News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fishy encounter (of the prehistoric kind)

Started by Bokisaurus, September 02, 2012, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

SBell

This seems like the right thread for this forum--maybe someone needs a shoal of gars or pike or sturgeon for a Cretaceous diorama!

I am not sure how many people are aware, but Simeon is ending his Replica Toy Fish Company.

His site is already clearing out what he has left (much of which was long gone as of this writing). There are some pretty deep discounts to be found though.

I have been able to get some for my store of course, but once they're gone, they're gone.

I was even lucky enough to get some of the unreleased Chain Pickerel!3 are for store, but I of course kept a couple for myself!

They aren't perfect, but they are rare! He doesn't even have them on his site.

But the good news--not sure how long, but he is rebuilding under a new brand--Toy Fish Factory! It will be similarly styled, sets of fish figures in tackle boxes.

The boxes will be themed, the fish will primarily be freshwater, and the range will be from around the world. I have only seen pics of the box art so far; the fish models themselves are not quite ready.

And if Simeon has his way, there will be LOTS of species. I've seen the proposed list...it's a good list. But no prehistorics, all modern.

BlueKrono

I have the longnose and alligator gars. Were there more gars than this in the line? Don't know if they were his, but I coulda swore I saw more (non-Kaiyodo) gars on the ATF.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 08, 2017, 08:07:21 PM
I have the longnose and alligator gars. Were there more gars than this in the line? Don't know if they were his, but I coulda swore I saw more (non-Kaiyodo) gars on the ATF.

Hee made a longnose, adult alligator and juvenile gatore gar in the 3" line later, as well as the original 6" models of each.

BlueKrono

Quote from: SBell on April 08, 2017, 08:25:28 PM

Hee made a longnose, adult alligator and juvenile gatore gar in the 3" line later, as well as the original 6" models of each.

Ooh, want all of those! My two are the six inch.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 08, 2017, 08:41:49 PM

I'll see you in a week...if you just need one of each, I can bring them along! Need a Lake Sturgeon as well?

BlueKrono

Quote from: SBell on April 08, 2017, 09:08:11 PM

I'll see you in a week...if you just need one of each, I can bring them along! Need a Lake Sturgeon as well?

You have them? That would be awesome. I'll bring some cashola. Not so big on the sturgeon, but the gar would be great!

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 08, 2017, 09:31:50 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 08, 2017, 09:08:11 PM

Yup, I can bring one of each. If you need dozens, for some reason, you can get a pretty good deal directly from the RTF site.

You have them? That would be awesome. I'll bring some cashola. Not so big on the sturgeon, but the gar would be great!

RobinGoodfellow

..some fishy additions to the thread:

..and a fishapod..

For info about figures, please follow the link, then clicking on picture you're interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157676690103994/with/31403933902/

:)

SBell

So I finally added one more post to my thread on the STS forum...and figured I could include some of them here as well!

These were all of my agnathans. It's not many pictures...!

I have them grouped into three sections—'cephalochordates', which are the proto-fish; 'ostracoderms', which are the majority of the fossil 'plated' agnathans; and the 'cylcostomata', which are the modern agnathans. A fourth distinct group, the Conodonts, is not represented by any toy models (that I am aware of). Maybe eventually? They are kind of interesting, and have been very important as fossils for stratigraphy. Plus, their research history is really neat—for the longest time all we had were small teeth, often in organized patterns—but it wasn't until some fortunate soft-tissue fossils (from Scotland, I think) did we know what they looked like—in the late 1990s!

I tried to include figures for scale; all of these animals are small in real life. And again, one of the figures used for scale is the Bullyland salmon, because I messed up. Just pretend it is a Bullyland trout (Salmo trutta. It would be far larger relative to the other fish...not sure how I came to use it!

One thing about this group—there are very few figures. For once, though, there are more fossil species figures than modern—but that isn't saying much.

CEPHALOCHORDATES:
The earliest chordates/proto-fishes
They aren't really agnathans—it just seems like a good place to start. Before even the agnathans!

Some of the earliest forms compared with a modern guppy (from Marmit)
L-R: ROM Pikaia, Prehistoric Panorama Pikaia; Yujin NHK Miracle Planet Haikouella

A little more derived, although smaller—the Feves ceramic Myllokunmingia compared with the FaunaFigures African Butterflyfish

OSTRACODERMS
Pteraspidomorphii:

L-R: Shapeways unpainted Doryaspis; Dinotales Series 2 Pteraspis; Starlux Drepanaspis; Yowies Lost Kingdom Arandaspis compared with a Bullyland Trout

Cephalaspidomorphii

L-R: Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 3/DinoMania Hemicyclaspis; Shapeways 3D printed Hoelaspis (unpainted); Shapeways 3D printed Hemicyclaspis (unpainted). Compared with Bullyland trout.

L-R: Shapeways 3D printed Tauraspis (unpainted); Starlux Cephalaspis (unpainted). Compared with FaunaFigures African Butterflyfish.

CYCLOSTOMATA

Myxini—the Hagfishes:
Only one model appears to have been made of a hagfish, from my FaunaFigures Fishes line. Well, there is one other—several years ago a 'slime hag' toy was available—a flexible rubber hagfish packed in a plastic tub with a powder that became a tub of slime when water was added. I have seen a review on a site called Bogleech, but that is it; I've never seen one available for sale.

FaunaFigures Fishes White-Headed Hagfish Myxine ios. Compared with the huge vinyl Favorite Coelcanth for scale.

Petromyzontida/Hyperoartia—the Lampreys:

Like hagfish, there aren't many toys. Panini makes one, but I have yet to get hold of it. And of course, there is one in my FaunaFigures Fishes line...otherwise, yeah, that's about it. Recently, the 'Tully Monster' Tullimonstrum was re-evaluated as a lamprey instead of a...mystery. But that was almost immediately disputed, so we'll have to see if the couple of models of that animal should be included as well! Not that I currently have any...

FaunaFigures Fishes American Brook Lamprey Lethenteron appendix. Compared with the Bullyland trout for scale.

Okay...one other lamprey. An indeterminate species, attached to the back of a CollectA Pliosaurus. Given the Jurassic age of the sea reptile...I can't find a reference to what lamprey species that could be.

This time with a diver for scale...those would be big lampreys!

***And a note for help***Still looking for the Panini Lamprey! In case anyone comes across it. And the various DeAgostini and DiraMix figures...in case anyone can come across those at all***

BlueKrono

If you are looking to add Tullimonstrum to your collection Jetoar makes a very neat one, which I bought from him last year. Comes with a nifty fact card, and the price includes shipping from Spain.

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 10, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
If you are looking to add Tullimonstrum to your collection Jetoar makes a very neat one, which I bought from him last year. Comes with a nifty fact card, and the price includes shipping from Spain.

It's on my list...definnitely more accessible than the small Medicom figure from Japan! Just a matter of priorities...!

BlueKrono

True that. My priorities often take me back to the prehistoric days of the 1920s-60s. But his figures were such interesting species choices I bought a big lot of them last year. I think I have all of his prehistoric inverts.

SBell

I have a few new ones for my line in the store...2 are properly 'prehistoric encounters' of sorts. One, not so much...
They're not on the site just yet, I had a couple of things to take care of first...but they're so cool

A South American lungfish

And with the rest of the family (the Queensland lungfish is the Colorata, the other two are from my line)

A freshwater ray--especially useful for a Green River scene! Although it's based on a motoro 'cause they're pretty!

And a black ghost knife...not very primitive...but nifty (note: I added the dorsal stripe after the picture was taken...)!

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 10, 2017, 02:10:57 PM
True that. My priorities often take me back to the prehistoric days of the 1920s-60s. But his figures were such interesting species choices I bought a big lot of them last year. I think I have all of his prehistoric inverts.

I have one of his--the Pachycrocuta. Because it's the best prehistoric mammal and I requested it! But with the CDN$ where it's at...I am holding off on others. For now. But I am building a wish list!

Halichoeres

New Colorata fishes:

Dunkleosteus

Cephalaspis
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2017, 05:23:25 PM
I have a few new ones for my line in the store...2 are properly 'prehistoric encounters' of sorts. One, not so much...
They're not on the site just yet, I had a couple of things to take care of first...but they're so cool

A South American lungfish

And with the rest of the family (the Queensland lungfish is the Colorata, the other two are from my line)

A freshwater ray--especially useful for a Green River scene! Although it's based on a motoro 'cause they're pretty!

And a black ghost knife...not very primitive...but nifty (note: I added the dorsal stripe after the picture was taken...)!

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 10, 2017, 02:10:57 PM

I have one of his--the Pachycrocuta. Because it's the best prehistoric mammal and I requested it! But with the CDN$ where it's at...I am holding off on others. For now. But I am building a wish list!

I'm glad this thread popped up again--as well as cool Colorata fish (which I might chase down...) I noticed that the photo for this post vanished!

And since I no longer have the original...new version!

Halichoeres

Shonisaurus

The Paleozoo mandageria as I have already commented many times is a masterpiece. It is a pity that the important prehistoric animal companies only focus on the coelacanth and dunkleosteus and at most the megalodon.

Except Favorite that made fish that are living fossils so-called "ancient fish" to date do not have much fossil predatory fish and even less prehistoric fish. With the exception of Japanese companies and some Asian companies, it is normal for classical companies to avoid this issue of prehistoric fish production en masse.

From the point of education for children it would be interesting that companies such as Safari, Collecta, Schleich and even Papo to give examples in or inagurasen if thematic toys based on extinct fish or living fossils, for example a sturgeon would be an "Ancient fish" "interesting or even a lamprey.

Halichoeres

Not much to look at, but at least a few companies are aware that Leedsichthys exists, which is an encouraging sign:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: