News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How do you like your bases on figures

Started by Brocc21, August 31, 2018, 04:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

I think bases are a great addition to any figure. The can ad stability to any model and allow it to look better on you shelf. However I think a non removable base is just a down side. Escpecially if it is just plane brown like the CollectA Bishonlongs base. It even has sculpted plants but they're just brown. I think ideally a base is best if detachable. Thoughts?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

stargatedalek

Bases that are detachable, or that the figure just sits on top of are definitely the best. Even a well done detailed base that the figure is permanently stuck to is a big pet-peeve for me.

If a base needs to be permanently attached, I prefer something extremely minimalist. Transparent circles underneath the feet is something that works well for birds, but I don't think I've seen it done for other dinosaurs.

mgaguilar

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 31, 2018, 05:07:18 AM
Bases that are detachable, or that the figure just sits on top of are definitely the best. Even a well done detailed base that the figure is permanently stuck to is a big pet-peeve for me.

If a base needs to be permanently attached, I prefer something extremely minimalist. Transparent circles underneath the feet is something that works well for birds, but I don't think I've seen it done for other dinosaurs.

That sounds like an absolutely AMAZING idea. I wonder why it hasn't hit this market yet? Not for lack of creativity I presume.
Maybe because the avians are much more associated with an "above-the-ground" visualization, in which the thicknesses of the (what I assume to be) plexiglass or acrylic may appear to give.
Either way, thank you for the idea! I have a ton of leftover acrylic at work I can lasercut to sizes just large enough to stabilize my figures.

Ravonium

I personally don't care that much for bases either way, but I agree that CollectA bases are in a unfortunate middle ground where they aren't simplistic enough to be considered minimalist, but are too simplistic to serve any aesthetic purpose. Personally, I think the company whose bases I could envision CollectA's bases being more like (for the better) the most is Colorata.

DragonRider02

I don't care much for the bases. I prefer them to oversized feet. But it would be nice if CollectA painted theirs a Little bit.

Lizerd

I would say bases are better than oversized feet, but there are ways around making something balance out without oversizing feet or adding a base, such as a lighter internal structure or better balancing. However if the base looks nice I am all for bases that not only are pretty or good looking (like the safari giganotosaurus) but also are detachable, that I think is the best kind of base.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Faelrin

This topic comes up all the time, and I know for a fact I'm just repeating myself at this point, but here goes:

I prefer my bases optional, instead of permanently fused to the figure, and looking like scenery, even if it is something as simple as some mud. Because a well done scenic base can be used with more then just the figure it came with. Scenic bases also can serve to create dioramas (like the BotM accessory packs). Permanent bases are a bit immersion breaking for me since they are essentially a part of the figure, and can get in the way of looking it over when it isn't just on a shelf. The only plus permanent bases offer is stability, and better proportions, pose, and smaller feet and even that can be a catch for figures that might still be top heavy enough to sag over time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

IrritatorRaji

For me, it depends. I can sometimes live with a permanent base if it's really well sculpted, is 100% needed to make the model stand, and / or compliments the model (kinda like with this Spinosaurus model that I own, David Krent's Einiosaurus, or anything by Sideshow).

That being said though, I like my bases detectable or non-existent. For me it completely ruins a model when a base is permanently attached, especially if it's such a poorly sculpted base (e.g All of CollectA's bases). For me, dinosaur models are at their most beautiful when their feet aren't glued to a chunk of plastic.

Brocc21

Thanks for all your answers. Sorry if this question gets asked a lot. Just love knowing what the people think!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Shonisaurus

I honestly like the bases of toys of dinosaurs to give an example not removable, for example the giganotosaurus of Safari or tyrannosaurus feathered of Collecta, but if it can be without bases and not removable and with figures whose feet are small and do not fall better examples are the Vitae syraptor or the feathered tyrannosaurus of Collecta 2018.

I'm not a fan of removable bases, for example the figures of Rebor, they endanger the balance of my prehistoric animals in my shelves.

Halichoeres

Any solution to bipeds is going to make someone or other mad, so I'm pretty forgiving of whatever companies come up with. Even CollectA's bases don't really bother me from an aesthetic perspective, although obviously I would prefer Colorata-style detachable bases, or the clear bases SGD mentions (member Kovu once mentioned these were common with horse figures as well). What drives me up the wall with CollectA bases is that they often fail to keep figures upright, especially theropods that are in a head-down pose. Over time most of their ankles seem to sag, and they're just as on-the-ground as if they'd had no base. The Bistahieversor and Ichthyovenator are notorious examples of this, but the Xiongguanlong does it too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.