News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I haven't been following this thread very closely- has a large picture of the Camara been shown? I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the old Carnegie :)

Customising the Allosaurus by replacing the claws might also be a fun project >:D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sauropelta on September 30, 2018, 04:10:53 PM
Which version of stegosaurus is the 2019 toy based on? Looks like stenops to me.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Stegosaurus_armatus_scale.png

Yeah, it's stenops, specifically the "Sophie" specimen.

Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2018, 04:41:57 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 15, 2018, 01:40:04 AM
Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
I think it's the Carnotaurus's tail.  I'm curious about the figure that has its eye looking through the box, it looks like a feathered animal.

To me that eye belongs to and eagle.

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. it's funny that it turned out to be a dragon: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/freedom-dragon

Just when I thought the steampunk dragon was the silliest figure of the year, BAM, freedom dragon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Out of respect for this forum's rule against political discussion, I shall limit myself to simply stating that I am disappointed in Safari for making something as tasteless and tacky as that "freedom dragon." But don't let my contempt stop you from buying it if that's what tickles your fancy.

On a positive note, I'm liking that Spinosaurus more and more. Regardless of whether or not they are ultimately accurate, all of Doug's sculpts are true masterpieces. I think the 2019 line is a decent balance between new species and much-needed updates. I hope we see new versions of Dilophosaurus, Gorgosaurus, and Hypacrosaurus someday.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Brocc21

Quote from: suspsy on September 30, 2018, 07:03:43 PM
Out of respect for this forum's rule against political discussion, I shall limit myself to simply stating that I am disappointed in Safari for making something as tasteless and tacky as that "freedom dragon." But don't let my contempt stop you from buying it if that's what tickles your fancy.

On a positive note, I'm liking that Spinosaurus more and more. Regardless of whether or not they are ultimately accurate, all of Doug's sculpts are true masterpieces. I think the 2019 line is a decent balance between new species and much-needed updates. I hope we see new versions of Dilophosaurus, Gorgosaurus, and Hypacrosaurus someday.

What's wrong with the freedom dragon. It's a dragon designed after a bald eagle, witch is the American symbol, so freedom dragon. It's a good looking model. It's not being stereotypical or nationalist. I don't think the description they give it is offensive. I think it's kind of funny. How exactly is it tasteless? Not trying to start a heated debate, just wondering.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Concavenator

As happens every year, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson , could you please post pics of the original sculpts? :)

I just love the Allosaurus .Finally my favorite dinosaur gets the sculpt it deserves after so many years.Sadly, it's a species that is easily overlooked and I don't understand it since it's one of the best understood theropods as well asbeing recognized as "one of the classics"

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 30, 2018, 07:16:15 PM
What's wrong with the freedom dragon. It's a dragon designed after a bald eagle, witch is the American symbol, so freedom dragon. It's a good looking model. It's not being stereotypical or nationalist. I don't think the description they give it is offensive. I think it's kind of funny. How exactly is it tasteless? Not trying to start a heated debate, just wondering.

I agree, I also thought it was quite funny. I mean, CollectA gave us a Daspletosaurus that unintentionally, yet humorously, resembled the Union Jack, so yeah, so problem with a Freedom Dragon here. Also not trying to start a political debate, just unsure why the Freedom Dragon was suddenly being criticised.

Quote from: Concavenator on September 30, 2018, 07:40:27 PM

I just love the Allosaurus .Finally my favorite dinosaur gets the sculpt it deserves after so many years.Sadly, it's a species that is easily overlooked and I don't understand it since it's one of the best understood theropods as well asbeing recognized as "one of the classics"

Same, it's so nice to see Allosaurus finally get a truly beautiful model made (that doesn't cost a few hundred bucks). It's so often regarded as that theropod that 'isn't T.rex', so seeing it get some love it always welcomed!

Ravonium

As much as I disagree that it is in bad taste, the figure itself has some minor issues; the color scheme is pretty bland, and this combined with the frequent use of straight, pointy shapes (which I don't think are an issue on their own, but would be better confined to a certain part of the dragon) makes it feel too much like a machine, rather than an animal. Also, there's already a mythical animal based partially on a bird of prey (the Griffin), so there's not much need to make it a dragon. This being said, it is sculpted well, and the eagle head is incorporated well.

I would also like to point out that the description is written in a way vague enough that it can be interpreted as putting some of the joke on the US (e.g. "Though its appearance can make it seem stern and uncaring..." and "...those who attempt to earn its trust must be wary of any wrongdoings that may put them on the wrong side of the Freedom Dragon's claw"), and that is one of the main reasons I find the description funny; it seems 'patriotic', yet also self aware at the same time.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on September 30, 2018, 07:03:43 PM

Personally, I don't think it's tasteless...but it's too plain to be considered "tacky" to me.  Maybe they didn't want to go to "on the nose", but come on.  If you're going to make a dragon based on American symbolism here, don't go for half measures.  Unless that's part of the joke since we Americans often do things half-***ed.

On the other hand, those wings would make this a great candidate for a repaint and resculpt of the head to make a D&D style Brass Dragon.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Brocc21

Quote from: Ravonium on September 30, 2018, 08:01:59 PM

As much as I disagree that it is in bad taste, the figure itself has some minor issues; the color scheme is pretty bland, and this combined with the frequent use of straight, pointy shapes (which I don't think are an issue on their own, but would be better confined to a certain part of the dragon) makes it feel too much like a machine, rather than an animal. Also, there's already a mythical animal based partially on a bird of prey (the Griffin), so there's not much need to make it a dragon. This being said, it is sculpted well, and the eagle head is incorporated well.

I would also like to point out that the description is written in a way vague enough that it  can be interpreted as putting some of the joke on the US (e.g. "Though its appearance can make it seem stern and uncaring..." and "...those who attempt to earn its trust must be wary of any wrongdoings that may put them on the wrong side of the Freedom Dragon's claw").
I don't think the description is vague to the point of being a joke. I think its a nice sounding description if that makes any since

Ravonium

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 30, 2018, 08:15:06 PM
I don't think the description is vague to the point of being a joke. I think its a nice sounding description if that makes any since

I agree they probably had that intention in mind when writing the description, but it does match some stereotypical personality descriptions of America closely enough that there is room for interpretation of it in a joking manner.

I think this is around the point I'll shut up  :P

Brocc21

Quote from: Ravonium on September 30, 2018, 08:21:01 PM
Quote from: Brocc21 on September 30, 2018, 08:15:06 PM

I agree they probably had that intention in mind when writing the description, but it does match some stereotypical personality descriptions of America closely enough that there is room for interpretation of it in a joking manner.

I think this is around the point I'll shut up  :P
Yeah this is probably my last comment on the issue. And in all honesty the problems with the figure you pointed out are correct, but I just think its cool looking.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on September 30, 2018, 07:40:27 PM
As happens every year, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson , could you please post pics of the original sculpts? :)

Yes I have already mentioned that I will do that when I get a chance. Real busy right now. :)

Doug Watson

Personally I don't find anything wrong with the Freedom Dragon and I don't think the description is supposed to be a joke, and no I didn't do it. I find here in Canada a lot of people are put off by American flag waving and patriotism. Me personally I wish we had more of that up here with our own citizens.

stargatedalek

I love the sculpt of the freedom dragon. I personally find the griffin to be rather ugly, though that is perhaps in keeping with the source material, so I have absolutely no problem with more bird themed mythical creatures. Besides, there are already so many dragons that take influences from mammals with their goat or sheep horns, it's hardly fair to say "no more birds allowed".

I think most of the Safari dragons are held back by appealing to "traditional fantasy" designs, the mammalian horns, the unnatural proportions, and the snarling canine mouths are all very tied to this specific aesthetic.

The alternative where they go for more varied designs but make them "cutesy" to a degree where they are stylized beyond realism isn't any better for me.

There aren't very many "science fantasy" mythical creatures from Safari, so I am very excited for this one. The design is significantly more naturalistic, more like a rendition of a fictional animal as opposed to a rendition of a drawing from the 14th century.

I will agree though that the colour scheme is corny. I certainly wouldn't call it tasteless, as this implies it is something worthy of offending people, but tacky may not be particularly far off the mark as it definitely feels uninspired or cheap.

Why not just paint it with colours resembling a bald eagle? This would be significantly more visually interesting than a few coloured lines. Even blank white may have been preferable, as the coloured lines are just enough to push it into eye roll territory. The idea has gotten old by the time the coloured lines show up.

I think the description is rather cute and funny. It's possible to make self-aware humor without devaluing reality, and I think it does that well. These are all common tropes about the United States, hardly a political statement.

Faelrin

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Hey do you know what's going on with the Allosurus color scheme? There's a bit of a difference between the left and right side, and I'm just wondering if it is intentional that they do not match?

Also is there way to ask Safari Ltd about the price on the new Stegosaurus (being as expensive as the Spinosaurus, but smaller then the Camarasaurus)?

Edit: Just saw on the last page of this thread the release schedule for the figures from Dan's Dinosaurs. At least I'll be able to order the first batch I planned on (Carnotaurus, Woolly Rhino, and Styracosaurus), minus the Pteranodon (assuming they are early or mid October, not late).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brocc21

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Did you sculpt the bigfoot? It's a very nice figure coming from some one who has always ben intrigued by such a creature. And if so do you believe it exits?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Faelrin on September 30, 2018, 08:57:42 PM

Also is there way to ask Safari Ltd about the price on the new Stegosaurus (being as expensive as the Spinosaurus, but smaller then the Camarasaurus)?

They have answered to me on Facebook  before very quickly. I still want to think it's a mistake. I find no reason for it to be that price. I thought it would be priced like the Triceratops, they are almost the same size, someone said that maybe the plates added complexity to the manufacturing but I don't think it justify the price.

Sim

Regarding the price of the Stegosaurus, I noticed that out the 2018 Safari figures the Anzu has the same price as the Triceratops and Regaliceratops even though it's smaller than them.  Perhaps it's because the Anzu has a more complex paintjob and/or it's more expensive to produce due to its anatomy?  Something like this might be the case with the 2019 Stegosaurus as well. What I'm quite surprised by is the Triceratops and Regaliceratops having the same price, since their anatomy is so similar yet the Triceratops is considerably larger than the Regaliceratops.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Dan on September 30, 2018, 04:42:58 PM

What!!!! They're being released so early! Is this normal to have the 2019 figures appear for sale before 2019?

Takama

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 30, 2018, 11:57:25 PM
Quote from: Dan on September 30, 2018, 04:42:58 PM

What!!!! They're being released so early! Is this normal to have the 2019 figures appear for sale before 2019?

Safari has done this for the past couple years or so.

So yes, this is normal for safari

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: