News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Archosauria on November 02, 2018, 04:49:31 AM
[...]
However, I have to ask, why is there an Estemmenosuchus, a paleozoic reptile, packaged alongside cenozoic mammals? It's not even balanced out with other mammal-like reptiles such as dimetroron or edaphosaurus. It just seems odd to me.

Oh well. I'll still buy it  :))

avatar_Archosauria @Archosauria, I also thought it was strange that there's an Estemmenosuchus among a set of Cenozoic animals.  However, I think it's the same thing as when Dimetrodon is included in sets of Mesozoic (and Cenozoic) animals.  I've disliked when companies have done that since I was little, as Dimetrodon was basically the only Paleozoic animal companies would make so I ended up with lots of Dimetrodon figures that were useless due to a lack of other things to use them with.

Personally, I don't mind that CollectA is including Estemmenosuchus in this set, as I have no interest in any of those figures, and at least it means the figure that's out of place isn't yet another Dimetrodon.  Although I can understand how it can bother some people.

MLMjp

That Caiuajara is very well done, but being part of the super sized Collecta range puts it inmediately out of my list.

However, that Borealopelta could have a spot in my collection. Good genus choice for Collecta.

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Based on the retired models, I can speculate a carcharodontosauridae, an iguanodonidae or an hadrossauridae and even a spinossauridae .... so, I hope to see at least Tyrannotitan.  ^-^

suspsy

My fingers are crossed for more Paleozoic beasties and at least one dromaeosaur.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That Borealopelta is magnificent, a must buy. I'm glad they did it as a regular figure and not a deluxe as well. This is a figure I'd hoped (and half-expected) they'd do and it doesn't disappoint.

I haven't bought any of the oversized pterosaurs but each one looks more tempting than the last one. Not sure whether I will finally.

The minis look good, I'm tempted to get that instead of the deluxe Estomenosuchus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ikessauro

Quote from: Concavenator on November 02, 2018, 09:58:57 AM
The only one that interests me so far is the Caiuajara.Though there is actually one very silly error on it.

If you look at its throat,you will see that it has pycnofibers there.However ,it was proved that pycnofibers can't have been colored blue.However,CollectA still has time to fix that before it releases.

It is a great sculpt anyways,and even if  they don't end up fixing that,it won't be that hard to paint that part yourself  :P

Why is that? Can you provide some references? I am very interested in this subject.

Shonisaurus

The caiuajara of Collecta is beautiful and I do not mind having it despite its size on my shelves. Regarding that pterosaur along with the guidraco and dimorphodon I would like Collecta to make replicas of those pterosaurs apart from its Deluxe Supreme version in Deluxe or standard version, even in the mini version (if they ever get another box of miniatures like those of mammals prehistoric this year). It would be interesting to have metaphorically some "matrioskas" of pterosaurs in different sizes.

As regards the borealopelta, I would have liked a Deluxe version in line with the figures of the feathered tyrannosaurus and ceratosaurus of 2018, even if it was a little bigger. It is a pity that a dinosaur so well developed by the excellent brand of Collecta and so complete from the scientific point of view is only made to standard size or in the popular line. Deserves a truly outstanding representation.

Collecta miniatures of prehistoric mammals I see very well in the sense that that person not interested in animals not too prehistoric or want to save money can get that miniature version of most prehistoric mammals and prehistoric animals of Cenozoic and the estemmenosuchus of Collecta, it seems to me successful that they have commercialized the miniature of estemmenosuchus. instead of the dimetrodon since fortunately we have a good representation of dimetrodon figures of all companies with a quality unparalleled in the toy market. But the estemmenosuchus seems like a question of a psychometric test in the sense that it could be formulated as follows: what is the figure that is left over from the group?

The obvious answer would obviously be the estemmenosuchus because it belongs to the Paleozoic and the rest of the prehistoric animals of the group including the Kelenken belongs to the Cenozoic.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 02, 2018, 08:43:44 PM
As regards the borealopelta, I would have liked a Deluxe version in line with the figures of the feathered tyrannosaurus and ceratosaurus of 2018, even if it was a little bigger. It is a pity that a dinosaur so well developed by the excellent brand of Collecta and so complete from the scientific point of view is only made to standard size or in the popular line. Deserves a truly outstanding representation.
I'd say a small figure is still an outstanding representation and it doesn't need to be a huge figure to make a huge impact.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Minmiminime

Nice, a good start! The Borealopelta is a definite, and I could be tempted by the minis to plug the mammal-shaped holes in my collection without sacrificing too much space
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 02, 2018, 08:54:52 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 02, 2018, 08:43:44 PM
I'd say a small figure is still an outstanding representation and it doesn't need to be a huge figure to make a huge impact.

I understand your position. In my case I would have liked a borealopelta Deluxe size because in my case they are a "fan" of medium-large dinosaurs.

Fembrogon

^Who knows? If the standard figure sells well, they might do a deluxe version down the road. They've done that before.
Big or small, Borealopelta makes me very happy; a genus as well-preserved as this deserves LOTS of toys!

The Caiuajara looks good too; I think Colleta's tendency for gaudy color schemes works better with pterosaurs. The minifigs look nice as well.

Neosodon

I like the Boreapelta very much. I've always had a soft spot for nodosaurs. My only complaint is the paint application looks a bit tacky but hopefully that's something they can improve on.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

ItsTwentyBelow

Deluxe Caiuajara YES!! Will go so well with the other two pterosaurs.

Shut up and take my money!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

BOREALOPELTA!!! BOREALOPELTA!!! BOREALOPELTA!!!
I am SO excited you guys! The best preserved ankylosaur fossil is now Collecta's best ankylosaur toy! I love that it's 1:40, too! It'll fit perfectly into my collection!!!   ;D

On that note, I might get the prehistoric mammal set just for the Estemmenosuchus, haha! It'll be nice to have another Permian animal close to the 1:40 range as well. Pity it wasn't part of a Permian set. I've been hoping for years that Safari would make a Permian Toob.

I can't believe anybody hear complained about the colors on the pterosaur. If ever Collecta's so-called "war paint" habit made sense for any taxon, it would definitely be a pterosaur.

Do we know the average size of the figures in the mini set? I'm wondering if it might work to use the Kelenken, Daedon, and Uintatherium as smaller species in their families.

Ravonium

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 03, 2018, 05:54:04 PM
Do we know the average size of the figures in the mini set?

According to ED, they average around 3cm in length, with 4.2cm being the maximum height recorded.

suspsy

Do we know the average size of the figures in the mini set? I'm wondering if it might work to use the Kelenken, Daedon, and Uintatherium as smaller species in their families.

Nah, they're way too small, wouldn't even pass off as baby versions.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2018, 09:13:38 PM

There is no reason the Kelenken couldn't pass as a hatchling, but yes the mammals certainly wouldn't.

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 03, 2018, 09:34:03 PM

There is no reason the Kelenken couldn't pass as a hatchling, but yes the mammals certainly wouldn't.

Really? I thought for sure there were at least some smaller species of entelodont I could use the Daedon to represent.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 03, 2018, 09:34:03 PM

I don't know about that. Baby birds are different from their parents both in terms of plumage and proportions. I imagine a Kelenken chick would at least have fluffier or prickly plumage than an adult.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: