You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gordodon, a new pelycosaur with gorgeous remains

Started by Halichoeres, December 06, 2018, 11:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Meet Gordodon (Sp. "fat" and Gr. "tooth") from the Early Permian of New Mexico.

Let's hope we don't have to wait as long for a figure as we waited for its cousin Edaphosaurus!

Open access: https://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2018/2343-new-eupelycosaur?fbclid=IwAR3i3xLwFEgS2UHQOPaElD5PrmuntIre8T8txGAI8LWspls2HmZsA3jhSHM
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

There really is a habit of naming those sail-backed Pelycosaurs after their teeth.

As for a figure? Well, companies might think that it is too similar to Edaphosaurus, which in turn might be considered too similar to Dimetrodon for them, which would explain the low number of figures.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Faelrin

Really good preservation there (even if a portion of the creature seems to be missing). Assuming that is the skin around the sail (almost looks like it has scales too. Hard for me to tell. I haven't read the paper yet, so I don't know if they cover that), then I wonder what was going on with that area around the head. Really fascinating to see another sail backed creature from the Permian too. Wonder what it was that led to this (I mean what was causing to be selected for in the first place). Definitely a highlight find of the year (at least for me).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

amargasaurus cazaui

Most of the lighter colored portions of the fossil are scratching caused by the abrasive tools used to clean the fossil and highlight the bones
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

On thing that's cool about this fossil is that it shows a pronounced gap (called a diastema) between the cutting front teeth and the chewing back teeth, similar to a hadrosaur, rabbit, or camel. This is the earliest example of that feature in an herbivorous tetrapod. There are some really nice images of this feature in the paper.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.