News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

With time Collecta could make prehistoric mammal based on paleontological discoveries.

The same can be said of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals such as the caiuajara. From this pterosaur could be represented the female and breeding based on paleontological remains.

Families of prehistoric male and female animals and offspring could be made as the toy companies make figures of families of current species, especially complete mammals.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2018, 11:40:22 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 03, 2018, 09:34:03 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2018, 09:13:38 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 03, 2018, 05:54:04 PM
Do we know the average size of the figures in the mini set? I'm wondering if it might work to use the Kelenken, Daedon, and Uintatherium as smaller species in their families.

Nah, they're way too small, wouldn't even pass off as baby versions.
There is no reason the Kelenken couldn't pass as a hatchling, but yes the mammals certainly wouldn't.

I don't know about that. Baby birds are different from their parents both in terms of plumage and proportions. I imagine a Kelenken chick would at least have fluffier or prickly plumage than an adult.
We know very little about nesting habits in terror birds, they may have needed to be relatively self sufficient shortly after hatching. The Kelenken figure from CollectA already has juvenile-like feathering, loose body feathers and more normal pennaceous feathers on the display features and wings, the only thing that makes it odd as a hatchling is that it's identical colour to the full sized one, but some quick paint would fix that.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 03, 2018, 11:32:26 PM
Really? I thought for sure there were at least some smaller species of entelodont I could use the Daedon to represent.
I'm not the most knowledgeable on mammals, but I highly doubt it. These minis are only about an inch long.

Bokisaurus

Ohhhhhh, wonderful start! I really love the pterosaur, the colors are just amazing, love the blue on it!
Too bad about the mini, no new species shown into the mix like they usually do. Hmmm, I wonder if any of them would be roughly 1:40 scale?
Okay, one pterosaur and 1 dino so far, can't wait till next Friday! ^-^

Ravonium

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 03, 2018, 11:32:26 PM
Really? I thought for sure there were at least some smaller species of entelodont I could use the Daedon to represent.

Of the entelodonts whose size is known, even the smallest one (which, to my knowledge, is Eoentelodon) is, at the scale CollectA makes their prehistoric mammals, too large to be represented by the mini in the set.

MoarCrossovers

I'm curious if any of the minis will be 1:72/76 scale.

terrorchicken

I knew they'd eventually make a mini prehistoric mammals tube and that they'd reuse their existing sculpts in mini form. I just hope this wont be the only offering for prehistoric mammals this year, seems they are less keen on releasing prehistoric mammal figures each year.

suspsy

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a Deluxe-sized prehistoric mammal in the assortment. I don't think CollectA is any less keen than they've ever been; they've been releasing at least one prehistoric mammal every year they've been in operation. I think we got really spoiled in 2015 when they gave us three.

I am willing to bet, however, that this is the only prehistoric-themed tube we're getting next year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

terrorchicken

yeah I guess 2015 was a fluke. I wish we'd get more than 1 a year.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 02, 2018, 08:41:27 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 02, 2018, 09:58:57 AM
The only one that interests me so far is the Caiuajara.Though there is actually one very silly error on it.

If you look at its throat,you will see that it has pycnofibers there.However ,it was proved that pycnofibers can't have been colored blue.However,CollectA still has time to fix that before it releases.

It is a great sculpt anyways,and even if  they don't end up fixing that,it won't be that hard to paint that part yourself  :P

Why is that? Can you provide some references? I am very interested in this subject.

The blue in modern bird feathers is due to structures, mostly on the barbules, that refract light to appear blue, rather than by the use of pigments. Because pycnofibres lacked the elements these structures are found on, it's highly unlikely that they could be blue. Pigment data from protofeathers (similar in general structure and complexity) is generally black, white, brown or red, suggesting that pycnofibres may not have been that colourful. DinoGoss has a few posts on the subject.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

suspsy

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 05, 2018, 09:15:38 PM

Come to think of it, we also got two mammals in 2017. Perhaps we'll get another water dweller this year. Ambulocetus would be lovely. Or maybe I'll finally get the Steller's sea cow I've been wanting CollectA to make for years.

Bottom line: extinct mammals just aren't as popular or profitable as dinosaurs, nor will they ever be. It's a shame for those who adore them, but that's reality.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Brontozaurus on November 06, 2018, 10:52:07 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on November 02, 2018, 08:41:27 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 02, 2018, 09:58:57 AM
The only one that interests me so far is the Caiuajara.Though there is actually one very silly error on it.

If you look at its throat,you will see that it has pycnofibers there.However ,it was proved that pycnofibers can't have been colored blue.However,CollectA still has time to fix that before it releases.

It is a great sculpt anyways,and even if  they don't end up fixing that,it won't be that hard to paint that part yourself  :P

Why is that? Can you provide some references? I am very interested in this subject.

The blue in modern bird feathers is due to structures, mostly on the barbules, that refract light to appear blue, rather than by the use of pigments. Because pycnofibres lacked the elements these structures are found on, it's highly unlikely that they could be blue. Pigment data from protofeathers (similar in general structure and complexity) is generally black, white, brown or red, suggesting that pycnofibres may not have been that colourful. DinoGoss has a few posts on the subject.
That isn't entirely correct however. We've seen mammals manage to create blue fur by layering colours together.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2018, 02:52:22 PM

Come to think of it, we also got two mammals in 2017. Perhaps we'll get another water dweller this year. Ambulocetus would be lovely. Or maybe I'll finally get the Steller's sea cow I've been wanting CollectA to make for years.

Bottom line: extinct mammals just aren't as popular or profitable as dinosaurs, nor will they ever be. It's a shame for those who adore them, but that's reality.

It's true what you're saying Suspsy. Prehistoric mammals and other prehistoric animal species will always be smaller in terms of importance to dinosaurs.

But it was not always like this. At the beginning of paleontology before the discovery of dinosaur species after the "War of the bones" of Cope and Marsch in the Victorian era were more important prehistoric mammals so I read if I remember correctly have read in the book of Walking with Beast (correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously after the discovery of dinosaurs prehistoric mammals were relegated to shelves in science museums to a second plane and that's why dinosaurs became popular.

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2018, 03:43:10 PMThat isn't entirely correct however. We've seen mammals manage to create blue fur by layering colours together.

Well, blue-ish. Nothing quite like what's on this Caiuajara.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2018, 04:26:19 PM

It's true what you're saying Suspsy. Prehistoric mammals and other prehistoric animal species will always be smaller in terms of importance to dinosaurs.

But it was not always like this. At the beginning of paleontology before the discovery of dinosaur species after the "War of the bones" of Cope and Marsch in the Victorian era were more important prehistoric mammals so I read if I remember correctly have read in the book of Walking with Beast (correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously after the discovery of dinosaurs prehistoric mammals were relegated to shelves in science museums to a second plane and that's why dinosaurs became popular.
I believe it was during that time when dinosaurs were considered nothing but big dumb lizards and prehistoric mammals became the 'in-thing' (I'm not sure if that expression makes sense to you?) It wasn't until dinosaurs were revealed as active animals that they shunted prehistoric mammals back to the sidelines.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

What I remember from reading the book of Walking with Beast (the one from the BBC series) that before the prehistoric mammals were the most important figures of the Museum of Natural Sciences in the museums of the Victorian era but that later they were displaced by the dinosaurs who are the ones who took the protagonism. I would have to reread that book to comment on the precise terms in which it explains how the prehistoric mammals were displaced.

suspsy

Dinosaurs had outshone extinct mammals long before the "renaissance" that began in the late 1960s'. I'd say it was largely the fact that the ones displayed in museums tended to be far larger and more impressive than even the biggest megafauna. What's a Smilodon compared to a Tyrannosaurus rex or a woolly mammoth compared to a Brontosaurus?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I would die for a Steller's Sea Cow!!! Ambulocetus would be cool too.

When does the next batch of reveals occur? This Friday?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 07, 2018, 01:49:52 PM

This Friday as every year we will have new news of Collecta 2019. We will have to wait less than two days.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 07, 2018, 01:53:36 PM

This Friday as every year we will have new news of Collecta 2019. We will have to wait less than two days.

Thanks!
You know what would be cool? If Collecta became the first western company to give us a Desmostylian! I want one of these tubby sea hippo/horse-manatees for my collection.
I keep hearing rumors that desmostylian toys are not uncommon in Japan. Is this true? I feel like they'd have shown up on the blogs or in the forum if so.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 07, 2018, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 07, 2018, 01:53:36 PM

Thanks!
You know what would be cool? If Collecta became the first western company to give us a Desmostylian! I want one of these tubby sea hippo/horse-manatees for my collection.
I keep hearing rumors that desmostylian toys are not uncommon in Japan. Is this true? I feel like they'd have shown up on the blogs or in the forum if so.

As far as Collecta everything is possible as for its figures. I would not be surprised if they did desmostylus, for Collecta nothing is impossible in terms of creation of obscure figures. In relation to Japan, I'm honestly not informed if they have made figures of that kind of mammal. For me, every prehistoric animal and even if it is not a buyer, any kind of animal that Collecta produces today is welcome.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: