News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cryptozoology

Started by Gwangi, August 10, 2018, 05:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Off-topic discussion about Cryptozoology and cryptid toys split from the Safari Ltd - New for 2018 thread - Admin  C:-)

As far as I'm concerned that sasquatch is a must have. Would love a whole line of cryptids from Safari. Think of the fun diorama potential!

Ravonium

Good to see the video reveals aren't over yet (although I don't think there'll be more dinosaur reveals in a video). While I'm not particularly excited for either figure (although I might get the Sasquatch/Bigfoot), I'm excited to see what cryptids they'll make in the future.

tanystropheus

I am getting that Sasquatch! So is Denver Riggleman  >:D

Faelrin

It might not be prehistoric, but I dig the fantasy creatures they have put out so far. I like the design of that dragon. Pretty cool that they made one representing the planet. The Sasquatch is pretty cool too. I like how it's in the pose from the 'bigfoot' in that iconic video. I'm excited to see more of their fantasy stuff, since I've got a collection of that assembled. I'd love to see their take on a cockatrice.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't really collect fantasy figures but the bigfoot is definitely on my list for next year! It'll go nicely with their gargoyle and werewolf for Halloween. I agree it would be nice to see a few more cryptids. A yeti or jackalope would be cool.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 10, 2018, 04:08:01 PM
I don't really collect fantasy figures but the bigfoot is definitely on my list for next year! It'll go nicely with their gargoyle and werewolf for Halloween. I agree it would be nice to see a few more cryptids. A yeti or jackalope would be cool.

Don't stop there! The Jersey Devil, Flatwood's monster, Mongolian deathworm, Mothman, Loveland frog, Dover demon, Chupacabra (the original one, not the mange infested coyote kind). So many possibilities!

Jose S.M.

If they make a Chupacabra i will get it definitely. That thing was huge news here in Costa Rica, there was "sightings" and "attacks" every week   :)) I was like ten when it became popular and I used to be scared of it.

Faelrin

The Jersey Devil and Chupacabra are some of my favorites. I would totally get those if they made them. The Mongolian deathworm is another one I like too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on August 10, 2018, 05:38:02 PM

Don't stop there! The Jersey Devil, Flatwood's monster, Mongolian deathworm, Mothman, Loveland frog, Dover demon, Chupacabra (the original one, not the mange infested coyote kind). So many possibilities!

I think you and I read a lot of the same books growing up. Don't forget about Spring-Heeled Jack and the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblin.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on August 10, 2018, 06:29:55 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 10, 2018, 05:38:02 PM

I think you and I read a lot of the same books growing up. Don't forget about Spring-Heeled Jack and the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblin.

Absolutely the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblin, I made one of those on the computer game Spore back when that was popular. I was very into cryptozoology when I was younger. Grew up watching Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World/Universe and yeah, reading a lot of books too. I don't put much stock in cryptids these days, a healthy skeptic at this point. Still, I enjoy reading the books, mostly written by fellow skeptics. And I've been a long time listener to the Monster Talk podcast which you should definitely check out if you haven't. I enjoy the stories, folklore, and legends about our modern-day monsters, even if I doubt that they exist. Honestly though, I want to believe.

Ravonium

I wonder if they'll include cryptids that look like prehistoric animals in this potential 'cryptids' line (e.g. Loch Ness Monster, Mokele-mbembe)?

If so, I'll be interested to see if Doug's standards of anatomical accuracy change when sculpting these, as opposed to sculpting 'actual' prehistoric animals  >:D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ravonium on August 10, 2018, 07:12:54 PM

If so, I'll be interested to see if Doug's standards of anatomical accuracy change when sculpting these, as opposed to sculpting 'actual' prehistoric animals  >:D

He's going to have to rely on eye witness reports and testimonials from indigenous populations.

How about Indava and Ropen Dimorphodons with glow-in-the-dark tails?

Doug Watson

Unfortunately I have never been asked to do any of the cryptids or mythical creatures but I would love to. I grew up on the mythical creatures in Ray Harryhausen films and was fascinated by bigfoot accounts after the Patterson film. I would have really enjoyed doing that bigfoot. As it is Safari Ltd always has more extant and extinct animals on their wish list than I have time to do in a year.

Gwangi

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 10, 2018, 08:21:44 PM
Unfortunately I have never been asked to do any of the cryptids or mythical creatures but I would love to. I grew up on the mythical creatures in Ray Harryhausen films and was fascinated by bigfoot accounts after the Patterson film. I would have really enjoyed doing that bigfoot. As it is Safari Ltd always has more extant and extinct animals on their wish list than I have time to do in a year.

Well hopefully if they ever decide to do the cryptids based on prehistoric animals you'll be the go-to guy. Would be interesting to see your take on a deliberately outdated looking Mokele-mbembe or a Nessie complete with humps and horns.

Also, I see our similar interests doesn't start and end with extinct and extant animals. I own most of the Harryhausen films, a few collectibles too even. The cyclops and dragon from "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" and one of the skeletons from "Jason and the Argonaughts", all by X-plus I believe.

I still remember the first time I saw the Patterson footage, it blew my mind. I must have been about 9 years old (the perfect age for it) and it was on an episode of Mysterious World. I was absolutely certain I was seeing a real flesh and blood animal, and couldn't be convinced otherwise. I can only imagine what went through the minds of the people that saw it when it originally aired. It was equal parts fascinating, exhilarating, and terrifying. I only really gave up on sasquatch about a decade ago but it was the cryptid I held out the most hope for.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnd I've been a long time listener to the Monster Talk podcast which you should definitely check out if you haven't. I enjoy the stories, folklore, and legends about our modern-day monsters, even if I doubt that they exist. Honestly though, I want to believe.

I don't think they exist either, but even so, they're a lot of fun to read about.

I have a sofubi figure of the Flatwoods monster. It's probably my favourite cryptid/alien because of how bizarre it is. I would really like a line of toys based on all the different types of aliens. You know, the greys, the nordics, etc.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 10, 2018, 09:31:15 PM
QuoteAnd I've been a long time listener to the Monster Talk podcast which you should definitely check out if you haven't. I enjoy the stories, folklore, and legends about our modern-day monsters, even if I doubt that they exist. Honestly though, I want to believe.

I don't think they exist either, but even so, they're a lot of fun to read about.

I have a sofubi figure of the Flatwoods monster. It's probably my favourite cryptid/alien because of how bizarre it is. I would really like a line of toys based on all the different types of aliens. You know, the greys, the nordics, etc.

The more bizarre the better in my opinion, that's why I also like the Flatwoods monster. There is a line of Alien figures by Shadowbox Collectibles from the 90's but some of them are pricey and hard to track down.
https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=1247

Lizerd

Wait, if we are talking about cryptids, how about a Wendigo? Or maybe... Yunck? The creature?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

tanystropheus

Woah, I didn't know there were so many cryptid fans here. I remember the last time the topic was brought up, only like two folks would be unabashedly enthused about it. Maybe ya folks realized that changes in climate may force a few cryptids to leave their comfort/geological zones, and y'all don't want to look too pigeonholed into supporting a particular stance, especially if evidence were to suddenly emerge because of geological instability and such  ;) >:D

Lizerd

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 11, 2018, 01:07:57 AM
Woah, I didn't know there were so many cryptid fans here. I remember the last time the topic was brought up, only like two folks would be unabashedly enthused about it. Maybe ya folks realized that changes in climate may force a few cryptids to leave their comfort/geological zones, and y'all don't want to look too pigeonholed into supporting a particular stance, especially if evidence were to suddenly emerge because of geological instability and such  ;) >:D
Quite likely yes, if they are real. Most of them are blatant fabrications, they still make fun tall tales  ;D 99% if bigfoot is real he is going to become a rug.
So maybe yay some cryptids?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 11, 2018, 01:07:57 AM

I like cryptids the same way I like Dragons or Monsters, they're cool-looking fantasy creatures with interesting histories. Definitely not because I think they're real  :))

(btw Safari, pls make a Ropen or Flying Rod)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: