News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Kingdom

Started by Titanosaur, April 17, 2019, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on October 02, 2020, 03:30:52 AM
Oh my goodness. What a beautiful trailer, and what looks to be such a beautiful game. I don't even know where to begin. I mean I've been keeping an eye on updates here and there over the past several years. The accurate animals, and species roster is something else I'm in love with (though I truly hope they expand to including Paleozoic animals at some point, even if as DLC, if not at the very least the classic Dimetrodon).

The fact they managed to get Nigel Marvin to not only narrate the trailer, but to be a character in the game is amazing. Definitely brings nostalgia of the various Walking with short series (such as Sea Monsters), and the other things he's starred in related to it. So glad to hear his voice once again in regards to something involving long extinct animals.

T @Titanosaur The blog appears to have been deleted? Link isn't working anyways.

I did however find a species list here though: https://prehistoric-kingdom.fandom.com/wiki/Animals

I may just be able to barely run this game if going by the min specs on the steam page. Hopefully I can get a new laptop to play this game sometime next year. I can barely run JWE as it is on min specs (but well playable I guess).

Edit: I saw on the steam page the early access game will release with 22 animals to start with. I guess we've seen the bulk (18?) of those in the trailer maybe. I made a list of the ones I could spot anyways:

-Woolly Mammoth
-Woolly Rhino
-Edmontosaurus
-Smilodon
-Nasutoceratops
-Argentinosaurus
-Styracosaurus
-Torvosaurus
-Microraptor
-Psittacosaurus
-Deinocheirus
-Protoceratops
-Stegosaurus
-Parasaurolophus
-Lambeosaurus
-Camarasaurus
-Brachiosaurus
-Tyrannosaurus
Late response, but yes, there are plans for Paleozoic animals eventually. They also want to do Pterosaurs and Aquatics but nothing is confirmed as of right now.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Pachyrhinosaurus

The archaeopteryx looks great! I've been playing Planet Zoo a lot and it looks like some features have been improved upon in PK (aviaries, resizable rocks and better statues). I just hope the game includes a wide variety of construction themes like PZ, instead of being geared toward one style as seen so far in the trailers. It would be interesting to be able to have different approaches to the aesthetic of different buildings or parks.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I wish I could get excited about this one but I'm not a PC gamer, so JWE2 it is. Hopefully they'll release it on consoles eventually.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on August 27, 2021, 04:30:02 PM
I wish I could get excited about this one but I'm not a PC gamer, so JWE2 it is. Hopefully they'll release it on consoles eventually.
Buy the Steam Deck when it comes. Every game on Steam will be on that console iirc

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 27, 2021, 06:29:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 27, 2021, 04:30:02 PM
Buy the Steam Deck when it comes. Every game on Steam will be on that console iirc

I had never even heard of a Steam Deck until now, so thank you. That's a great idea.

GojiraGuy1954

PK newsdump from Goji again

2 new animals

Remade Triceratops

EA Trailer Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvNzuqszpY
Game release 27th April, Full trailer release Tomorrow

New instagram account (Only one post, though.)
https://www.instagram.com/prehistorick/

"✨ONE WEEK UNTIL EARLY ACCESS!✨

The full Early Access launch trailer drops tomorrow!

Revealing our 3 playable maps & EVERY species available at launch - There may even be a surprise addition that we've been keeping a secret! 👀

#PrehistoricKingdom #GameDev #Dinosaurs #Countdown"

GojiraGuy1954

GojiraGuy1954

Pachyrhinosaurus

I played Prehistoric Kingdom a bit today and I'm still getting the hang of it. The dinosaurs look great, and the controls and layout are very similar to what I'm used to with Planet Zoo. It's still a little buggy though, which is to be expected given that it's an early access launch.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

TaranUlas

Yeah, it's definitely an Early Access game. The bugs are there and it's clear that there's a fair number of features that aren't in just yet... but something about it is extremely compelling. I think it's the fact that they are accurate dinosaurs and mammals. I also think that it includes features that I like about other park builders while removing some that I find meh (Thank god for wind and solar power being so much easier to work with than generators. Also thank god for being able to release animals with just a mouse click instead of needing a bunch of vets to ferry the animals back and forth.) The dinos look and feel great for the price point as well as the struggles it took to bring them into this state. I especially love the Deinocheirus. They just look fantastic and their animations and sounds are fantastic.

My only real major complaint is that the tutorial, while nice, really skips over a lot of things. I still don't know how to resize objects and I don't know how to change the terrain too much beyond water and plants. I suspect it was probably partially the cost of Nigel Marvin, but I would greatly prefer a more in depth walkthrough in the future. Also this game is currently in a less than ideal optimization state. My computer handles TW:WH III at roughly around medium to ultra graphics (for those who haven't played it, that game is a massive GPU and CPU sink for most computers including mine with an Nvidia 3060 Ti and AMD Ryzen 5700) at about 30-80 fps. I got consistent 30-40 FPS at anything higher than low and the feathers look really bad on anything less than off for their anti-aliasing/physics. This is not a major issue since well... I expected some roughness there with day one early access, but just letting people know that you should probably set it to lower graphic settings before trying higher ones.

EDIT: The update that just happened an hour ago fixed the majority of FPS issues so now you will be getting closer to normal results with your setups. I can't run it on Ultra at higher than 30-40 fps, but I can do High now at 40-59 FPS.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: TaranUlas on April 28, 2022, 05:30:53 AM
Yeah, it's definitely an Early Access game. The bugs are there and it's clear that there's a fair number of features that aren't in just yet... but something about it is extremely compelling. I think it's the fact that they are accurate dinosaurs and mammals. I also think that it includes features that I like about other park builders while removing some that I find meh (Thank god for wind and solar power being so much easier to work with than generators. Also thank god for being able to release animals with just a mouse click instead of needing a bunch of vets to ferry the animals back and forth.) The dinos look and feel great for the price point as well as the struggles it took to bring them into this state. I especially love the Deinocheirus. They just look fantastic and their animations and sounds are fantastic.

My only real major complaint is that the tutorial, while nice, really skips over a lot of things. I still don't know how to resize objects and I don't know how to change the terrain too much beyond water and plants. I suspect it was probably partially the cost of Nigel Marvin, but I would greatly prefer a more in depth walkthrough in the future. Also this game is currently in a less than ideal optimization state. My computer handles TW:WH III at roughly around medium to ultra graphics (for those who haven't played it, that game is a massive GPU and CPU sink for most computers including mine with an Nvidia 3060 Ti and AMD Ryzen 5700) at about 30-80 fps. I got consistent 30-40 FPS at anything higher than low and the feathers look really bad on anything less than off for their anti-aliasing/physics. This is not a major issue since well... I expected some roughness there with day one early access, but just letting people know that you should probably set it to lower graphic settings before trying higher ones.

EDIT: The update that just happened an hour ago fixed the majority of FPS issues so now you will be getting closer to normal results with your setups. I can't run it on Ultra at higher than 30-40 fps, but I can do High now at 40-59 FPS.
Mau said on the discord shortly after the 2020 trailer's release that people thought that getting Nigel for the game must have cost an arm and a leg, but that it wasn't the case.

By the way, you can resize objects either by holding Left Alt or pressing V to go into the advanced options and stretching the object manually.

I've been enjoying the game a lot so far. I love the fur shader they have on the fuzzy animals, it makes them look so much more real, and soft to the touch. Just watching them walk around an exhibit is great fun, something which JWE never did for me. I think it's the lack of customisation that kinda kills the experience in that game. My first paddock was for two Torvosaurus, and I had a great time developing the water feature in the back of this screenshot;

I just can't get enough of the effect pieces. They make the water look so fluid and really capture the rapid nature of a waterfall.

The modular building system itself is also great. It took a while to get used to, but I have the basics of building down by now. I'm gonna keep practicing different techniques and seeing what works before I start my first real park, and I think it'll be fun the whole way along.

GojiraGuy1954

By the way, here's the game's public roadmap for versions after EA release;
https://trello.com/b/JAp8HMuy/prehistoric-kingdom-public-roadmap

GojiraGuy1954

Here's the latest revision of my Torvo enclosure. Every time I think i'm finished with it I keep thinking of new stuff to add lol

EDIT: Have this as well

paintingdinos

I am having fun figuring out how to use the water effect to make an outtake for my decorative pond's filter. What do you mean there are actual dinosaurs in this game??

The filter in question, along with decorative statue covered in ivy to look like bog goop.

Almost more fun than playing with the actual animals.

HD-man

I've been meaning to ask: There are male & female versions of each PK species, right? If so, are the males & females of a given PK species the same size? If not, which PK species have bigger males & which ones have bigger females?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: HD-man on April 29, 2022, 08:56:32 PM
I've been meaning to ask: There are male & female versions of each PK species, right? If so, are the males & females of a given PK species the same size? If not, which PK species have bigger males & which ones have bigger females?
Yes, PK has sexes and gender dimorphism.
In terms of sizing, it varies widely. Some animals are bigger as male, and some female. Even then, there is random animal size variation in the game itself, so you could end up with a larger male than female if the female is the larger skin by default.

HD-man

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 29, 2022, 11:22:00 PMIn terms of sizing, it varies widely. Some animals are bigger as male, and some female. Even then, there is random animal size variation in the game itself, so you could end up with a larger male than female if the female is the larger skin by default.

I'm specifically wondering about Utahraptor & Velociraptor, but if that isn't known, no worries.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: HD-man on April 30, 2022, 08:47:04 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 29, 2022, 11:22:00 PMIn terms of sizing, it varies widely. Some animals are bigger as male, and some female. Even then, there is random animal size variation in the game itself, so you could end up with a larger male than female if the female is the larger skin by default.

I'm specifically wondering about Utahraptor & Velociraptor, but if that isn't known, no worries.
Yeah those two arent in the game yet

GojiraGuy1954

I remade my initial Torvosaurus enclosure as part of my new sandbox park.

HD-man

EDIT: Never mind.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: