News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

In or Out? Figures in boxes

Started by Cretaceous Crab, July 28, 2018, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer to keep your figures in their original packaging or not?

Keep it in the box
1 (2.6%)
Display it out of the box
30 (78.9%)
Both (Depends on the figure)
7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Cretaceous Crab

I was thinking about this the other day. This poll is only intended for figures which you have in your personal collection. It does not include figures you plan to resell, give away, or use for a custom project. Only completed figures.

I prefer all mine out of the box. Just looks better than a box IMHO. If it falls within the toy category, I just feel that toys are still meant to be played with.  I'm fortunate that my son is pretty good with his toys, and doesn't play rough with them, so we often play together with some of mine as well. He already refers to some of his Papo figures and new JWFK toys as "his collectibles" [he's only 7!].

Now if the packaging has some kind of diorama display or cut-out that goes with the figure, I'll display that with the figure. But that's rare (since most of mine are not bought firsthand from retailers).

CityRaptor

Well, I generally unpack them, unless, as you say, the packaging is some sort of diorama or I plan to not keep them.  So yes, FREE THE DINOSAURS!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Not only do mine leave the boxes but the boxes end up in the burn pile as well. I might regret it someday for some figures but I'm not a hoarder and have no space for that sort of clutter.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely keep dinosaur boxes and wrappings even though I expose them to the public for two simple reasons. Someday for reasons of space I will have to store them and to avoid breakages and abrasions the best thing is the carefully saved packing material.

Also if I have to give them away or like to sell them for reasons of economic nature at the time of generating better profits for example in the eBay market I prefer to keep the packaging.

I value the perfect conservation and presentation of the figures are for me two data that I take very much into account.

MLMjp

I usually take my figures out of their boxes and display them out of the boxes. I just need to see the whole figure, to feel it in my hands.
However for some reason I have yet to take most of my Battat figures out of their boxes, those are the only ones that I display inside their boxes.

postsaurischian

Out! Always out!
How else could I be able to fully enjoy a figure and take pictures of it?

Shonisaurus

I have the figures unpacked, but I keep all the boxes I like to have the figures visible. But for example the nests with dinosaur eggs of Rebor and the figures of velociraptor coming out of the nest of Rebor (different versions of colors) obviously remain in the boxes independently that I look at them periodically to enjoy their figures.

One reason I have to have those two boxes with the figures inside is for a reason, they have loose parts and they could get lost. That is one of the mistakes that Rebor has that often produces figures of prehistoric animals (for me a magnificent company) but with bases or detachable figures such as dinosaur nests and velociraptor (different versions of paint).

If the eggs with nests and the velociraptors coming out of the egg were on fixed supports or for example joined with pins. I would have just saved the boxes and exposed the figures. That is one reason why sometimes you have to save the figures with all the packing elements.

Ravonium

I always remove any extra packaging, and it nearly always ends up in the bin (the only non-figure items I collect are those 'manuals' you get with Japanese figures).

Libraraptor

Mostly display it out of the box.

ceratopsian

I always take them out of their boxes because I want to enjoy displaying them unobstructed by any packaging.  And I like to see all sides of my new dinosaur and feel the texture, shape and weight.  I keep boxes, partly because they often have lovely artwork, but also in case the beast ever needs to go to a new home.  I also keep any plastic supports intended to keep the dinosaur unwarped in transit, just in case it warps on display and needs help.

Nimravus

Always out of the box, I keep them anyway if I want to sell them later

Faelrin

I usually have all of my figures out of the packaging, but there are a few I keep in it for display purposes, such as my Skyrim funko pops. I usually try to retain my packaging if I have any need to refer to it again, or store, or choose to display it in it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I am an inveterate package-opener. I keep tags and inserts most of the time, and occasionally I'll keep boxes, especially for higher-end models that benefit from custom cushioning. The only figure in my collection that I've never opened is the Inyector "Real Dinosaurs" Centrosaurus sculpted by Máximo Salas. It was released in the early 1990s and I got it only a couple of years ago. I would have felt somehow guilty to be the one to open it after 25 years mint in package.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

I follow Halichoeres' lead. All mine are out. I keep papers and cards but not packaging. If the figures are not displayed, they are in small boxes or drawers. My collection is organized taxonomically.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2018, 02:12:33 AM
I am an inveterate package-opener. I keep tags and inserts most of the time, and occasionally I'll keep boxes, especially for higher-end models that benefit from custom cushioning. The only figure in my collection that I've never opened is the Inyector "Real Dinosaurs" Centrosaurus sculpted by Máximo Salas. It was released in the early 1990s and I got it only a couple of years ago. I would have felt somehow guilty to be the one to open it after 25 years mint in package.

That's one reason I deliberately try not to buy MIB stuff. That and the cost of course. But I couldn't take something out of the box that's been in there that long, a moral dilemma I can't come to terms with.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on August 02, 2018, 02:31:13 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2018, 02:12:33 AM

That's one reason I deliberately try not to buy MIB stuff. That and the cost of course. But I couldn't take something out of the box that's been in there that long, a moral dilemma I can't come to terms with.

Yeah, I usually avoid MIB stuff too, but it was hard to find that figure in any condition. I've actually still never seen one loose.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I still like to be able to pick up and handle my figures from time to time, so I open absolutely everything. I usually keep tags and sometimes I keep boxes if they're particularly nice, but the real limiting factor there is if the box is actually designed to be opened without being destroyed. That is why I have most of the boxes for my anime products, but not for example any Mattel JW boxes, since they are destroyed on opening.

amargasaurus cazaui

This is an interesting topic...the collector in me tends to work towards always preserving everything as purchased and as mint as possible........except my dinosaurs. I tend to open and display it all without regard...cause.  Way I see it keeping it sealed or boxed is a step to protect its value. I have resigned myself my dinosaurs are absoloutely worthless.....because pretty much no matter what they are worth I wont sell them...worthless or priceless, it doesn't enter into the argument cause I will most likely die with them anyways. If it comes to selling them , I imagine I wont be in much condition to argue the point anyways so....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

random_dinofan

It depends for me. I mostly take everything out of the box unless the package is some sort of diorama or looks really good. I still keep most of the boxes though.

CityRaptor

Just remebered a kind of figure I usually keep in packaging: Toob figures. But that has to do with the fact that I currently only have limited possibilities to display small figures, and those are in use. Still open the toobs, however.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: