News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atokensis

Found these photos from a papo dinosaur (fan) facebook group:

Shonisaurus

I understand that this allosaurus repainted by Papo 2019 is much better than that shown by Rupi Bolz. Sincerely the allosaurus has come out winning with this new touch of paint and it looks better than the video allosaurus, but it is not as beautiful as the prototype was.

Shadowknight1

I wish the blues were a bit more visually there, but this still looks good.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Reptilia

Wow, those pics look way better, might be the natural lighting. I prefer it there than on promo shots, I like how the vibrant colours are muted instead. It looks much more believable and/or naturalistic. I'm even tempted to pick it up, but I'm afraid to get a copy that looks as awful as those brown running rexes I've seen in hand a few days ago. Also, the quality of the material of this Allosaurus seems to me the lower one I've been talking about, albeit with a flawless paint job. It is a difficult choice, that's still my favourite Paposaur after all.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Reptilia on March 25, 2019, 11:10:17 PM
Wow, those pics look way better, might be the natural lighting. I prefer it there than on promo shots, I like how the vibrant colours are muted instead. It looks much more believable and/or naturalistic. I'm even tempted to pick it up, but I'm afraid to get a copy that looks as awful as those brown running rexes I've seen in hand a few days ago. Also, the quality of the material of this Allosaurus seems to me the lower one I've been talking about, albeit with a flawless paint job. It is a difficult choice, that's still my favourite Paposaur after all.

fully agree

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Reptilia on March 25, 2019, 11:10:17 PM
Honestly, if you're worried about the quality, I say order from Dan's or ED, from my experience, they tend to check the ones they send out so that the customers don't get a lemon.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Reptilia

Not a 100% safe option, sadly. I always ask retailers to check the models before sending them out, and still got a couple of let downs. Ultimately there's nothing they can do when they have the entire stock that is "faulty", exactly like that shop I visited had. The Allosaurus pictured above looks great, the one in Rupi's review pretty bad, so not sure if I want to risk on a repaint being my golden collecting rule avoiding repaints as much as possible. Maybe if I come across a good one in a shop, but it is very unlikely to happen in my area.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on March 26, 2019, 12:59:14 AM
Not a 100% safe option, sadly. I always ask retailers to check the models before sending them out, and still got a couple of let downs. Ultimately there's nothing they can do when they have the entire stock that is "faulty", exactly like that shop I visited had. The Allosaurus pictured above looks great, the one in Rupi's review pretty bad, so not sure if I want to risk on a repaint being my golden collecting rule avoiding repaints as much as possible. Maybe if I come across a good one in a shop, but it is very unlikely to happen in my area.

In my case I will buy the tyrannosaurus running brown and the allosaurus from Papo in 2019 in a physical store instead of an online store. In my store of the Museum of Natural Sciences will receive such figures, so I will buy them yes or yes in that store, apart from that I can choose in person which is the best dinosaur finished in painting and sculpture.

It's the good thing that physical stores have that you see the product in a personal way and you can choose which dinosaur you want to take. ;)

dragon53

I emailed Happy Hen Toys on February 3 about the new Spinosaurus. My impression was they had not heard of it, but they would ask their Papo supplier about it.
After a few emails since then, I was just told today that Happy Hen Toys will offer it at the tentative price of $59.99, and it will probably be available in September. This might be a good option for those in the US who want the new Spinosaurus.

Shonisaurus

I just received the repainted allosaurus and brown tyrannosaurus running from Papo 2019 from my Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences and I can affirm that the quality of both figures has diminished with respect to their initial counterparts. In fact the brown tyrannosaurus running second hand that buys a member of the Pako forum is superdetail with respect to the new version of Papo 2019. On the other hand, the sewing on the head of the Tyrannosaurus running brown of Papo 2019 is very noticeable.  :(

The repainted allosaurus of Papo 2019 is for me a small disappointment differs a lot from the prototype and most importantly its quality has waned.  :(

Concavenator

That may be a consequence of them having released so many figures over time.I know that Papo doesn't release so many figures every year but once you start having a few figures from each year, and they're all advertised to have so much detail, a point is reached where there just isn't physical time to give all the figures the same level of detail and quality, so the easiest way to diminish the effect is by applying that to the older figures; they might think that them being older means more collector have them and so, they will not buy them.

That's understood, but to a certain extent, because if you lower the quality of your products, it doesn't at all make sense for them to be more expensive.At least, they should have the same price tag.But all the newest releases are noticeably pricier than other year's , including the repaints ( which are sloppier than the originals) .I needn't come across a Papo Allosaurus now to spot the differences between one from now and another from 2008, just staring at a photo, the decrease in quality can be seen.

However, I imagine that the Spinosaurus won't have any sloppiness and will be good quality, as it will be a limited edition

Reptilia

I came to the conclusion that is just a matter of luck with Papo. Yesterday I found a toy and action figures shop that had a huge Papo stock, the biggest I have ever seen, and came back home with six new Papos, giving up getting at least other six not to go bankrupt! Got myself a BRR, an Apatosaurus, a Smilodon (older version), a Polacanthus, a Dimetrodon and a Carnotaurus. Just the other day I was ranting about the quality of some of those specific models, and now luckily I have them. Not all figures were perfect there, for example the new Allosaurus was rather low quality, but most of them were pretty good and I could pick nice copies for my collection. Now that I found a physical shop that stocks a lot of Papo products I think I will avoid to buy online, even if this shop is quite far from where I live it is always better to have the chance to check figures in hand before parting ways with your money.

Killekor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 31, 2019, 03:09:57 AM
I just received the repainted allosaurus and brown tyrannosaurus running from Papo 2019 from my Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences and I can affirm that the quality of both figures has diminished with respect to their initial counterparts. In fact the brown tyrannosaurus running second hand that buys a member of the Pako forum is superdetail with respect to the new version of Papo 2019. On the other hand, the sewing on the head of the Tyrannosaurus running brown of Papo 2019 is very noticeable.  :(

The repainted allosaurus of Papo 2019 is for me a small disappointment differs a lot from the prototype and most importantly its quality has waned.  :(

Thanks for the information Shonisaurus.
I actually think that there are 2 possible reasons for the decreasing of the quality of their figures:

1- they want to earn more money than before spending less money on materials.
2- they are in economical difficulties, like Bullyland. So they are decreasing the quality of their figures to prevent failure.

In both cases they are making a really stupid thing decreasing the quality of their figures. With this "strategy" they are discouraging the 90% of the people who buy their models (collectors) to get models from them.
This theory makes me worried about the quality of the upcoming Spinosaurus.
If reason 1 is the right one we'll certainly obtain a really bad quality figure such as the ones that Shonisaurus just obtained.
And if reason 2 is the right one we'll certainly obtain a great quality figure. In that case the accuracy choice and the fact that it is a Limited Edition denotes that Papo is trying to exit from the economical difficulties.

Plus, if reason 1 is the right one and I'll receive a bad quality Spinosaurus (as I said in another post) i'l NEVER get a Papo figure again, and I'll hope that that company fails like Bullyland.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Doug Watson

Quote from: Killekor on March 31, 2019, 02:36:51 PM

Plus, if reason 1 is the right one and I'll receive a bad quality Spinosaurus (as I said in another post) i'l NEVER get a Papo figure again, and I'll hope that that company fails like Bullyland.

Killekor

I have seen at least one other comment like this on the forum I can't remember by who and what company it was about but I commented on it as well,. This attitude it is something I really can't get my head around. You seriously want a company that has given you and so many others pleasure to go out of business because you may get a figure that doesn't live up to your expectations? If you are a serious dinosaur toy collector why would you want fewer companies and fewer opportunities for new pieces? Never mind the fact you are wishing for the loss income for many people who have never done harm to you. I have always been amazed at the quality of paint jobs of the Papo pieces and wondered how they could afford to sell them at those prices. It could actually be that they have been making them at unsustainable profit margins for years and are now realizing they either had to raise prices or reduce quality. Or it could be that the factory that has been producing them has substantially raised their prices to Papo. Either way I haven't seen a decline in the sculpting quality of their pieces and would still buy the ones I want even if the paint application has declined some what. And I would certainly never wish for a company to go out of business. I didn't buy Bullyland toys but I do mourn their demise and I pray Papo can survive.

Ceratosaurus

The Allosaurus pictured above is way better quality and paint application than that of the original colour I purchased 2 years ago. Also after watching a recent review the quality of the new Brown running T-Rex didn't seem that bad. The only noticeable concern I had was the way the seem around the head was more noticeable. I've seen this happen with many figures and it may not be a consistent problem. I feel with Papo you always get more than what you pay for in terms of paint application. There are many other brands who still don't come close.

https://youtu.be/hn-OBcq6Fb8
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on March 31, 2019, 04:20:44 PM
The Allosaurus pictured above is way better quality and paint application than that of the original colour I purchased 2 years ago. Also after watching a recent review the quality of the new Brown running T-Rex didn't seem that bad. The only noticeable concern I had was the way the seem around the head was more noticeable. I've seen this happen with many figures and it may not be a consistent problem. I feel with Papo you always get more than what you pay for in terms of paint application. There are many other brands who still don't come close.

avatar_Ceratosaurus @Ceratosaurus I would agree after watching that review the paint doesn't look bad. I have the original brown runner and I prefer it but this one is mainly lighter but still has a lot of Papo's attention to detail and I'd say the mouth gloss is better than mine. The joining of the head does look a little more noticeable but again I think it could be due to the lighter colour my brown and green versions are darker there and it helps mask the line. Having said that the joint on my green one is worse than my brown one. Also on the new one it doesn't help that the painter seems to have caught the joint with a dark highlight but still I don't think it is terrible, just the price you pay for movable jaws.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 31, 2019, 03:09:57 AM
I just received the repainted allosaurus and brown tyrannosaurus running from Papo 2019

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus could you tell me if Papo put a different date stamp on the new Brown Running T rex? My original has "(C) Papo 2012 Made in China" stamped on the inside of the left rear leg at the body plus there is another small circular stamp with a 12 on the bottom of the right rear foot.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 31, 2019, 05:10:32 PM
could you tell me if Papo put a different date stamp on the new Brown Running T rex? My original has "(C) Papo 2012 Made in China" stamped on the inside of the left rear leg at the body plus there is another small circular stamp with a 12 on the bottom of the right rear foot.

My 2019 Papo Brown Running Rex has "(C) Papo 2012 Made in China" stamped on the inside of the left rear leg but a "19" inside the small circular stamp on the bottom of the right rear foot.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 31, 2019, 03:31:38 PM
Quote from: Killekor on March 31, 2019, 02:36:51 PM

Killekor

I have seen at least one other comment like this on the forum I can't remember by who and what company it was about but I commented on it as well,. This attitude it is something I really can't get my head around. You seriously want a company that has given you and so many others pleasure to go out of business because you may get a figure that doesn't live up to your expectations? If you are a serious dinosaur toy collector why would you want fewer companies and fewer opportunities for new pieces? Never mind the fact you are wishing for the loss income for many people who have never done harm to you. I have always been amazed at the quality of paint jobs of the Papo pieces and wondered how they could afford to sell them at those prices. It could actually be that they have been making them at unsustainable profit margins for years and are now realizing they either had to raise prices or reduce quality. Or it could be that the factory that has been producing them has substantially raised their prices to Papo. Either way I haven't seen a decline in the sculpting quality of their pieces and would still buy the ones I want even if the paint application has declined some what. And I would certainly never wish for a company to go out of business. I didn't buy Bullyland toys but I do mourn their demise and I pray Papo can survive.

I believe the other company was Rebor avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson

Doug Watson

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 31, 2019, 06:31:03 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 31, 2019, 05:10:32 PM
could you tell me if Papo put a different date stamp on the new Brown Running T rex? My original has "(C) Papo 2012 Made in China" stamped on the inside of the left rear leg at the body plus there is another small circular stamp with a 12 on the bottom of the right rear foot.

My 2019 Papo Brown Running Rex has "(C) Papo 2012 Made in China" stamped on the inside of the left rear leg but a "19" inside the small circular stamp on the bottom of the right rear foot.

Thank you avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow at least collectors have a concrete way to tell an original from the new version, I wish they had changed the big script but they may use that to designate the sculpt.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I just connected to the forum and Doug my tyrannosaurus rex running brown of Papo puts the date of manufacture of 2012 on the top and inside of the right leg and on the hoof left below there is a circle with the number 19 on the right rear leg numbered from 1 to 12 (better said back hoof). I agree with the rest of the forum members in the location of the stamps.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: