don't know if all stretch goal will be unlocked or not but an idea for both cases: quite a number of people was disappointed that the basal species were dropped from the campaign (at least for now) but those are many too (31 I think). There could be a vote to narrow a little this wide range and of course the unlocked species could be involved in the vote. 10 votes per person would be good I think. After that I don't know - a smaller campaign or a side project like the new colour variant raptors? (I know a few repaint isn't the same amount of work than doing new sculpts) Just an idea for later.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I would definitely suggest reaching out to him in some manner about this, unless you would want me too, if not someone else to relay the information on the kickstarter. While it is this early in the game, things can probably be adjusted (although perhaps in this figure's particular case, none of this will likely matter if the stretch goal is not unlocked).

What I do know is that there seems to be several different sculptors in this process, and the sculpts seem to start from the skulls, which are 3D printed, with detail filled in and over them. After digging for info, I saw that Simon Panek did the sculpting (and the skull was sculpted from Raul Ramos). The Regaliceratops you linked was also worked on by both of those artists.

Also has this handy size comparison image of the stretch goals been shared yet? Honestly I'm really relieved both the Diabloceratops and Regaliceratops are smaller and cheaper species (and yes I did see the prices for them earlier, as well as the sculpts now).

And speaking of the Diabloceratops, there's a new gallery update with it (with one such image shared below), which includes some size comparision's as well: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-ceratopsian-series-action-figures/posts/2636145

I have to say I am absolutely in love with how this one turned out, so I really hope the stretch goal for this is unlocked. I particularly like how striking those eyes are too.

Also we are less then $9,000 from this campaign/the first four figures being funded now. So close now!
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

so since no one really answered any of my noob questions let me ask again as I would like to try to pledge before the campaign is over but I want to make sure I can pay for it.

does Kickstarter accept Visa Vanilla gift cards, the ones you can buy at grocery stores?

do I have to get one of the rewards to get a stretch goal? If I just want a stretch goal figure can I change my reward to the stretch goal I want later when its unlocked so I only have to buy that one figure?

another thing I didn't ask about previously, what is the difference b/w the regular price and the "add on" price? for example the zuni says $25 and then below $27: add on? why are there two prices?

Halichoeres

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 27, 2019, 06:31:49 PM
so since no one really answered any of my noob questions let me ask again as I would like to try to pledge before the campaign is over but I want to make sure I can pay for it.

does Kickstarter accept Visa Vanilla gift cards, the ones you can buy at grocery stores?

do I have to get one of the rewards to get a stretch goal? If I just want a stretch goal figure can I change my reward to the stretch goal I want later when its unlocked so I only have to buy that one figure?

another thing I didn't ask about previously, what is the difference b/w the regular price and the "add on" price? for example the zuni says $25 and then below $27: add on? why are there two prices?

Yes, a prepaid Visa card should work fine. This is exactly the kind of situation they're made for.

Right now you can only pledge for something that has been unlocked. But once a stretch goal is unlocked, you can change your pledge for just that item.

Regular price is the price for pledging for that item alone. "Add-on" is for any item you want to include in your pledge, once you have pledged for a different item. You can only choose one pledge item at regular price.

Quote from: Kileskus on September 26, 2019, 09:26:13 PM
Wonderful figures, but not my size. They are mostly too big, i prefer 1:35-40 scale, something like Doug's or Collecta ceratopsians. Very curious about smaller figures in line, maybe they can fit of more common scale?

Everything in the line is either 1:18 or 1:6. I'd have preferred them smaller myself, but I'm not going to turn up my nose at good sculpts just because they're not my favorite scale.

Quote from: Flaffy on September 27, 2019, 09:48:06 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 27, 2019, 07:52:49 AM
but honestly if he had kept his original ideas and done a few things like Udanoceratops, etc, I had planned on spending a lot more with him.

Same, wish he included at least a few of the planned 1/18 basal ceratopsians. Was really looking forward to Udanoceratops, Cerasinops, Prenoceratops and Montanoceratops.

These were the ones I was most excited about when the line was first announced, but I suppose they're also the least amenable to parts-sharing. He thinks he might be able to make some of them down the line, but I'm not optimistic, to be perfectly honest.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2019, 01:44:11 PM
Does he generally revise and update the models progressively with time?

The only known cases of that happening was with the Zhenyuanlong head sculpt and Buitreraptor teeth.
I've contacted him before on other minor inaccuracies before on Medusaceratops's epiparietals (first few epiparietals too clustered, Ep3 wrong shape, Ep3 and 4 wrong position), but he hasn't seemed to revise or update the sculpt for the time being.

Maybe he'll do so in the future? But he seems to have his hands full atm; or that he's not too interested in taking the hassle to make the figures more accurate for what can be considered minor inaccuracies.

Also, out of curiosity, why does JP have a Sino with massive holes in its frill? Is that representation based on any artistic depiction?

Rumour has it that it was originally supposed to be a Pachyrhinosaurus. Pretty sure the artist ripped off took inspiration from the WWD3D Pachyrhinosaurus's frill injury, hence the single hole in the frill on the original design.
But film executives probably wanted to differentiate Sino from Trike; so them being uneducated as usual, decided to make the holes an anatomical feature rather than an injury.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: