You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurs were more agile than allosaurs

Started by suspsy, February 21, 2019, 01:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Lower rotational inertia and larger leg muscles indicate more rapid turns in tyrannosaurids than in other large theropods. Another reason why they rule!  ^-^

https://peerj.com/articles/6432/
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tyto_Theropod

Interesting finding. You'd think something less bulky would have more manoeuvrability, but it makes sense that the tryants made all that muscle count. Of course, I'm now waiting on other peoples' views on this theory...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

I always kind of thought this went without saying. Their legs always seem to stand out as proportionally longer than most.

Concavenator

Well, I'm not sure I would go as far as to say they were more agile when they were considerably bulkier.A ( approx) 12m long Tyrannosaurus is estimated to have a weight much higher than a slightly bigger Mapusaurus or Giganotosaurus.So that means they couldn't have moved as fast ( or as slow) as an allosauroid did.

CityRaptor

Now you are thinking of speed. Agility is different from speed. To copy from a website:
1) Speed
Speed is usually thought of in terms of "linear speed." That is, this kind of speed is the kind that has to do with moving your limbs, including legs and arms, in such a way that you can move as fast as possible within a straight line.

2) Agility
Agility has to do with changing direction quickly and effectively. Because of the definition of agility, it is not something you can get through building your lower body alone. Instead, you need to have a powerful and well-defined core.

Core strength works hand in hand with lower body strength in order to balance your speed and agility. Agility and quickness are both types of "speed" applied to different functional areas, but they are not trained in the exact same ways.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 21, 2019, 10:24:09 PM
Now you are thinking of speed. Agility is different from speed. To copy from a website:
1) Speed
Speed is usually thought of in terms of "linear speed." That is, this kind of speed is the kind that has to do with moving your limbs, including legs and arms, in such a way that you can move as fast as possible within a straight line.

2) Agility
Agility has to do with changing direction quickly and effectively. Because of the definition of agility, it is not something you can get through building your lower body alone. Instead, you need to have a powerful and well-defined core.

Core strength works hand in hand with lower body strength in order to balance your speed and agility. Agility and quickness are both types of "speed" applied to different functional areas, but they are not trained in the exact same ways.

Bingo. If you're being chased by a Giganotosaurus, it would be possible in theory to outwit it by abruptly doing a 180 and running right past it. The Giganotosaurus will have to keep going in the opposite direction for a few more strides before it can safely turn around and continue the pursuit.

But if you tried that same stunt with a T. rex, it would be able to turn around much faster and probably snap you up! ;D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: suspsy on February 21, 2019, 11:07:45 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on February 21, 2019, 10:24:09 PM
1) Speed

2) Agility

Bingo. If you're being chased by a Giganotosaurus, it would be possible in theory to outwit it by abruptly doing a 180 and running right past it. The Giganotosaurus will have to keep going in the opposite direction for a few more strides before it can safely turn around and continue the pursuit.

But if you tried that same stunt with a T. rex, it would be able to turn around much faster and probably snap you up! ;D

Carnotaurus is another good example. Based on some mechanical analyses I read about, it could run very fast indeed for a big Theropod but it was basically impossible for it to do sharp turns.

Just like it was basically impossible for it to juggle... ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.