News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on August 04, 2018, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 04, 2018, 12:51:50 PM
I like the Camarasaurus. As for the others, I guess I am really am picky, because for me, they're nice, but not mindblowing. I'm not understanding the reaction from everyone :-\

Reaction is the forum's usual for any new Safari, total praise, nothing new. To be honest I'm not crazy for the Carnotaurus, it looked nice in the unboxing video but the review already revealed the first cracks, i.e. Safari poor rendition of original sculpts. Camarasaurus is ok but I don't like the skin texture at all, plus the colour scheme is not the best. The Citipati is nicer than the Anzu, it's fluffier and more believable as an actual animal, but again colours could be better. The Prestosuchus is an improvement over the Postosuchus, but I wish they used the same crocodilian palette rather than replicate the Acrocanthosaurus colours, albeit in a slightly more complex pattern. The rhino looks a bit cartoony to me, definitely not on par with the Papo interpretation. The Styracosaurus is the only one that's very interesting so far, the paint app looks well executed and subtle for a Safari product, although I'd rather have it repainted if I'd ever get it. Doug's forte have always been ceratopsians, seems like this year he pulled out his best to date. I think this plus the Triceratops, Regaliceratops, Einiosaurus and maybe Pachyrhinosaurus too, would make a great display together. Of course a makeover by a professional like Martin Garratt would bring out all the detail that gets lost in the mass production process.

That's untrue (though I'm sure avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson and the other Safari Ltd sculptors wishes it was! ). So, please don't make provocative proclamations like that. Thanks.  C:-)

Faelrin

So I watched Spinodude's review and I agree with him on many of his points on the Carnotaurus (such as a little bit more thickness in the tail, it's similar to the Mattel one, maybe a tiny bit thicker, and the hands and feet being a little bit oversized, but I understand the feet is for balance, and the hands would probably break if any smaller). I'm surprised at the size of it, but I don't think it is quite a bad thing for me. It's not like there are any figures of any creatures that lived with Carnotaurus that would probably need a specific scale. Unless one wanted it in the same scale as other theropods. I do have to praise it for the lips, no shrinkwrapping on the head and body, the fingers are clawless and properly positioned, and it does not have the bird like scales on its feet theropods are almost always depicted with. I already mentioned before that I like the color scheme and the texturing is really good.

On the point of there being so many ceratopsids, I would like to see more hadrosaurids in the future. Doug, you've done a really good job with the Gryposaurus and Parasaurolophus. I'd be interested in seeing more from you. I mean hopefully we get a Corythosaurus or a Lambeosuarus down the road, or even a new Edmontosaurus (the one with the tiny crest). I suppose the only issue preventing companies from usually offering these is because children probably find them boring, even if us collectors would eat them up, we can't compare to parents choosing what to buy for their kids.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

Feet are too big but I prefer that to a base honestly. Also the lower legs are thicker and that helps diluting the effect of the feet size. And about how big it is I actually like it and of you take the higher estimates of length I think it would fit with most large theropod toys. Of course it won't fit with Safari Acro and Carcha because those are on smaller scales, I wish they could be reissued but it's early for that, specially for Carcha. Of Safari's Acro was 1:35 it would be my favorite figure of that species. The big hand were made like that probably to avoid breakage and to have more defined individual fingers, it's a little point against it but nothing too bad, so far the positives outweigh the negatives, I'll give it a 9/10 for now.

I've always liked the look of Papo's Carno but hated the pose, I don't care for super crysp ultra realistic details (as long as it has some nice scale detail and nice wrinkles I'm fine) nor for the paintjobs (again as long as I like the color palette and pattern I'm good with it) so just for being in a pose that I prefer, this Safari Carno  wins over the Papo one.

I hope they find a way to protect the spikes of Styracosaurus when shipping so they won't bent too much, it's such a nice sculpt, I want mine to arrive perfectly  :D

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow, Safari looks to have some really nicely done models next year!

I think the Carnotaurus, Prestosuchus, and Camarasaurus are my favorites so far. Presto will look good next to the Kaprosuchus!

I wish the Styracosaurus was more in scale with the rest of the Wild Safari ceratopsians. I don't get why that isn't a priority (also turns me off slightly to the Regaliceratops). It otherwise looks very good, but for that simple reason my old Battat will remain my top figure for Styracosaurus.

Concavenator

avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus ,could you please post some comparision pics of the Citipati with the Anzu? I would like to see how these two look together  :)

Jose S.M.

I would love to see Styraco and Triceratops together too, I don't remember if Kayakasaurus owns the trike.

I don't know why Spinodude said the Carnotaurus dwarfs the Giganotosaurus, he said Carno is about 27 cm long, Giga is 10cm longer easily, maybe they are similar in height, the head of the Carno look in a more upright position than Giga's head (it's almost in the same line that it's back)

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: suspsy on August 04, 2018, 01:32:36 PM
So is that the lot for preview toys, or did the entire assortment get sent out to lucky folks?

I'm told there's quite a bit more to come but they might be revealed in a different way.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 04, 2018, 04:49:45 PM
I would love to see Styraco and Triceratops together too, I don't remember if Kayakasaurus owns the trike.

I don't know why Spinodude said the Carnotaurus dwarfs the Giganotosaurus, he said Carno is about 27 cm long, Giga is 10cm longer easily, maybe they are similar in height, the head of the Carno look in a more upright position than Giga's head (it's almost in the same line that it's back)

I compare it to the trike at 5:52 in the video  :) I'll take some new pics soon

Jose S.M.

Oh that's true! I don't know why I forgot about the trike comparison,only remembered the one versus the Pachyrhinosaurus hehe, my bad.

Andreioli

Silly question, but do you guys think that the Citipati could pass for a 1:45-ish Gigantoraptor ?  :o
I've always wanted a huge Gigantoraptor, but nobody wants to make one  :(

Kayakasaurus

All of the Safari Ceratopsians except for the diablo and with the Regali customized. The Nasuto is one of my favorites

Faelrin

avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus So my haunch was right (from after watching the video), that it is slightly bigger then the Regaliceratops (is the only ceratopsian I have currently other then the 2018 and 2010? Triceratops). I think it is at a good size (on its own, and maybe with the Triceratops). Anyways, thanks for posting these comparison pics, and I really like that repaint you've done of the Regaliceratops (to make it match the Csotonyi painting).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

Thanks for the comparisons! I like the red on the frill, it will stand out against  other Safari ceratopsians. Nasuto is in my top 2 so far with the Triceratops, that maybe will change when I get this Styraco in hand.

Ceratopsids are so vaired in size that I think Styraco might be close in scale to the smaller species Safari has made like Vagaceratops and Einiosaurus.

suspsy

I really hope Safari gives us more tyrannosaurs to eat all these yummy ceratopsians. Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Tarbosaurus, take your pick.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Cephalopod

I think its a regaliceratops?
Ink ink ink, cephalopods don't stink... so does their ink. I think.

John

Quote from: suspsy on August 04, 2018, 07:29:48 PM
I really hope Safari gives us more tyrannosaurs to eat all these yummy ceratopsians. Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Tarbosaurus, take your pick.
Yes,we already have Tyrannosaurus for Triceratops to gore to death,we can also have Gorgosaurus,Albertosaurus or Daspletosaurus for the Styracosaurus to gore to death too! >:D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on August 04, 2018, 03:07:25 PM

With regards to what you said: "I think everyone wins."  Well, I can tell you that wasn't true for me with the 2018 WS line-up.  Though I'm happy that the WS line is still representing a lot of different kinds of animals, even if I don't want the figures.

I understand what you are saying. Assuming that we have the same number of models as 2017, the 2018 line-up is far from done. So, I hope everyone will end up happy. I could be wrong but I think WS is focusing on bringing back all the classics of the Carnegie line out into the wild. That's why we got a Styracosaurus and not a Medusaceratops . If my theory is correct, we should be getting the following models between 2018-2020:

Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Pteranodon, Spinosaurus, Maisaura, Saltasaurus, Baryonyx, Beipiaosaurus, Caudipteryx, Dilong, Oviraptor, Miragaia, Deinonychus, Protoceratops, Corythosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Plateosaurus, Deinosuchus, Tanystropheus, Deltadromeus, Sinraptor, Albertosaurus, Icthyosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Brachiosaurus and Smilodon

SidB

If so, it's a good line-up for classics affectionados like myself.

Lizerd

Now the real question is now what could be next?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 04, 2018, 09:56:45 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 04, 2018, 03:07:25 PM

With regards to what you said: "I think everyone wins."  Well, I can tell you that wasn't true for me with the 2018 WS line-up.  Though I'm happy that the WS line is still representing a lot of different kinds of animals, even if I don't want the figures.

I understand what you are saying. Assuming that we have the same number of models as 2017, the 2018 line-up is far from done. So, I hope everyone will end up happy. I could be wrong but I think WS is focusing on bringing back all the classics of the Carnegie line out into the wild. That's why we got a Styracosaurus and not a Medusaceratops . If my theory is correct, we should be getting the following models between 2018-2020:

Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Pteranodon, Spinosaurus, Maisaura, Saltasaurus, Baryonyx, Beipiaosaurus, Caudipteryx, Dilong, Oviraptor, Miragaia, Deinonychus, Protoceratops, Corythosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Plateosaurus, Deinosuchus, Tanystropheus, Deltadromeus, Sinraptor, Albertosaurus, Icthyosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Brachiosaurus and Smilodon
I don't think a Spinosaurus will come so soon given to the current situation (it's not reallt clear how it looked).
Aside,I think they chose Citipati over than resculpting the Oviraptor.

I also think Wild Safari is resculpting the species from the Carnegie Collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: