News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Flaffy on September 04, 2020, 05:04:15 PM
Has anyone other than W-dragon made a proper Giraffatitan figure?
If not then I assume that qualifies the W-dragon version for the USL

It depends.  Technically yes, it's the only figure that's been made specifically to represent Giraffatitan rather than Brachiosaurus.  However, many older toys sold as "Brachiosaurus" are actually based on Giraffatitan, since they were made when it was regarded as a species of Brachiosaurus, and its remains are better preserved than the type and currently only Brachiosaurus species, B. altithorax.  In fact, I believe the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus is either the only one or one of a select few based specifically on B. altithorax.  Even now, many 'Brachiosaurus' toys are still basically Giraffatitan.  So there isn't really a straightforward answer on this one.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Flaffy

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on September 04, 2020, 05:26:25 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 04, 2020, 05:04:15 PM
Has anyone other than W-dragon made a proper Giraffatitan figure?
If not then I assume that qualifies the W-dragon version for the USL

It depends.  Technically yes, it's the only figure that's been made specifically to represent Giraffatitan rather than Brachiosaurus.  However, many older toys sold as "Brachiosaurus" are actually based on Giraffatitan, since they were made when it was regarded as a species of Brachiosaurus, and its remains are better preserved than the type and currently only Brachiosaurus species, B. altithorax.  In fact, I believe the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus is either the only one or one of a select few based specifically on B. altithorax.  Even now, many 'Brachiosaurus' toys are still basically Giraffatitan.  So there isn't really a straightforward answer on this one.

Yeah that's the tricky thing about Giraffatitan, so many mislabeled figures. Hence why I added "properly".
I was under the impression that only figures that are marketed/labeled as their intended species can make the USL.

Roselaar

Quote from: Flaffy on September 04, 2020, 05:45:41 PM

I was under the impression that only figures that are marketed/labeled as their intended species can make the USL.

This is my stance on it as well. It's a tricky situation indeed. But for me, it's the name that sticks. Even if the figure itself is mnot at all like the real animal. But there's numerous entries in the USL with that problem anyway.

So I'll add Giraffatitan and Redlichia to the USL soon, thanks for the input! :)

Halichoeres

CollectA's Lisowicia, Pleuroceras, Caviramus, and Saltriovenator are all unique as far as I know. So is Mattel's Siats
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Thanks again for the input! Added Caviramus, Giraffatitan, Lisowicia, Pleuroceras, Redlichia, Saltriovenator and Siats.

Have Chilesaurus and Shringasaurus been done before?

indohyus

Roselaar

Oh dear, that might cost me a lot of extra work if I want to keep this list up to date... Could very well be totally worth it though! :)

BlueKrono

Now that there are 3 or 4 Wendiceratops she can probably get bumped from the list.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Chungkingosaurus can also be removed no PNSO made a second one.
I imagine the remaining Ceratopsids will be removed from the list soon too
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Roselaar

Noted, Wendiceratops and Chunkingosaurus deleted from the list. Also Medusaceratops.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on December 20, 2020, 11:41:30 AM
I imagine the remaining Ceratopsids will be removed from the list soon too

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. ;)

Roselaar

Can I add Collecta's Kamuysaurus, you think?

Flaffy

Quote from: Roselaar on April 26, 2021, 02:51:13 PM

Both Kaiyodo and C.S.Model Design have made Kamuysaurus. I don't think the CollectA one qualifies for the USL.

Roselaar

Quote from: Flaffy on April 26, 2021, 02:55:34 PM

Both Kaiyodo and C.S.Model Design have made Kamuysaurus. I don't think the CollectA one qualifies for the USL.

Kaiyodo has a Kamuysaurus? I missed that!

Bokisaurus

CollectA is the first to release using the Kamuysaurus name, but favorite and Kaiyodo released a figures of it last year(?) under the name Mukawa before the official naming.

Roselaar

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 26, 2021, 03:01:20 PM

CollectA is the first to release using the Kamuysaurus name, but favorite and Kaiyodo released a figures of it last year(?) under the name Mukawa before the official naming.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I googled the Kaiyodo figure, it looks pretty neat. I'll keep Kamuysaurus of the list then.

Thialfi

Did any other company than Vitae make a tiantaiosaurus? Or tiantaisaurus, depending on who you ask.

Roselaar

Quote from: Thialfi on April 30, 2021, 04:20:39 PM
Did any other company than Vitae make a tiantaiosaurus? Or tiantaisaurus, depending on who you ask.

Not that I'm aware. But then, I also wasn't aware that Vitae made one...  ;D

Seems like a safe bet for the USL!

Thialfi

Quote from: Roselaar on April 30, 2021, 04:55:23 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on April 30, 2021, 04:20:39 PM

Not that I'm aware. But then, I also wasn't aware that Vitae made one...  ;D

Seems like a safe bet for the USL!
That's great to hear, thank you for adding it! Vitae made two versions by the way, a light and dark paint variant!

It is a bit of a nomen manuscriptum, as in: the species hasn't been officially named, but it has been mentioned in a paper. It's a therizinosaur found in China in 2005.

Roselaar

Removed Avaceratops from the list. Also Siats, as Mattel made a minifigure too.

Has any other company but Mattel made a Chialingosaurus?
Also, is BotM's Spiclypeus unique by any chance?

Sim

Quote from: Sim on July 29, 2017, 05:56:25 PM
I did a search in this thread for "mesosaurus", and it appears the report of a Kaiyodo Mesosaurus originates from Reply #123 by dinocat?: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=763.msg19202#msg19202

Since dinocat was last active two days ago, maybe they could give more information to help confirm whether this model actually exists or not?  This would be helpful as no-one else seems to know this model exists.

Was the photo that was used in the USL for the Kaiyodo Mesosaurus provided by dinocat to show that model?  If the answer is yes, I think that suggests a Kaiyodo Mesosaurus might not exist, since as I showed earlier the model in that photo appears to be a Kaiyodo Tylosaurus.

D @dinocat, perhaps you missed the discussion about your Kaiyodo Mesosaurus?  It was removed from the Unique species list as there was doubt as to whether it existed.  Could you say if it exists so that if it does it can be added again?  Also, would you be able to provide photos of your Cymbospondylus and Mesosaurus?  There is no photo of them and it would be very helpful to have a photo of each.  Also, when you listed "Metoposaur" is it actually called that or is it called "Metoposaurus"?

avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar, following on from the last question above, I noticed on the Unique species list there's no entry for Metoposaur/Metoposaurus.  It appears only one figure of it exists excluding a Shapeways version, so I wonder if it should be added to the list?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: