News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Mattel has released a couple very nice JP Gallimimus. Yeah it's not Papo..I know.. lol

Shonisaurus

I'll wait for anything but honestly could give a date of disclosure of the pictures of Papo's promotion figures next year. I am eager to see the ceraptoside, gallimimus, allosaurus, maiasaura and camarasaurus as Papo news.

For that I am going to fool myself I will also buy the new versions of triceratops and tyrannosaurus rex brown paint even if I bought the exclusive figure to Pako (member of the forum).

Saurox

Hopefully Papp aren't as seedy as to re-release the brown running T. rex. I've always though reissuing the same model as a cop-out

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 29, 2018, 04:44:45 PM
Mattel has released a couple very nice JP Gallimimus. Yeah it's not Papo..I know.. lol

I've been waiting a long time for it. The Legacy JP Gallimimus. I have to drop by Target one of these days. Also, the Tyco Struthiomimus is quite nice, and aside from the pronated hands, aged rather gracefully.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 29, 2018, 06:56:56 PM

I've been waiting a long time for it. The Legacy JP Gallimimus. I have to drop by Target one of these days. Also, the Tyco Struthiomimus is quite nice, and aside from the pronated hands, aged rather gracefully.

Totally agreed.

Zhuchengotyrant

As long as there is a Pentaceratops, I'm happy. I never cared much for them, but ever since I satrted playing Jurassic World Evolution, I really, really love them. Probably my second or third favorite ceratopsian
-Zhuchengotyrant

Atokensis

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on November 30, 2018, 02:28:33 AM
As long as there is a Pentaceratops, I'm happy. I never cared much for them, but ever since I satrted playing Jurassic World Evolution, I really, really love them. Probably my second or third favorite ceratopsian

Well.. it looks like a Pentaceratops. Could even be Coahuilaceratops or a stylized Torosaurus.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Atokensis @Atokensis If you give me a choice I would prefer a coahuilaceratops is a rare ceraptoside in the toy market and I honestly do not believe that to date has been made by any brand any figure of that ceraptoside.

As a second option I would prefer a stylized torosaurus by Papo. Why? because it is a kind of ceraptoside still poorly represented in the toy market. Except Schleich, Safari (Doug torosaurus "Sue and friends") and WWD there are not many paleoartistic representations in PVC of this emblematic dinosaur.

Finally the pentaceratops. I think it's pretty well represented by Schleich (although it has defects in the legs as indicated by members of DTF) and on the other hand Favorite has made an exceptional figure in its exclusive version. I think that with these two paleoartistic representations are enough, although I tend to think that it will be a pentaceratops by Papo, for a simple reason they want to compete with Schleich's as is logical and it is a dinosaur from my commercial point of view, something what I understand

All the news of Papo 2019 is revealed photos I guess we will know them in late December and even early January at that time I will not be in the forum because I leave Christmas holidays with relatives outside my usual home and I will certainly not use Internet until well into January.

hao_bao

Aren't Mattel's products hollow plastic with visible joints and screws?

MLMjp

Quote from: hao_bao on November 30, 2018, 11:48:02 AM

Aren't Mattel's products hollow plastic with visible joints and screws?
How you dare to say that!
You are confusing them with Hasbro who did with the Jurassic World toy line in 2015. Mattel figures are vastly superior, more solid, and don't have screw holes. Also the joints blend much better to the figures overall appearance than Hasbro's.

Faelrin

Some of the figures are hollow (such as the EC Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus, which is fine considering how large they are, it keeps it lighter for kids to play with), but no they don't have screw holes (unless you count the electronic ones, where that is a necessity to change the batteries, but that is on the belly and out of sight and mind). Most of the others are pretty solid. Visible seams is sometimes a necessity that can't be avoided if the figure has articulation, or action features, but many of the figures action features have been really well implemented (like the Roarivores that have a button that is subtle and blends in with the backs of the figures).

I think it would be interesting to see how Papo would do a Gallimimus now that they've done the Compsognathus, if not one of the creatures from Fallen Kingdom (Mosasaurus, Stygimoloch).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

I understand that Papo will focus (except for some exceptions) on making dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (mosaurs) more or less scientific based on the JP / JW saga, for what I see almost impossible in the face of the rumors that had spread and hopes that some year ago the giganotosaurus that they thought they were going to perform. I understand that they will eventually make a mosasaurus as a marine prehistoric animal that will greatly enhance their tylosaurus.

I suppose that over time they will do a stygimoloch and the sinoceratops based on the JW saga. Papo except rare cases is based on pop art and for me it is not bad in the variety of philosophies of the various brands is excellence and I sincerely like the Papo brand very much for the beautifully detailed figures that they make and even for many figures that they are based on scientific reconstructions.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: Atokensis on November 30, 2018, 05:00:24 AM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on November 30, 2018, 02:28:33 AM

Well.. it looks like a Pentaceratops. Could even be Coahuilaceratops or a stylized Torosaurus.

Man, I would also love Coahuliaceratops. Another one of my favorite ceratopsians
-Zhuchengotyrant

dragon53

So does all this mean no Papo Giganotosaurus in 2019?

Concavenator

Quote from: dragon53 on December 01, 2018, 10:04:37 PM
So does all this mean no Papo Giganotosaurus in 2019?

There has been so many years that Papo was rumoured to be releasing a Giganotosaurus (but never happened) that I think Papo simply will not release one.  :P

Syndicate Bias

I came to the conclusion they are too mainstream so i just bought a resin kit from shane to make up for it

Renecito

If Papo begins to re-sculpt their worst prehistoric figures now based on decent documentaries, they certainly are going to catch my attention!
I want a carnotaurus re-sculpt!
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SpartanSquat

Why Carnotaurus? Its based in the Sideshow Model, maybe they will recolour it like the JW ones. Probably if they want some JW like probably they will release Brontosaurus based in Apatosaurus, a new Mosasaurus, new Baryonyx and maybe something like Sinoceratops or Stygimoloch

Atokensis

The ones I feel should be re-sculpted are Ankylosaurus, Armagasaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Baryonyx and Spinosaurus.

Also I wonder if Pentaceratops will have an articulated jaw.

Nanuqsaurus

Honestly I think Carnotaurus doesn't need a resculpt, it's one of the Papo's best sculpts already I think. The one that need a resculpt most is their Triceratops, it's just too retro for me. Even just a repaint would do wonders on the Trike.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: