News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

I really hope Safari (or CollectA) will consider making "Evolution of [insert dinosaur family]" tubes.

Would definitely be interested in a "Evolution of Ceratopsians" set, where the set would include primitive ceratopsians like Yinlong and/or Psittacosaurus, and gradually build up to later more derived ceratopsids like Triceratops and pentaceratops.
IMO this would be a great way to teach kids about dinosaur evolution, and would also make a neat display piece for collectors  ^-^

Loon

I'd really like a Kana-hebi style pelsiosaur. Also, maybe some new pachycephalosaurs? I'd figure after Fallen Kingdom they're a little bit more popular.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on March 26, 2019, 08:13:49 PM
I'd really like a Kana-hebi style pelsiosaur. Also, maybe some new pachycephalosaurs? I'd figure after Fallen Kingdom they're a little bit more popular.

I would like figures of every animal in his forthcoming book.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

As commented in other posts by other DTF members, I would like a pterosaurs tube to be commercialized.

TaranUlas

I completely and utterly support the Permian toob idea. Dear god, we need something like that and besides it would be really cool to see what all they come up for it. Maybe we'd get some new models for it.

As for more standalone species:

(Paleozoic goodness)
Arthropleura
Eryops
Dinogorgon
Anomalocaris
Proterosuchus

(Mesozoic Wonders)
Utahraptor (Now that we have more complete remains, I think we can get a more accurate one)
Deinonychus
Nothronychus (Safari doesn't really have a great Therizinosaur and Therizinosaurus is a tad over done)
Concavenator (One of my bigger regrets in dino collecting is missing Carnegie's rendition of the species)
Miragaia (See above)
Majungasaurus
Dsungaripterus
Prognathodon
Deinosuchus/Sarcosuchus (Don't need both, but one of them would be fine.)

(Cenozoic Beauties)
Paraceratherium (Collecta's cancelled one wasn't the greatest so having an up to date one would be really cool)
Short faced bear
Phorusrhacos (We could do with a terror bird)
Livyatan (Carnivorous murder whales always work well)
Sebecus
Thylacosmilus (Strangely there doesn't appear to be very many of this animal in toy form)

Obviously there are far more I could name and would like, but these are just some that I would definitely really enjoy if we got from Safari.

Shonisaurus

A paraceratherium again and / or a thylacosmilus on Safari's part would be two great figures. They are very underrepresented in the toy market. I prefer a paraceratherium of Doug Watson to the one that existed in Collecta.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 02, 2019, 08:41:54 AM
A paraceratherium again and / or a thylacosmilus on Safari's part would be two great figures. They are very underrepresented in the toy market. I prefer a paraceratherium of Doug Watson to the one that existed in Collecta.
Yeah, I'd really like to see what Doug could do with a paraceratherium in the 1/20 -1/30  size range. It would be substantial, hopefully not too large to merchandise. Not CollectA's 1/40 scale, which would make it incompatible with the current Safari/ CollectA mammals. His sculpts are substantive, of well-fed, successful animals - very appropriate for this creature. No heroin chique look!

TaranUlas

Quote from: SidB on April 02, 2019, 05:36:23 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 02, 2019, 08:41:54 AM
Yeah, I'd really like to see what Doug could do with a paraceratherium in the 1/20 -1/30  size range. It would be substantial, hopefully not too large to merchandise. Not CollectA's 1/40 scale, which would make it incompatible with the current Safari/ CollectA mammals. His sculpts are substantive, of well-fed, successful animals - very appropriate for this creature. No heroin chique look!

I agree with that scale range (from calculating it out, it would be around 13.40-8.92 inches tall if we assume a similar pose to the Collecta one. Obviously those are both estimates and it ultimately would come down to both Doug's own interpretation of a good pose and his own research dictating the correct size.) I would love it at about 1:25 since it would be closer in scale to the American Mastodon there. The only issue I see with it is that you probably can't really do a sauropod in the same year as it too easily and it is not as popular as a sauropod as far as I know (Basing this on Safari's popular listing and how few prehistoric mammals tend to be there.)

Kileskus

Majungasaurus: there are not many figures for this wonderful theropod, Collecta one looks bland and outdated, Vitae one has too small circulation. Safari really should do with it same thing that they did with carnotaurus.
Apatosaurus: would be a great addition to their Morrison dinosaurs. Old model is not very accurate and good-looking, to say honestly.
Non-parasaurolophus lambeosaurine: there are very few figures of these guys, and they are not very good.
Not-tyrannosaurus tyrannosaurid: exactly the same thing.
Centrosaurus or chasmosaurus: two classic, very well-known ceratopsid that lack a good figures. Its strange that companies make figures of fragmentary taxa but forget about these.
I am not very interested to non-dinosaur figures, because there too few of them to start making a collection. Sorry for maybe bad english, its not my native language.

Concavenator

Having seen this year's  wonderful Camarasaurus, I would absolutely want a diplodocid from Doug.I'm not a fan of the current Safari Apatosaurus, but a new version sure would be impressive.

Silvanusaurus

Megalosaurus! Come on, such a historically important dinosaur and not a single up to date toy? Safari would definitely do it justice. 
Also a Rhynchosaurus.

alexeratops

I may have commented on this thread previously, but here's some of my ideas.

Abelisaurids. They're so bizarre, I'd love to see more.
More pterosaurs. Their new Pteranodon is really nice.
As previously mentioned by many people, eurypterids would be such a sweet surprise. They\d give me a nostalgia throwback to Nigel Marvin's 7 Deadliest Seas documentary, lol.
I think it'd be really nice to get a new Protoceratops. Or maybe some small ornithiscians. Frankly, any small herbivores sculpted using a small scale would be nice.
like a bantha!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kileskus on April 13, 2019, 09:35:18 PM

I am not very interested to non-dinosaur figures, because there too few of them to start making a collection. Sorry for maybe bad english, its not my native language.

They're out there if you look for them! I have almost 300 non-dinosaur prehistoric figures representing around 250 species.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I'd really like to see Pachycephalosaurus, either by Doug or the mystery artist. Yes, there are already lots of toys of this genus, but not very many are all that great. The best one right now is the 2013 CollectA version, and even it's pretty small.

Heck, Doug could even tie it in with his Dracorex by giving them the same colour scheme!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dino Scream3232

I would definitely want more Morrison dinosaurs like Camptosaurus, Barosaurus, Ornitholestes, and a updated Apatosaurus. Would also like to see different Dromaeosaurs other than velociraptor. A Deinonychus would be great along with a Tenontosaurus.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Dino Scream3232 on May 03, 2019, 12:25:03 AM
I would definitely want more Morrison dinosaurs like Camptosaurus, Barosaurus, Ornitholestes, and a updated Apatosaurus. Would also like to see different Dromaeosaurs other than velociraptor. A Deinonychus would be great along with a Tenontosaurus.
What about a Mymoorapelta? That's a Morrison Formation dinosaur that noone has ever made a figure of. (I'd also love a live Tenontosaurus and the others)
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

An ornithocheirus would be a good addiction for Safari.
A peteinosaurus would be another pretty good figure, dsungaripterus, ptedodaustro, eurodimorphodon, preondactylus, gallodactylus, germanodactylus, tropeognatus (which makes us forget his Mojo counterpart).
Ornitholestes, a plateosaurus (there are not many of them in the market) a muttaburrasaurus (there are not many of them decent in the current market), shonisaurus, cryptoclidus, ophthalmosaurus.

Among the amphibians a koolasuchus, cacops or a diplocaulus.

Prehistoric mammals paraceratherium, elasmotherium (which makes the competition to Collecta), an Irish elk, a diprotodon, basilosaurus (of an acceptable size), teleoceras, moschops (ancestor of prehistoric mammals), placerias, lystrosaurus (although those two prehistoric animals they are mamiferoid reptiles), eusmilus, sivatherium, procoptodon.

A deinosuchus, sarcosuchus, purussaurus, smilosuchus or redondasaurus (like prehistoric crocodiles).

As a prehistoric fish, an updated megalodon that replaces its previous version with a larger size.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 03, 2019, 12:47:22 AM
An ornithocheirus would be a good addiction for Safari.

The figure labeled simply "Pterosaur" is an ornithocheirid of some sort. I use it to stand in for any species in the family when the situation demands it.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on May 05, 2019, 09:36:44 PM
The figure labeled simply "Pterosaur" is an ornithocheirid of some sort. I use it to stand in for any species in the family when the situation demands it.

I always thought it was meant to represent Siroccopteryx/Coloborhynchus moroccensis.

suspsy

Quote from: Vidusaurus on May 22, 2019, 01:51:29 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on May 05, 2019, 09:36:44 PM

I always thought it was meant to represent Siroccopteryx/Coloborhynchus moroccensis.

No, apparently it represents an African species that has still not been given a name.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/03/031218.pterosaur.shtml
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: