News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New DinoToyBlog entries

Started by DinoToyForum, March 12, 2012, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indohyus

Gwangi

Marx Megatherium, my 200th review and my last review of a Marx toy.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2022/01/25/megatherium-marx/

Fembrogon

Congratulations on 200 reviews! I think you made a fitting choice of a toy to mark the occasion.

Duna

Quote from: Flaffy on January 17, 2022, 12:29:44 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 17, 2022, 03:57:31 AM
I've gone back and revised the section about the "hooves" in light of some crucial information that Thomas Holtz passed on to me today. It would appear that CollectA, along with a great many people, may have jumped the gun.  :-\

I was under the impression that the only reason the term "hoof" is commonly circulated is because it's a close enough analogy, rather than it representing the actual morphology of the forelimb itself. Like, a "hoof-like structure" is certainly easier to explain, and visualize for non-paleo savy people as opposed to explaining how weird the actual thing was. Similar case to the "hooved crocodiles" of Planocraniidae. Was not aware that the term "hoof" was taken rather literally.

Accurate(?)

vs

Innacurate

Re-examining the forelimbs of the figure, the nail doesn't cover the bottom of the digit completely. The fleshy weight bearing pad is still present. I think only the shape of the hoof itself is subject to debate as to whether it's accurate or not.

Digit 2 however has issues. It's supposed to look more flat and spade like, rather than a pointed conical spike/spur. I believe this misconception stems from the angle of most images of the Dakota specimen. Where only the edge of Digit 2 is captured, i.e. a profile shot. I don't think there are any good images of a "head-on" view of digit 2 available at the moment, though the first illustration posted above gives a decent approximation of it's actual shape when viewed in different angles.

I highly recommend this video of one of the best paleo experts in the world, it's in Spanish language, but it's an absolute gem. Hope you can enjoy it with the subtitles. His channel is pure gold in every single video.
This is all about hadrosaur's hands. He ranges everything from scientific evidence to fossils. Dakota's hand is discussed at 14:10. I've watched the video with the English automatic traslation subtitles and it's not bad. It fails to translate Dakota and uses some funny words in scientific names, mistakes helmet as hoof, but the rest is nice.
Basically he explains the same: that Dakota has a nail and not a hoove, and explains it perfectly. His reconstruction of the hoove at the end is very accurate.

The title of the video is:

Duckbills with horse hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b0VqnPD44&t=32s

Gwangi

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 25, 2022, 06:11:26 PM
Congratulations on 200 reviews! I think you made a fitting choice of a toy to mark the occasion.

Thank you, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon!

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lanthanotus

SidB

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 01, 2022, 01:32:44 PM
Another PNSO..... here comes Harvey
Thanks for another fine review, avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus. However you might want to correct the TYPO on the heading, which reads "Igunanodon" instead of Iguanodon, since this will result in the review being misfiled in the "Contents" section of the Blog.

Lanthanotus

suspsy

Lanthanotus

indohyus

Time to journey back and see the horned reptile of the Triassic, Shringasaurus by Jurassic World.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2022/02/05/shringasaurus-jurassic-world-dino-escape-wild-pack/

suspsy

Quote from: indohyus on February 05, 2022, 06:00:18 PM
Time to journey back and see the horned reptile of the Triassic, Shringasaurus by Jurassic World.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2022/02/05/shringasaurus-jurassic-world-dino-escape-wild-pack/

Good review, avatar_indohyus @indohyus. Can you also tag it with 'Mattel,' please?

indohyus

Bokisaurus

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you as I always do. You make a correct product review and match it with data on the species of prehistoric animal in this case tylosaurus, framing it in its geological time scientifically speaking. Nice to read your writings.

Gwangi

Fembrogon

Ooh, neat! That's the one Nabisco mammal I have, too. They're quite the charming little figurines!

suspsy

Fembrogon

One more on the way for these Sinclair reviews; I had fun writing these.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: