News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures that shouldn’t be passed up.

Started by Ceratosaurus, June 09, 2018, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceratosaurus

Hello everyone. I've only been collecting about a year and although I currently have figures from 7 different companies, most of them are Papo and Rebor figures. Recently I purchased the Collecta Deluxe Parasaurolophus and Eofauna Steppe Mammoth and they are two of my favorites. I also own the PNSO Triceratops "Doyle" and Safari Pachyrhinosaurus. I'm looking for suggestions of figures that I may have missed out on due to getting into the hobby just recently. I'm most into figures that are of a larger scale (1:45 and larger). 100% accuracy isn't a must either and I do seem to lean to the highly detailed figures. What are some of your favorites. Figures that you couldn't not have in your collection. Maybe a figure that you bought with lower expectations and were unexpectedly surprised by.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Libraraptor

This would be an endless list.  And asking ten different people about must-haves,  you get at least eleven opinions... Find your own taste,  have a look at other collections and find your own personal must-haves, I'd suggest.

IrritatorRaji

I agree with Libraraptor. We all have different likes and dislikes, what may be a "must have" for some are a defo pass for others. Like, I do see people here on the forum gush about Kleinwelka, AAA, Battat, and Kaiyodo figures but I personally don't see the appeal for these figures. That's not to say that I think people who love them are weird, just that we all like different things. Even the Beasts Of The Mesozoic stuff. I ADORE those figures but I know people who hate them.

If you want my personal opinion though, my must-haves are:
- Kenner Red Rex
- Kenner Bull Rex
- Kenner Thrasher Rex
- Kenner Allosaurus
- Kenner Parasaurolophus
- Hasbro Allosaurus
- Hasbro Pachyrhinosaurus
- Any Mattel T.rex
- Mattel Baryonyx
- Any BotM figure
- Safari Feathered T.rex
- Safari Feathered Velociraptor
- Safari Carnegie Spinosaurus (2009)
- Papo Acrocanthosaurus (2018)
- Papo Therizinosaurus
- Papo Ceratosaurus
- I-Toy Ceratosaurus
- Procon / CollectA Irritator
- CollectA Ampelosaurus
- Takara Tomy Spinosaurus (Quadruped)
- Invicta T.rex
- Invicta Megalosaurus
- Invicta Baryonyx

Ceratosaurus

Thanx for your opinions. I like to browse through collections, looking for something I might like. Sometimes it's hard to tell the size of the figure or even who the figure is made by. Then you find a figure you like and it's way out of your price range or sold out. I like seeing lists like this as I may never have come across some of these figures otherwise. As for Beasts Of The Mesozoic, I don't normally like figures with too much articulation but I'm on the fence about picking one up. An even bigger issue would be convincing myself not to buy so many once the ceratopsians are released as I'm sure there'll be many and they aren't cheap.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Faelrin

To respond to the question in the title, I'd say get anything retired first and foremost if that's your thing (unless you are like me who puts things off for newer things). Or get things that are readily available that might not be so later on (like in the case of the BotM raptor figures and/or accessory packs, or PNSO, maybe Vitae), or get worse in production as time goes on (such as Papo figures). Of course it depends on what interests you. Not everybody likes or collects the same things after all.

For an example if you are into the Mattel JW stuff I'd highly recommend getting the Mosasaurus since no doubt that will be highly sought after once it's no longer readily available.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Yea i second the papo and vitae stuff. Save up for papo's newest figures because they suffer from quality loss eventually

Shonisaurus

In the case of dinosaur figures, my opinion, like other members of the forum not only of Papo but of other companies, is better than the ones taken "out of the oven", that is, freshly made.

Although for example I bought Rebor's utahraptor and it does not stand up correctly. Now the company has released an improved version of the figure that stands firm with the pins.

In relation to Collecta, the mapusaurus, concavenator, tyrannosaurus rex with prey (struthiomimus), liliensternus, ceratosaurus or irritator were first removed without a base, now more improved versions have emerged with base.

It depends on the company. Some companies make initial figures worse than the later (as happens with Rebor, Collecta or for example the former company Battat tyrannosaurus rex first version to give an example) and other companies such as Papo is better to buy them just out of the market. You also have to look at the "pirates or imitation figures, which tend to be worse both in material and quality of the figure".

tyrantqueen

I do recommend the BotM line, it's got nearly everything going for it (accuracy, quality, playability, etc). I would say that every dinosaur fan should pick up a figure. Unless you really hate accurate dinosaurs and/or articulated ones.

Also, the Battat Diplodocus. It's beautiful and worth a lot of money. Still waiting for Battat to reissue this guy :(

Ravonium

As Libraraptor said, the problem with topics like these is that you very rarely get a unanimous opinion on what is a 'figure that shouldn't be passed up'. I, for example, don't personally care for many of the suggestions people have posted here for a variety of reasons (even some of the ones suggested more than once).

In summary, I'd just buy whatever suits your tastes.

amargasaurus cazaui

Two figures I would consider worthy of nominating for this concept and why . I would suggest the Safari Nasutoceratops, as a nicely sculpted ceratopsian. A second figure released that year also is quite worth purchasing, the Sauropelta. If I remember correctly, the Sauropelta was chosen as a figure of the year by readers in the Prehistoric Times poll. Both figures show the results of quite thorough research on the sculpters part...the Nasutoceratops by Eric Lund and the Sauropelta by Ken Capenter.  Both figures are nicely done, represent seldom offered species, and are priced fairly.
   For my own collection I have stock versions of both animals. I also own a version repainted and based by Martin Garrat, for each and finally I also have a version of each signed by the respective paleo-figure given for each animal. I feel it fair to endorse and suggest a figure I own three each of . I also suggest the Sauropelta displays well with the Kaiyodo Dinotales smaller version as an adult and sub-adult. Kudos to Doug Watson for a powerhouse year in 2015, and a personal nod for some help with my signed versions.
    Finally as stated these are generally available for around 10-12 dollars apiece, a  bargain price for the level of quality seldom realized since the original Battat series
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

I suggest buying the tyrannosaurus rex from Battat the current non-articulated edition before it descatalogue said company that figure. It is one of the best in the market.

Syndicate Bias

Shane Foulkes' Giganotosaurus is a must have if you love giganotosaurus but its a resin kit

Huskies

For figures, I always keep an eye on non famous dinosaurs species because you never know if anyone will produce it again. Then again, I like those Chinese dinosaurs that PNSO made because they are unique species. Accuracy is not something that is a deal breaker for me. None of us know what dinosaurs look like in the real life anyway and too few complete fossils were found.
For model kits, I always like dioramas because they tell stories but price is always something that I consider, too.

Nimravus

As many people have already said, the must-haves depend only on your likes and dislikes. I may state that the best dino figurine that I have is the Rebor Utahraptor or the Vitae Sinoceratops (what it is not the case btw) and people will state otherwise.
I just collect based on what I like, and unfortunately ....space constraints! >:( I would love to have a palace with some spare rooms for cabinets!  ::) He he dreams!

Huskies

In addition to space constraint, the price is another factor. For me some figures are not worth the price some seller are asking for (especially on ebay).

PhilSauria

For my two cents worth - I'd have to come in with the personal taste opinion; the question here is too subjective. One person's 'must-have' can be another's 'it's okay, but...' If you like a figure (and can afford it and / or have the space) then buy it. Simple as that.

Ceratosaurus

In my defence when I made this topic I was really just looking for suggestions as I am new to collecting and I felt I wasn't familiar with some older figures. I was okay if multiple lists of different figures were brought up. I was just looking for a few consensus figures.

stegosauria

Ceratosaurus, it would be easier if we know what kind of dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures like if you have any preference. Even "the stranger is the better" opinion is a preference.

But I suggest you should check on the blog the Battat and Carnegie Collection pages among the top companies. Both of them contain great figures but Battat unfortunately started to retire its figures (just now the Amargasaurus and earlier the Cryolophosaurus and the Nanshiungosaurus). And yeah Safari retired the whole Carnegie Collection 3 years ago but now you can still find some Carnegie figures in different webstores like DeJankins, Dan's dinosaur, Urzeit shop, EverythingDinosaur or modellpherdeversand.de or even actual local shops if you are lucky.

Faelrin

Another suggestion came to mind. Have you ever just browsed the company or species categories on the blog (and toyanimalwiki is another good source) for things you might want to get? I feel like that's a good way to find out about figures and such (and the reviews can be helpful too).

I second the Carnegie and Battat figures if those interest you at all. Those are only going to get harder to find as years go on.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: stegosauria on June 13, 2018, 12:52:09 AM
Ceratosaurus, it would be easier if we know what kind of dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures like if you have any preference. Even "the stranger is the better" opinion is a preference.
I thought I kind of did when I started the topic. I own mostly Papo and Rebor figures. I also own Schleich, Collecta, Safari, PNSO and Eofauna but only 1-2 of each. My goal was really to see what others would mention and maybe branch out to a few other brands depending if I liked what I saw. I guess my philosophy when buying could be summed up by saying I like highly detailed, well painted figures. I enjoy when they are of good size and am not too worried about accuracy but it is a bonus. Lastly I like to have only one or acouple figures of each species. Rather than buying multiple figures I'd rather find that one figure I feel best represents the species in my eyes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: