News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fishy encounter (of the prehistoric kind)

Started by Bokisaurus, September 02, 2012, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Bucklander on October 17, 2015, 04:18:52 AM
Thanks. I'll check them out. And is Kevin named by Safari, or is that your own name for him?

I really, really wish Safari would make a toob of ancient fish (Arandaspis, Pteraspis, Cephalaspis, Dunkleosteus, Xiphactinus, Leedsichthys, Paderichthys, Eusthenopteron and Hyneria - apologies for any mis-spelt names) and any number of evolution toobs (Tetrapods (say from Pikaia to Diadectes or maybe Hylonomus, via Haikouichthys, Mylokunmyngia (sic), Eusthenopteron (again) Tiktaalik,  Ichthyostega, and Acanthostega,) Mammalia, Horses etc.

Sorry for the digression.

That's the official name!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bucklander on October 17, 2015, 04:18:52 AM
Thanks. I'll check them out. And is Kevin named by Safari, or is that your own name for him?

I really, really wish Safari would make a toob of ancient fish (Arandaspis, Pteraspis, Cephalaspis, Dunkleosteus, Xiphactinus, Leedsichthys, Paderichthys, Eusthenopteron and Hyneria - apologies for any mis-spelt names) and any number of evolution toobs (Tetrapods (say from Pikaia to Diadectes or maybe Hylonomus, via Haikouichthys, Mylokunmyngia (sic), Eusthenopteron (again) Tiktaalik,  Ichthyostega, and Acanthostega,) Mammalia, Horses etc.

Sorry for the digression.
I'm with you on that, especially the ancient fish toob.

SBell, thanks for the supplement. It's a bummer that with hundreds of rather completely known fossil fish species, many of which are very distinctive, the same handful of taxa get all the attention. Half a dozen each of Dunkleosteus and C. megalodon, and lots of generic coelacanths.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, the coelacanth I just posted is also an accessory for Takara's Spinosaurus, in which context it could not be Megalocoelacanthus but would have to be some other genus 25 or 30 milion years older. So, yep, it's just Latimeria again.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

So it's now possible for primitive-fish-fans to get the models I had produced (took longer than I expected... :o)!

I wanted to do proper photos like the rest of my photos, but I wanted to get 'actual photos' of these up right away!

Available here: https://faunafigures.com/category/brand/fauna-figures-fishes/

AcroSauroTaurus

They look great! You did a good job on the sculpts.
I am the Dinosaur King!

SBell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 23, 2016, 06:11:47 AM

I didn't sculpt--just commissioned for my store! Site member brandem did the hardest work--I just sell them! It was a small run to start, but I'm hoping it goes quickly enough to justify another 3 or so species (already have some in mind!)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 23, 2016, 07:23:08 AM

I didn't sculpt--just commissioned for my store! Site member brandem did the hardest work--I just sell them! It was a small run to start, but I'm hoping it goes quickly enough to justify another 3 or so species (already have some in mind!)

Oh, sorry! I guess I had thought you sculpted them at first, but nice species choices. Can I ask what species you have in mind? Or is that "classified" haha.
I am the Dinosaur King!

SBell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 23, 2016, 06:20:49 PM

Oh, sorry! I guess I had thought you sculpted them at first, but nice species choices. Can I ask what species you have in mind? Or is that "classified" haha.

No worries--just want to make sure credit goes to the right person!

And of course I hhave other ideas, but they aren't really secrets (I think there's something about fish on teh Animal Toy Forum somewhere).

I would really like to make a bowfin and a paddlefish, but I am not sure about stepping on the toys of Replica Toy Fish Company (although, of course, the products are quite different).

I am also thinking of things like the Aba-aba, various knifefish (black ghost, clown), American & African arowana, other polypterids (ropefish!), and mastacembelid eels, for example. Sticking mainly to freshwater fish (maybe some brackish ones). Maybe take some inspriation from River Monsters for other species--Hoplias, African tiger fish, Hydrolycus, Tarpon! My goal is to avoid species that have been made before (that are easy to get) and mostly the primitive types (not necessarily exclusively though).

And, of course, there could be limits based on their production and paint jobs (although I htink Brandon could handle it--the butterflyfish is probably one of the most challenging possible!).

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 23, 2016, 09:32:53 PM

And of course I hhave other ideas, but they aren't really secrets (I think there's something about fish on teh Animal Toy Forum somewhere).

I would really like to make a bowfin and a paddlefish, but I am not sure about stepping on the toys of Replica Toy Fish Company (although, of course, the products are quite different).

I am also thinking of things like the Aba-aba, various knifefish (black ghost, clown), American & African arowana, other polypterids (ropefish!), and mastacembelid eels, for example. Sticking mainly to freshwater fish (maybe some brackish ones). Maybe take some inspriation from River Monsters for other species--Hoplias, African tiger fish, Hydrolycus, Tarpon! My goal is to avoid species that have been made before (that are easy to get) and mostly the primitive types (not necessarily exclusively though).

And, of course, there could be limits based on their production and paint jobs (although I htink Brandon could handle it--the butterflyfish is probably one of the most challenging possible!).

I would like to see a Goliath Tiger Fish made, that would be cool. As well as all those other species, and its nice that you are choosing underrepresented species!
I am the Dinosaur King!

SBell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 24, 2016, 12:24:22 AM

I would like to see a Goliath Tiger Fish made, that would be cool. As well as all those other species, and its nice that you are choosing underrepresented species!

That's the goal--there are so many freshwater fishes (and animals in general) but overall they seem to get ignored as figures.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 24, 2016, 04:03:20 PM

That's the goal--there are so many freshwater fishes (and animals in general) but overall they seem to get ignored as figures.

Yah, I get why the popular species are always made, its because they bring in more money. But there are lots of other amazing species that I'm sure people will like. And its always nice to see those not so popular species made. ^-^
I am the Dinosaur King!

SBell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 24, 2016, 06:15:00 PM

Yah, I get why the popular species are always made, its because they bring in more money. But there are lots of other amazing species that I'm sure people will like. And its always nice to see those not so popular species made. ^-^

Well, I jsut sold out of my first run of Bichirs and Lungfish (!) so that's a good sign! Still have a few butterflyfish...and now to come up with others! And get more of the other fishes made!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 24, 2016, 06:38:13 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 24, 2016, 06:15:00 PM

Well, I jsut sold out of my first run of Bichirs and Lungfish (!) so that's a good sign! Still have a few butterflyfish...and now to come up with others! And get more of the other fishes made!

Good to hear that they're selling!
I am the Dinosaur King!

SBell

I just realized that I have lots of new figures that fit into this thread!

So now I am adding them! Most of the photos will have at least one familiar model from before for comparison of size.
ACTINOPTERYGII
CLADISTIA
Bichirs:

A few more bichirs--the very large P. endlicheri from Favorite, and two versions of the P. senegalus from Fauna Figures--the 'normal' and a special-request albino. Compared to every other bichir figure out there...it isn't enough:

CHONDROSTEI
Paddlefish:

The Fauna Figures Paddlefish, compared to the 3D printed one, and the Colorata sturgeon (scale isn't too bad):

HOLOSTEI
Bowfin

The FaunaFigures Fishes Bowfin, the only current model of this fish.

So I had to compare it to a couple of its living relatives--the 6" Replica Toy Fish Longnose gar (scale's about right) and the Colorata Alligator gar (just because).

And Lepidotes, a holostean fish that ranged around the world from the Triassic to the Cretaceous. The species is indeterminate. This one came as an accessory to the Real Figures Spinosaurus model. I only got the fish.

OSTEOGLOSSOMORPHA
The Bonytongues!

Arowana
The new Favorite Silver Arowana, a fish that isn't made much, with the Kaiyodo Aqualand arowana and a Yujin Asian arowana

Pirarucu & African Bonytongue--Family Arapaimidae

The Favorite Arapaima, a favorite species for many Japanese companies, is probably the largest onne available. And the other new one is the only figure of its kind, from the same family--the African Bonytongue, Heterotis niloticus

Heterotis is also called the African Arowana, but work indicates that they are more closely related to the giant Arapaima, despite very different appearances and lifestyles. African Bonytongues are strange fish--they are filter feeders in freshwater waterways throughout much of continental Africa (and have been introduced elsewhere, even into Madagascar, as food fish). In the Cretaceous they had a more worldwide distribution.

The 'other osteoglossomorph families'--Pantodontidae, Notopteridae, Mormyridae

in the FaunaFigures Fishes, we added one more of the osteoglossomorph species that has never been done--the African Butterflyfish Pantodon buchholzi. It is pictured with the 3D printed mormyrid and featherfin knifefish. Unfortunately, the mold for the Butterflyfish may be too damaged, and I'm not sure if it can be recovered. But we will work towards another eventually!

(now we just need an Aba-Aba to include all of the osteoglossomorph families. It's on the list eventually!).

SARCOPTERYGII
DIPNOMORPHA
African Lungfish Protopteridae:

For some reason, no one has made any African lungfish--until FaunaFigures Fishes. Just lots of Australian lungfish (I included a few in the photo--Colorata, Epoch and Yowies).

On the left is the original model, Protopterus annectens, the West African lungfish. On the left is a custom-request paint scheme for Protopterus aethiopicus, The Leopard Lungfish or Marbled Lungfish (but we will be stocking them from this point on). Although the figures are the same size and mold (they appear very similar), the real animals are quite different in size--the West African species is about 1m, while the Marbled can reach over 2m.
The protopterid lungfish (like the South American lepidosirenid lungfish) are more derived air-breathing specialists, with fully functioning lungs. Unlike the Australian species, these species are obligate air-breathers that (as adults) don't even have functional lungs. And they are all capable of aestivating--burying in mud during dry periods while still breathing.

ACTINISTIA
Coelacanth

It wouldn't be an Ancient Fishes post without at least one new Coelcanth model, from Japan of course. This is from the Ancient Fishes line from Favorite, and it is a big figure--pictured with the Safari and Colorata model, to give a sense of just how big! Plus, there is an even larger one (one of the large Vinyl toys) but I don't have that yet.

AGNATHA
CYCLOSTOMATA
Lamprey:

And we made  a FaunaFigures Fishes Lamprey, because it is about time! This one is an American Brook Lamprey, Lethenteron appendix. Although famous for being parasitic animals, the brook lamprey is not--juveniles (amocoets are bottom feeders (detrivores, if you're fancy), while adults don't feed at all--they breed and die. So the Safari Largemouth bass in the photo, roughly to similar scale, is perfectly safe!

And I really hope these photos work...

Bokisaurus

Wow, those are some beautiful figure you just added!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Might an extant sawfish be reasonably substituted for an Onchopristis? Or would there be significant differences? I'm thinking of buying Collecta's sawfish for this purpose.

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 29, 2016, 11:57:10 PM
Might an extant sawfish be reasonably substituted for an Onchopristis? Or would there be significant differences? I'm thinking of buying Collecta's sawfish for this purpose.

I don't see why not.

There is a model that is actually name Onnchopristis though--it is 1/72 scale, from Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/product/SH9G5QBH2/onchopristis-1-72?optionId=15933552

Halichoeres

I emailed Mr. Bejarano asking whether he might make the Onchopristis available in 1:40, although he never replied. Perhaps if he hears a similar question from another potential customer it might sway him.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 30, 2016, 04:38:09 AM
I emailed Mr. Bejarano asking whether he might make the Onchopristis availabale in 1:40, although he never replied. Perhaps if he hears a similar question from another potential customer it might sway him.

That could be a really big, really pricey model at 1:40!

I notice he hasn't really added much for quite a while either...

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on August 30, 2016, 01:12:59 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 30, 2016, 04:38:09 AM
I emailed Mr. Bejarano asking whether he might make the Onchopristis availabale in 1:40, although he never replied. Perhaps if he hears a similar question from another potential customer it might sway him.

That could be a really big, really pricey model at 1:40!

I notice he hasn't really added much for quite a while either...

I noticed that too. 1:40 would only be 20 cm, so not too expensive, right? The 1:72 is a little over $6, so even if material cost increases as the cube of length it would be...well, $48. Okay, a little expensive.

Bokisaurus

Well, I  had to pick up the Schleich Dunkleosteus when I saw it, and I it pains me to admit it, but I really love this figure, in fact it's now my favorite Dunkleo figure to date.
It has so much details and the coloring is much much better in person than in photos. There are so many subtle shades of colors on this figure, and much more believable, IMHO, than the Favorite or Safari versions.
Here he is with the favorite version just for comparison, notice the different versions of the tails.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: