You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A lichen-eroded pachycormid fossil from Antarctica

Started by Halichoeres, February 14, 2019, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This fossil is very incomplete, but based on its distinctive gill rakers, it's identifiably a pachycormid (like the much larger Leedsichthys). It was probably a toothless suspension (filter) feeder, and would have used these gill rakers to trap pieces of food. It's most similar to the pachycormid Asthenocormus but is probably not the same species. The specimen is also interesting because lichen had grown on it after fossilization, and had absorbed some of the minerals, leaving the bones pitted and eroded.

Here are the gill rakers:

(Acii are needle-shaped toothlike structures on the gill rakers)

Paper is paywalled but I may have a pdf for the curious: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2018.1524384
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures