News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What If The Asteroid Missed??

Started by suspsy, April 29, 2019, 06:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

https://gizmodo.com/what-if-the-asteroid-never-killed-the-dinosaurs-1834377309

A neat article with tidbits by Thomas Holtz, Paul Sereno, and other experts. Short answer: dinosaurs would still be ruling Earth, but they wouldn't be much like the ones from the Cretaceous. No Tyrannosaurus rex, but rather a descendent with thicker plumage and perhaps no arms whatsoever.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

Here I thought they'd become farmers, and somehow humans would still evolve. Guess I was wrong.

Takama

Quote from: Loon on April 29, 2019, 06:41:05 PM
Here I thought they'd become farmers, and somehow humans would still evolve. Guess I was wrong.

The Power Hollywood has on the Squishy minds of the genaral public :))

UtahraptorFan

"Well, the answer in short is we humans probably never would have evolved to ask such a question."
-Paul Sereno

Then it seems we're fortunate that the K/Pg extinction did happen.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Libraraptor

This is an interesting read indeed.
Actually, this question is nearly  as old as dinosaur palaeontology itself.
I love the ideas of Dougal Dixon´s classic book "The New Dinosaurs".
And of course there is the iconic picture of the Troondotid that evolved into something quite human-like.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.